boomerang cota lambchopz school screamin serpent

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#81 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

I didn't miss the "inspired by" part of his post. My comment was "inspired by" Goliath's helix. Something looked off to me and others, and we commented. Just because we aren't drooling over it doesn't mean we shouldn't be commenting, does it?

But I see what you are doing then Gump. Can't wait to see how the final product looks.

Check out my blog: Life Is A Roller Coaster

(Coaster count: 504)

Blitzen Cyber Chase Prowler Tuscarora Ra: God of Sun Jersey Thunder Phoenix La Bestia Ripsaw

#82 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

If you can't see the pics, use a proxy server like Hide My Ass! Free Proxy and Privacy Tools - Surf The Web Anonymously or something, and copy/paste the image links into the url space.

As for the helix, I'm not 100% sold. If you make it look amazing and make it flow into the layout, then great. I like the concept, and I can't wait to see it finished. Also, if you didn't us commenting on the shaping... then why did you post? And if the shaping wasn't finished, you could have posted something along the lines of "The shaping is not finished."

#83 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

Members who have AT&T as their internet provider, can you see the pictures now? AT&T should have unblocked the website's IP by now.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#84 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

• 5251 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

I can see the pics now.

#85 poizone

poizone

Small Spaces

• 995 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

Glad things got sorted for you guys. Helix does look good, and I don't see any problems like these guys. That said, I'm sure we'll get a better idea after it's complete. In progress trackwork can change with future trackwork.

Currently compiling a massive list

#86 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

I have all six Infinity Stones

• 728 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

Wow. Nuff said.

#87 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

I have had a rough time since the last update, but last weekend I finally found time to do something again. I plan to build more next weekend. If things go extremely well I may even finish the helix, but I doubt that.

My way of constructing is that I am hardly ever satisfied with what I have built. I always see the flaws and it hardly ever happens that I accept them. When you take a look at the previous update, you will see that the twist, the change in banking, is very stretched out because of the use of grey rods. I didn't like that too much. Neither did I like the discontinuity in the downward slope of the helix. Now I accepted that it's nearly impossible to have that slope be perfectly constant, but I wanted it better than in the previous update.

Throughout the ride I have been using two types of backbones, the halfmoon connector backbone and the snowflake connector backbone. I was planning on using the halfmoon connector backbone throughout the helix. The problem was that it's really stiff. Well, how is that a problem? Since it's bent throughout the helix, these rods are stressed internally and supports would have to make sure the track remains in shape. This is no problem when the track is completely made out of grey rods and connected to the previous part (the top of the hill). However, as pointed out earlier, the twist would appear to be too long. I tried building a twist out of flexi-rods and then continuing with grey rods, but the stiff track would not keep its shape, ripping apart the flexi-rods twisting part. I was getting more and more pissed, as I saw the problem grow. This was still with temporary box supports, so imagine how hard supporting would be with tube supports!

Well, then I found the solution. I did use flexi-rods for the twist, but I had the grey rods backbone extend underneath / along that twist to the previous support columns. This way the grey rods in the helix remain in shape, the flexi-rods twist remains in shape and the tube supports only have to keep everything up (and resist the train's g-forces). Unfortunately it wasn't until Sunday that I decided on this method, so I did not have much time to actually make much progress. I hope to make up for that next weekend.

What follows are pictures of the construction with commentary to each photo.

Posted Image
Here you can see the grey rod backbone extend along the flexi-rod twist. The twist looks a bit better now, compared to this picture. However, I accepted that the heartlining is not perfect. It's a lot better compared to the last update, when there was no heartlining AT ALL.

Posted Image
This picture doesn't really give you a good impression of the trackwork. It's more of showing you that the extended backbone helps keeping the shape of the twist and the helix itself. Plus, now it's only really a matter of keeping the track up in the air.

Posted Image
The heartlining looks pretty good in this picture, in my opinion. And the extended backbone sure does its job.

Posted Image
And then I added the next set of tube supports. It's quite a challenge to make sure the lower part of the helix does not bump into that tube support. I still need to do some work on the overall slope of the helix. I had hoped to have the helix be banked at just under 90 degrees, but the start is really near 90 degrees. With the supporting being a major challenge, I decided to keep going with that 90 degrees, whereas it goes back down to ~80 degrees later on in the helix.

Posted Image
Partially disassembled. Start imagining how this will look without box supports, with 100% tube supports. :)

Posted Image
Gotta love the logistics involved with all these different chunks that make up the model (and temporary supports).

That's it. That's what has happened last weekend. Either love it or don't, but please read a bit of my post, so you know the background and the intention of this post (showing you what happened with Koloss). Rock on!

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#88 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

I think the banking transition should start at the crest of the hill. The exit path, slope, placement, shape, and everything else looks perfect.

#89 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

You've made some very nice progress. I'm glad you decided to use flexi rods on the twist, the result is much more appealing. The banking is looking a little excessive in the first 180º of the helix, but after reading your captions I can understand how it would be quite difficult to fix. I'm glad you persisted with this!

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#90 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

• 5251 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

I'm sure you'll iron out the details that you pointed out just fine. The overall scope of the helix is awesome, I hope you can get it to work.

#91 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

Looking good ! (as expected). How many degrees will the helix turn? 720? The red tubes look great. You probably have more parts in your temporary supports than most builders use in their final supports! LOL

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#92 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

You should've called this coaster Redtube.

#93 MuddyFingers12

MuddyFingers12

Construction Foreman

• 106 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

Right after the drop into the heartline roll, i can see some bumps... but thats probebly because you dont want to perminatly bend your grey rods. Any way, this is one of (I think this is) the best woodie ever.(I haven't looked up koloss yet, so this is probebly wrong...)

#94 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

Looks great so far I hope you can smooth out the heartlining soon too!

Edited by IOAgeek, 27 May 2016 - 09:08 PM.

#95 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

• 5251 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

Right after the drop into the heartline roll, i can see some bumps... but thats probebly because you dont want to perminatly bend your grey rods. Any way, this is one of (I think this is) the best woodie ever.(I haven't looked up koloss yet, so this is probebly wrong...)

This isn't a woodie in the slightest...

#96 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

perminatly bend your grey rods.

Exactly how do you permanently bend your grey rods? Could you teach me the art of grey rod bending?
4th picture from top: I think I notice a possible spot in the track where the angle changes for a second and then goes back, where there's no tubing on the track yet, sort of in the very middle of the picture.
Edit: Just in case I'm not clear, in the spot I am talking about it looks like there is a small sort-of hill.

Edited by SCM, 18 June 2013 - 02:32 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#97 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

Very nice but I do agree that the initial banking is a bit to much apart from that I love the rest of the helix and how it gradually gets steeper!

#98 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

You should've called this coaster Redtube.

Haha! He really has to add red tubing. :P

Posted Image

#99 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

I actually really like the idea of extending the backbone of grey rods and connect it to the tube supports, a perfect way so you can still use flexies. However, I think take a look at this picture, you should make the twist a little bit longer. I know you aren't finished yet, but that is the only thing that bothers me so far. I feel like it is crammed a little bit.

Posted Image

#100 BubbleMan 32714

BubbleMan 32714

V Cube Solver

• 717 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

Excellent as always Gump. 😀

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boomerang, cota, lambchopz, school, screamin serpent