3d printed 3d printer k'nex samissoawsome solidworks

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:33 PM

Amazing... I love allow the stuff you guys have been making. I am taking a CAD class at school right now and love it. I am really far ahead right now and the teacher likes me so I have been working on other projects, today I 3d printed a few golf tees I made (so proud :P), I know it isn't much but I am happy with it.

#22 Coasterman345

Coasterman345

Carp Diem

• 610 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:26 PM

This is amazing. What a time to be alive! Congrats on being the first person to 3D print the most coveted piece ever since the idea was conceived. Can you please email me a file with the converter pieces? My email (I trust those on this site not to abuse it) is coasterman345@gmail.com.

[SIGPIC]

Signature (Current)

[/SIGPIC]

“Reality continues to ruin my life.” ― Bill Watterson

#23 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:54 PM

If I had two of those peices I could turn my 5 car train into 7 cars because I have two extra front cars! I wish I had a 3D printer where I was. Oh well...

Signature not available 

#24 SamIsSoAwsome

SamIsSoAwsome

Construction Foreman

• 407 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:54 PM

^^^That's completely how I started.
^ ^EMAILED!

Posted Image

#25 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:27 PM

I am so happy about this thread, seeing it come back to life just in time for my printer! I got an acrylic-frame reprap I3 printer for my birthday (I chipped in). I'm also having issues (my hot-end works, it's a stepper motor driver that's messed up), but the seller is sending a new stepper. What material did you use and what temp? If they're breaking, I'm thinking your filament might not be hot enough for the layers to bond as strongly as they should. I'm also just curious because once I get my stepper driver and get my calibration set, K'Nex will be up first (in my own thread, so I don't hijack this one). I'm really excited to see, just how fast 3D printing is catching on, what 10 years from now will look like in terms of advancements in the printers themselves and just from having them (i.e. companies possibly losing sales and dying out).

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#26 Coasterman345

Coasterman345

Carp Diem

• 610 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:27 PM

^^ Thank you so much!

[SIGPIC]

Signature (Current)

[/SIGPIC]

“Reality continues to ruin my life.” ― Bill Watterson

#27 G Force

G Force

Yea Man

• 1098 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:48 PM

I would suggest adding a slight bit of tolerance to the design, to allow for sanding and then the addition of a finish or something to let the parts last. I'm not an expert on 3D printing but I have a feeling that these parts wouldn't have the longevity of normal K'nex simply due to the rough finish. Plus adding a nice finish would make the look much better!

#28 NavyGuyAN

NavyGuyAN

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:30 PM

So I might have figured out a way to "half-way do a car connection." More to come but, I was thinking perhaps a small wooden dowel inserted into a small wooden ball (drilling out a hole and gluing) both found at a local craft/hobby shop. As far as the openended connection that recieves the ball end, I've yet to figure out how to do it. I would definatly throw down some money if it was 3D printed and sold. I would also be able to make my current three car trains in to a long six car train for the coaster.

#29 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:44 AM

It has been way to long but finally Makerbot sent us a working extruder head and our printer works so naturally I printed some K'nex. I've only printed a couple parts but they work in every way they should except one of the pieces I made broke after a little bit of use.
Posted Image

A little rough but looks like they will work. Have you tested the car connector on a working coaster?

Is there any way I could get some of those parts?

Thanks!

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#30 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:26 PM

^Ever time a thread like this comes up I see you ask about this, but it seems someone always let's you down. Good luck this time!

Posted Image

#31 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:13 PM

A little rough but looks like they will work. Have you tested the car connector on a working coaster?

Is there any way I could get some of those parts?

Thanks!

Check your inbox. :D

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#32 clyde

clyde

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:57 PM

hello

my 1st post

quick biography

30 years jobber machine shop

mastercam solidworks experience

just survived lung cancer

neuropathy at the moment

so I am layed up for awhile

looked into this place for practice

drawing design kinda stuff

if I can be of any help

let me know

that is some nice solidwork stuff

just bought my 1st two baskets cases for parts

so we shall see what comes of this

thnx for listening

#33 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:40 PM

Welcome Clyde! I believe you just purchased some manuals from eBay that led you here?

#34 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

Yup it's been a few years I have been asking someone/anyone to make me a few of those custom parts to make a front car a middle/back car. 

PLEASE someone contact me and I will give you my info and money if you need it!!

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#35 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 02:50 PM

BUMP!

Hey, it's me again!

I was looking to do some business of selling 3D printed custom gears and knex parts, namely the ones in my previous post in this thread. I have models for all standard parts as well, including all sscoaster cars. 

-Alex

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#36 megabuster9000

megabuster9000

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 11:30 PM

I have designed a piece that can be 3d printed and screws on to the bottom of a front car to convert it to a middle car. and it allows for full usage of the chain dog. If anyone would like a link to the model just shoot me a message.

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3d printed, 3d printer, k'nex, samissoawsome, solidworks