Micro Wing Coaster VIDEO

inverted micro

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Poll: What should the name be?

What should the name be?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

I have all six Infinity Stones

• 728 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:52 AM

Its sad us VV builders have such little speed. There apears to be a straight spot just beforr the climax of the corkscrew but besides that the shaping is very well done!

Yeah, the speed loss sucks. Thanks for pointing out that bump.

Hate to break it to you, but the main killer in wingrider carts is actually because the wings cause the center force of gravity to be off everytime it moves or twists, which causes the car to shake, thus causing more speed loss. The wind on a coaster this small wouldn't affect it much, so little you probably wouldn't even notice it, unless you had it outside on a really windy day. Trust me on that being the main reason, I built a wingrider, and I made 3 different designs of wingrider carts until I was satisfied with the speed loss that occured because of it having the central force of gravity not balanced.

Anyways, shaping looks very good, besides the point ^he already pointed out, which is where that gap in the spine is.

Yeah, that’s what I had in mind, I don’t know why I worded the whole surface area-speed loss problem so badly. At least we have a common solution: concentrate all of the mass in the center of the car, thus having a more pronounced center of gravity.

I saw the test video and it looks amazing. Only thing I would do is add more support to the exit of the dive loop/ Immelman

Thanks! Will do.

I can totally confirm what Turtle Man said, on my wing rider you could actually see the trains wobble because the wings caused it to shift. And wind resistance depends on surface area, not mass :)

But as for the coaster itself, the shaping looks really nice. Let's hope you can squeeze out all the speed you need from this.

Yeah, I worded it poorly. I understand the whole surface area/mass/center of gravity concepts. I plan on finishing with the keyhole element!

The others are right about the wing seats causing extra speed loss due to extra shaking of the coaches. I also noticed it when I was building my dive coaster. On the other hand, the seats look very nice and I can imagine that you would like to keep them.

The shaping looks fantastic so far, I hope you can still get a good layout out of the remaining speed.

Thanks man.

The shaping is great! I like where this is going.

Thanks! You’ll like the next element.

Even with all of that weight from the coins, it still looses that much speed? I don't think there's really anything you can do besides taking the wings off. I think that the weight could still be centered because of the coins and the wings actually don't do anything, it could have something to do with the weight being too close to the track, but idk why that would slow it down. Anyway if you continue, you could shake out at least another corkscrew or something else.

The train still loses speed because there is still weight hanging off of the cars, thus throwing the center of gravity off. I tried adding more coins, but for some reason three coins per car is the limit. The speed loss can be connected to a thousand more things, so I just have to make do with what I have :P

#42 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

• 728 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

Update time! Thanks for all of the help with the physics behind the speed loss, as I hate physics (biology all the way :)) I fixed the shaping on the corkscrew and added a double backbone. I also added a small turn that goes under the corkscrew, which will lead into the currently unbuilt keyhole element. Don't worry, there's enough clearance for the train to go under the corkscrew.

[img][img]https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2900/14105669284_74f91e3083_c.jpg[/img]IMG_4443 by tennispro95, on Flickr[/img]

[img][img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7372/14125341003_726d0ff7f1_c.jpg[/img]IMG_4445 by tennispro95, on Flickr[/img]

#43 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

looks nice! will you have enough speed to get back to the lift though?

#44 Killerbunny

Killerbunny

Fear the bunny!

• 554 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

I'm not sure if you noticed this but there are bumps on the entry and exit of the track that goes under the cork. Everything else looks great!

Posted Image

Thanks Spitfire!

Coaster Count: 73

1. Millenium Force 2. Montu 3. Top Thrill Dragster 4. Raging Bull 5. Maverick

#45 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:45 AM

Looks great! Hopefully you can fit in at least one more inversion before the end.

#46 CowmanBearPig

CowmanBearPig

In The begining....

• 533 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

Where you have those two purple connectors on your spine, there is a sharp spot. It may not look very nice, but it would be beneficial to the rest of the rides smoothness if you replaced it with a shorter rod length. That way the rods would stagger once again. Other than that and the exit of the helix, it looks great. Nice work!

Edited by CowmanBearPig, 05 May 2014 - 03:22 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Current Project

Launched Coaster

#47 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

I do not think the sharp spots to be changed, but if you do what the people above me have suggested it would be even better. Looks great!

Signature not available 

#48 crazyracer

crazyracer

Architect

• 550 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

I would fix those bumps and do what everyone else said about the shaping and you should be good.

K`nex always for life ;)

#49 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

Ha! Pizza and Knex - nothin' better than that!!! :P

#50 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

I would recommend adding grey transparent spacers; the long ones; in between the cars on the rubber connector pieces

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#51 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

• 728 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

looks nice! will you have enough speed to get back to the lift though?

Yeah, I will. You’ll see the changes I made in the update.

I'm not sure if you noticed this but there are bumps on the entry and exit of the track that goes under the cork. Everything else looks great!

Went ahead and fixed the bumps, then I realized that I didn’t have enough speed for the helix :P

Looks great! Hopefully you can fit in at least one more inversion before the end.

Thanks! That’s my plan.

Where you have those two purple connectors on your spine, there is a sharp spot. It may not look very nice, but it would be beneficial to the rest of the rides smoothness if you replaced it with a shorter rod length. That way the rods would stagger once again. Other than that and the exit of the helix, it looks great. Nice work!

Thanks! I fixed it, then I realized that the helix is a real speed-killer, so I got rid of it. :P

I do not think the sharp spots to be changed, but if you do what the people above me have suggested it would be even better. Looks great!

Thanks!

I would fix those bumps and do what everyone else said about the shaping and you should be good.

Thanks! Will do.

Ha! Pizza and Knex - nothin' better than that!!! :P

It’s what gets me going when I need to solve a frustrating speed loss problem ☺

I would recommend adding grey transparent spacers; the long ones; in between the cars on the rubber connector pieces

Already did it ☺

#52 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

• 728 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:22 PM

Alrighty, so hopefully this should be the penultimate update! Because most of you pointed out bumps and issues with the supports in that post-corkscrew helix, I decided to get ride of it. It was a real speed-killer too. I replaced it with a nice final keyhole/heart line roll element. Feel free to point out ugly things :)

[img][IMG]http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y451/Kishan_Mathur/IMG_4469_zpsda14bf1d.jpg[/IMG][/img]

[img][IMG]http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y451/Kishan_Mathur/IMG_4470_zpscc73dca4.jpg[/IMG][/img]

And a bonus test video:

#53 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

That is one beautiful heartline roll you have there. It's sad thay there is such bad speed loss on this ride, but it still is a great coaster.

#54 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:23 PM

That's the best VV heartline roll I've ever seen! The shaping is really nice on this ride. As Gvus said, even though there is bad speed loss, this ride still kicks butt.

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#55 crazyracer

crazyracer

Architect

• 550 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

Fantastic job nothing wrong to point out I aprove haha.

K`nex always for life ;)

#56 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

hmmmmm a right hand turn..... hmmmm..... good luck!

#57 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

This looks great! To bad VV loss sucks. :(
I wonder, do you think that someone will attempt at making custom VV carts? Do you think its even possible? I love this coaster.

Signature not available 

#58 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

ranting somewhere about something

• 890 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

#demcatwalks
looks Lovely!

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#59 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

• 728 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:00 PM

That is one beautiful heartline roll you have there. It's sad thay there is such bad speed loss on this ride, but it still is a great coaster.

Thanks! Yup. There will always be speed loss on wing coasters ☹

That's the best VV heartline roll I've ever seen! The shaping is really nice on this ride. As Gvus said, even though there is bad speed loss, this ride still kicks butt.

Thanks man!

Fantastic job nothing wrong to point out I aprove haha.

Thanks!

hmmmmm a right hand turn..... hmmmm..... good luck!

Thanks! It’ll be interesting

This looks great! To bad VV loss sucks. :(
I wonder, do you think that someone will attempt at making custom VV carts? Do you think its even possible? I love this coaster.

I don’t think so. The speed loss is too bad. Thanks though!

#demcatwalks
looks Lovely!

#yeahthey’resexy

#60 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

• 728 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

Ok. Update. THE COASTER IS ALMOST DONE! I'm actually pretty excited that this coaster turned out to be a success. I tried to include more pics of the new section, including the station. I made the train a 5-car train. Double motors power the primary lift, while a single one powers the station. I think the shaping is pretty good, but let me know what you guys think! Any last minute tweaks before this coaster is finished?

[img][IMG]http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y451/Kishan_Mathur/IMG_4577_zpsb5568592.jpg[/IMG][/img]

[img][IMG]http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y451/Kishan_Mathur/IMG_4578_zps5a1838c7.jpg[/IMG][/img]

[img][IMG]http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y451/Kishan_Mathur/IMG_4579_zps8361b5a5.jpg[/IMG][/img]

[img][IMG]http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y451/Kishan_Mathur/IMG_4580_zps1a63ff84.jpg[/IMG][/img]

[img][IMG]http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y451/Kishan_Mathur/IMG_4581_zps26081fae.jpg[/IMG][/img]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inverted, micro