• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 BobbyJackT

BobbyJackT

Rippin Rocket Builder

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

Hey guys! I am making a 2 story high Rollercoaster! It goes up the chain lift normally then gets dropped back down and goes backwards through the rest of the track and will go up a big hill at the end and do the whole thing forwards!Here are some pics.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by BobbyJackT, 27 January 2014 - 06:29 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks to IonZer0 for making this signature for me

#2 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

Looks cool. Your loop looks more like a lightbulb, the bulges in the entry and exit of the loop should be smoothed out, it will look better and run faster.

Posted Image

#3 BobbyJackT

BobbyJackT

Rippin Rocket Builder

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

LOL, I never though of it that way! I will try to fix that. I will post pictures when I do. Also, do you think I should put a video of how it is so far?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

I strongly reccomend not having your loop on your couch. It will fall over. Put it on the floor. Keep it simple.

Also, just make a really tall tower of box supports, and duct tape it to the edge of the railing. This will keep the structure more sturdy.

Posted Image

Edited by IonZer0, 27 January 2014 - 08:12 PM.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#5 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

If I were you, I would shorten everything to be maybe 3 feet tall. That way you can focus more on better supporting and shaping. Your shaping is already improving, but I really think that a smaller coaster would give you a great opportunity to get more skill for your future building. :)

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#6 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

ranting somewhere about something

• 890 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

This is such an unique idea, it will be cool to see more updates about how the progress comes.

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#7 BobbyJackT

BobbyJackT

Rippin Rocket Builder

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

^^^ What do you mean by duct taping the box supports to the railing? Which railing? The stairs? Also, I will probably make bigger box supports on the side of the loop for stability^^ I don't know, I already have like 1 day in to it. ^ Thanks!

I am working on a video right now. Should be done soon!

What do you think is a good name?

Edited by BobbyJackT, 27 January 2014 - 08:13 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

I posted a pic for you.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#9 BobbyJackT

BobbyJackT

Rippin Rocket Builder

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

Thanks!
I will think about it, I probably don't have enough pieces for the box supports though

Can anybody help me with the automation? I do have an NXT

Edited by BobbyJackT, 27 January 2014 - 08:44 PM.
Spelling error

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 BobbyJackT

BobbyJackT

Rippin Rocket Builder

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

Here is a side picture of the side, about 8 feet tall. Posted Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#11 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:54 AM

You really should focus on building something small and making it as nice as you can with the pieces you have. These poorly supported and shaped big builds are not going to improve your building skills at all.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#12 soggyhotdoggg

soggyhotdoggg

Architect

• 605 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:11 AM

Bigger is not always better, nor is it always more impressive. It would help a lot if you had supports on that massive drop of yours, especially with a chain to weigh it down more.
If you can't do that, then I really don't think you should be working on such a project.

#13 crazyracer

crazyracer

Architect

• 550 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

I agree focus on more of a smaller project that can be supported by how many pieces you have that way you ill get better by trying different techniques of supporting your coaster.
What I`m saying is if you can`t support the main drop and elements with this height than scratch this coaster completely and biuld something within your means of how many pieces you have.

K`nex always for life ;)

#14 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

Lol, I think that Josh Monster and I tried to do this one time off his loft. Definitely build smaller, but there is no reason why you can't have fun with this. I still would like to do something like this.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#15 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

I think a good name would be something bee related, as your color scheme is yellow black yellow black.
Like The Sting, or The Buzzer.
something like that :)

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#16 BobbyJackT

BobbyJackT

Rippin Rocket Builder

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

First of all, the drop is extremely strong for some reason. ^And second of all, just saying, but all I have is black and yellow cross ties... But that is a good idea

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#17 BobbyJackT

BobbyJackT

Rippin Rocket Builder

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:57 AM

I noticed in your signature it said automation is your speciality, could you help me with the automation in this?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#18 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

Just because the drop does not collapse under its own weight, does not make it "strong." A strong drop will shake very little if you bump it with your hand. Yours probably shakes a few inches with minimal force.

I think the point we're trying to get at is we, as a site, want builders to reach their greatest potential to make awesome rides. If you just want to have fun and mess around, and don't really care about shaping, then have at it. We've all done it, I'm sure. Just don't be surprised when we try to correct you. It's clear that you aren't necessarily going for a refined look, but there are a lot of basics to building coasters that you aren't really following. To each his own, I'm glad you're having fun. I'm just putting my perspective out there, and I have a feeling many members agree with me.

#19 BobbyJackT

BobbyJackT

Rippin Rocket Builder

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

That is something I will defiantly think about

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#20 BobbyJackT

BobbyJackT

Rippin Rocket Builder

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

VIDEO TIME!!!

Edited by BobbyJackT, 29 January 2014 - 05:55 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2 stories, 8 feet, bobbyjackt, huge