multidimentional

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

Hey guys, it's been almost a month since I got to build, and I quickly lost motivation for building something of Prometheus' size, so I decided not to follow through with it. I'll probably just pick off of it as I build whatever comes next, and I honestly haven't decided what that'll be next (I will by tomorrow :)).

In the meantime, I started fooling around with my train and kind of made a prototype of an X2 type ride. It technically works, as you'll see, but it is too big, bulky, and loose in places to be able to be used on a full, twisting layout. I wanted to show you guys anyway, because maybe someone can spin off of it and make it work where I couldn't. It works very similarly to the real ride, only it uses a regular round gear instead of a rack gear. In the video I rolled it along the track and then pulled it off and rotated it manually to show the movement without range limitation.

Posted Image

The track
Posted Image

Some angles of the car
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fury325|MF|Maverick|Shambhala|TTD|El Toro|Diamondback|Griffon|Valravn|Boulder Dash|Leviathan 

Coaster Count: 215

#2 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

If you made the seats stick out father than the gears, it would look more realistic I bet. It's a cool design though! I hope someone (if not you) builds a prototype coaster with it.

#3 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

It's a really cool concept. I feel like the friction would be an issue though.

#4 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:58 PM

If you can pull this off, you'll be a hero.

#5 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:18 AM

Hopefully the design can become more compact (obviously the gears won't, but the structure) but wow, that is definitely something I haven't seen before. Great concept!

Posted Image

#6 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:25 AM

I knew you'd figure out how to keep it upright. (Didn't want to tell you so you could figure it out:)).
The design is quite bulky and large, but it is a prototype so you (or someone else) can modify it to make it better.

Now that it's today, have you figured out what you're going to make?!?!?

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#7 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

Woah.... I've only seen one other attempt at this from someone on TPR (it wasn't nearly as good as this one). I do agree with DDR though, friction can be problematic.

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#8 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for all of the support guys! I really appreciate it. I took another look at it and was able to solve the issue of keeping the arms on their tracks. I reversed their direction and attached them across the track, and I think it works pretty well. The rod miraculously fits well in the gap between cars. Friction will definitely be a problem, the ride will not be long if it works. I'm not really sure how to condense the zillion-pound cars, so ideas are welcome. I did extend the seat axels out some, but that's just for looks. I figured this is showing a lot more potential than before, so I decided to give the ride a shot.

I just made a very basic station and turn. The extra tracks can be added separately, so I'll do that later. I'll have to make the hugh point of the tracks be the standard for being above the track in order to prevent the arms from hitting any axels present in the track.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fury325|MF|Maverick|Shambhala|TTD|El Toro|Diamondback|Griffon|Valravn|Boulder Dash|Leviathan 

Coaster Count: 215

#9 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

If you have any old/broken/RR cars, you could take the axles off, cut them in half and use them for the secondary track. Shaping wise, I'd say your pull-in is too small. It looks odd, and I feel like you'll want more gradual transitions throughout this ride anyways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: multidimentional