Skyrush and Comet

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

This is the start of my next coaster, a recreation of Skyrush. For now most of the construction is secret, one thing I will show are the cars.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lift-hill exposure! I was surprised seeing how much clearance they had on this curve. The only problem I can see is that they're too wide, Maybe I can change the grey rod to metallic and make all the seats smaller. Maybe the winged seats could be longer vertically, what do you think?
In a few days when the ground isn't muddy, you will see where construction is currently at.

Edited by N C c o a s t e r, 25 August 2014 - 12:37 AM.

#2 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

Your trains are really interesting. Can you give us an idea of how big you think your recreation will be? I also attempted a recreation of this ride on a smaller scale than you appear to be building and ended up having a coaster that was too big for me to handle. The pull-in to the lift should be steeper. Your also are using a very interesting backbone. The only thing I would fear about that is the yellow rods holding up the track popping out from the weight/force of the train. because they're parallel to the track.

Here's a link to my attempt:

http://www.sscoaster...d-ending-14802/

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#3 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

Oh yes this will be much bigger than your attempt at it. I might make the pull in tighter, like it should be. The problem I think I will be facing with the backbone is it bending on the lift, I haven't fixed that yet because I know it will happen and I have never set the whole thing up yet. Soon I will reveal what a k'nex monster this thing is.

#4 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

Those custom cars will make it a pain in the ass, the higher drag and center of gravity mean you will lose speed fast. You'll probably have to ditch them, as cool as they are, to keep the scale right. Goodluck!

#5 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

From what you've described so far, this thing will be massive. I'll be looking forward to the next update!

Posted Image

#6 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

Good luck with this recreation. The cars look awesome but the track with bend a lot when they fly over it with huge speed from the undoubtedly big drop. Test it first to find out though because if you can keep them, it would be really cool.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#7 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:32 AM

Those custom cars will make it a pain in the ass, the higher drag and center of gravity mean you will lose speed fast. You'll probably have to ditch them, as cool as they are, to keep the scale right. Goodluck!

You'r probably right about the speed loss, thanks for pointing everything out.

From what you've described so far, this thing will be massive. I'll be looking forward to the next update!

I will definitely be giving you something to look forward too!

Good luck with this recreation. The cars look awesome but the track with bend a lot when they fly over it with huge speed from the undoubtedly big drop. Test it first to find out though because if you can keep them, it would be really cool.

They do look awesome but it would be amazing if they worked, Thanks.

Some interesting pictures...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by N C c o a s t e r, 01 August 2013 - 12:34 AM.

#8 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

I really hope you've got the parts to do this. Right now it looks to be about 6-7 feet tall...

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#9 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:35 PM

^I think I do but we will just have to see.
Update, here is the progress so far.

Posted Image
Hopefully I can stop this damn thing from falling over because it already happened 4 times.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Comparison picture, the angle of my lift is obviously wrong because of the bump but I care more about how close the crest is to the real thing, what do you think? I think what I will do is make the bottom of the crest longer which will push the top of the lift and put it to the right angle.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some of the base has been made. The far turn is for the pull out of the drop, the lift/drop will be alongside the house.

Posted Image

I only ever meant for it to be 10 feet tall but it is about 11-11.5, I have to re-measure.
Any criticism on the shaping of the lift or crest? Comment please:)
I will be away in Ohio from the 8th-18th doing you know what, but a couple days of that are for a wedding in Michigan. So no building for a long time.

#10 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:35 AM

Holy shit that's huge.

#11 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

This is insanely huge! Just make sure shaping and support is in the front of your head while building huge like this (it already seems like this is your priority). To solve your problem with the lift falling, if you add supports that branch off the base of the lift like this, is should do the trick!

Posted Image

#12 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

can you fit any diagonals into the half moons that are used in the lift backbone? It might stiffen it up enough to reduce the sag.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#13 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

Looks about right. I'd just fix the lift structure. It bends too much for my liking.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#14 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

The idea that ForgotToGrowUp has isn't a bad idea. Diagonals will work really well and really straighten out the lift if you're able to.

Posted Image

#15 fastman xc

fastman xc

Resident Outdoor Builder

• 3182 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

If you're going to build this outside, please, anchor your supports in the ground. It's incredibly stronger that way.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

coasters made by:
~FXC, Inc
a subsidiary of
Posted Image
currently featuring ... Pine Mine: A Real Terrain Coaster

#16 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

Dang. If you keep going at this scale then this will be crazy. The crest doesn't look like it's the strongest thing in the world however.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#17 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

Holy shit that's huge.

Actually no, it isn't huge at all;)

This is insanely huge! Just make sure shaping and support is in the front of your head while building huge like this (it already seems like this is your priority). To solve your problem with the lift falling, if you add supports that branch off the base of the lift like this, is should do the trick!

The reason it fell so many times was because the first support couldn't handle all the weight of the lift, it ended up bending apart and when that broke other places broke apart too. When I move it away from the pool I could extend the base off of the supports so the wind can't push it over. Thanks.

can you fit any diagonals into the half moons that are used in the lift backbone? It might stiffen it up enough to reduce the sag.

I put the diagonals in the backbone and it worked very well, all the sag is gone. I didn't want to do that originally bacause I thought it wouldn't look like the real thing as much (ruin the yellow look). From far away you can't even see the diagonals and knowing that it is stronger makes it look better, thanks!

Looks about right. I'd just fix the lift structure. It bends too much for my liking.

I agree, why would anyone like a bending lift.

The idea that ForgotToGrowUp has isn't a bad idea. Diagonals will work really well and really straighten out the lift if you're able to.

It really did work and it was easy to do, thanks.

If you're going to build this outside, please, anchor your supports in the ground. It's incredibly stronger that way.

The base is strong enough to not bend or break from the pressure of the supports. I could anchor the base to the ground, but it would be to difficult to anchor the real bottoms of the supports to the ground. Thanks anyway, I will keep this in mind for the future.

Dang. If you keep going at this scale then this will be crazy. The crest doesn't look like it's the strongest thing in the world however.

The crest is very strong, the middle line is just for show so you can't see right through it. Thanks.

Here is the fixed lift backbone with no bump or sag.

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can see the 50 degree angle

Posted Image

Stronger than it was before

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
hmm... interesting
Comments!

Edited by N C c o a s t e r, 07 August 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#18 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

Looks interesting, but your drop seems to pull up too soon on the last two supports. Should be lowered by a bit. This really is a huge recreation and I hope you have enough parts for it! Also, have you been able to get your lift to work? I would focus on that, because from what I saw, the forces of the train and cable can really affect the lift hill's strength.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#19 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

That is one hell of a backbone! Looks very good so far! And you might want to listen to LaMbChOpZ about the lift hill. Keep up the great work!

Edit: Wait I just realized that the first support is slanted a little bit. Is it supposed to be like?

Edited by timtimlaz, 07 August 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#20 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

That's an amazing structure.