Micro Wing Coaster VIDEO

inverted micro

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Poll: What should the name be?

What should the name be?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Killerbunny

Killerbunny

Fear the bunny!

• 554 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:56 PM

Wow, that looks really nice. I hope you make the train longer, It looks a bit strange with just two rows.

Posted Image

Thanks Spitfire!

Coaster Count: 73

1. Millenium Force 2. Montu 3. Top Thrill Dragster 4. Raging Bull 5. Maverick

#22 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

I have all six Infinity Stones

• 728 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:44 PM

Update! Added the first element. While it does have some shaping problems, I'm happy to let you know that I've solved the speed problem with these micro wing coasters! I'll tell you guys in the next update though...

[img][img]https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2921/14014383255_9f89e8cecc_c.jpg[/img]IMG_4397 by tennispro95, on Flickr[/img]

[img][img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7452/13991263956_e10f8356a4_c.jpg[/img]IMG_4398 by tennispro95, on Flickr[/img]

[img][img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7061/14014383195_4d30f71a40_c.jpg[/img]IMG_4399 by tennispro95, on Flickr[/img]

#23 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:56 PM

I really like the new element, but does it carry a lot of speed? I don't see any sharp or straight spots, this is just spot on. As for the name, I voted for Falcon, It fits the name so well. Although I do think Osprey fits too.

Edited by Connector1o1, 25 April 2014 - 10:58 PM.

Signature not available 

#24 Bassboost93

Bassboost93

Uhm...Yeah

• 212 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:25 AM

The coaster looks very nice too me!. I have not very many sense of micro but i think this is very wel shaped!. Btw I voted for Gordon Ramsay: The Ride. Because the name sounds funny. :)

Posted Image

Loop De Loop!

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Racers!

#25 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

Beautiful shaping and great choice of elements.

Posted Image

#26 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:42 AM

That is one beautiful dive loop. My only suggestion would be to make your tubes stronger.

Edit: I think you should make this go into a low air hill with the pullout very low to the ground. From there make an Imelman/ sidewinder sending it back towards the bottom of the lift, then have a zero g roll over the bottom of the lift.

Edited by Gvus, 28 April 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#27 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

I can't wait to find out how you solved the speed loss problem in vv wing riders. I really like the dive loop, and if you want a zero g roll like most of them have you should make it soon before you loose to much speed. Good luck!

#28 KBP2000

KBP2000

I love music

• 266 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

Cool! I voted for Gordon Ramsay: The Ride because it's an original name! Keep it up!

Posted Image
KBP2000

#29 crazyracer

crazyracer

Architect

• 550 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

I couldn`t agree more more the Shaping is unbelievable and looks legit.

K`nex always for life ;)

#30 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

very cool. much wow

#31 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

What shaping problems? I don't see any.
And I voted for Gordon Ramsay. It was the most intimidating name.

#32 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

• 728 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:23 PM

I really like the new element, but does it carry a lot of speed? I don't see any sharp or straight spots, this is just spot on. As for the name, I voted for Falcon, It fits the name so well. Although I do think Osprey fits too.

Thanks! The train does not go through the element. It makes it about 80% through, so you'll see what happens in this update.

The coaster looks very nice too me!. I have not very many sense of micro but i think this is very wel shaped!. Btw I voted for Gordon Ramsay: The Ride. Because the name sounds funny. :)

Thanks man! Yeah, the name is pretty hilarious.

Beautiful shaping and great choice of elements.

Thanks!

That is one beautiful dive loop. My only suggestion would be to make your tubes stronger.

Edit: I think you should make this go into a low air hill with the pullout very low to the ground. From there make an Imelman/ sidewinder sending it back towards the bottom of the lift, then have a zero g roll over the bottom of the lift.

I actually tried that, but the zero g roll ended up being inches above the bottom of the lift. VV just doesn't have the height and sturdiness that SS does :P

I can't wait to find out how you solved the speed loss problem in vv wing riders. I really like the dive loop, and if you want a zero g roll like most of them have you should make it soon before you loose to much speed. Good luck!

Thanks man, I'll try to deal with that horrible speed loss!

Cool! I voted for Gordon Ramsay: The Ride because it's an original name! Keep it up!

Haha thanks!

I couldn`t agree more more the Shaping is unbelievable and looks legit.

Thanks! I'm excited that this wing rider is actually working.

very cool. much wow

Wow. Such thanks. Very compliment.

What shaping problems? I don't see any.
And I voted for Gordon Ramsay. It was the most intimidating name.

It's wrawwwww! Shut it down! But yeah, anyways, thanks!

#33 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

• 728 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

So, update time. After many of you posted such kind compliments about my current layout, I decided to change it all! The train was not going to make it through that immelmann, no matter how much I supported the track or weighed the cars. As you can see in the pictures below, the first element is pretty much the immelmann tilted to the left about 60 degrees. Also, the next element is a corkscrew, not a zero g roll because that would have been too hard on the track. As for the wing trains, HERE'S MY SECRET, although it's actually more obvious than you think:

A normal roller coaster train flies through elements because all of its mass and surface area is concentrated on the train itself. With wing coasters, specifically wing coasters, there is a considerable amount of mass hanging off of the train, thus adding more wind resistance and thus slowing the train down. My goal was to minimize the amount of mass hanging off of the train and concentrate it on the car itself. While there is still some wind resistance, the train makes it through the elements. Don't worry, the "wing" parts of the train will be more than just rods. Also, there's a bonus test video :)

[img][img]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5271/14077054615_9a65445054_c.jpg[/img]IMG_4418 by tennispro95, on Flickr[/img]

[img][img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7361/14073894512_f977b99cd2_c.jpg[/img]IMG_4419 by tennispro95, on Flickr[/img]

[img][img]https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2938/14077528914_f737c219fe_c.jpg[/img]IMG_4420 by tennispro95, on Flickr[/img]

#34 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

Its sad us VV builders have such little speed. There apears to be a straight spot just beforr the climax of the corkscrew but besides that the shaping is very well done!

#35 Turtle Man 24

Turtle Man 24

I Lost The Game

• 1198 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

Hate to break it to you, but the main killer in wingrider carts is actually because the wings cause the center force of gravity to be off everytime it moves or twists, which causes the car to shake, thus causing more speed loss. The wind on a coaster this small wouldn't affect it much, so little you probably wouldn't even notice it, unless you had it outside on a really windy day. Trust me on that being the main reason, I built a wingrider, and I made 3 different designs of wingrider carts until I was satisfied with the speed loss that occured because of it having the central force of gravity not balanced.

Anyways, shaping looks very good, besides the point ^he already pointed out, which is where that gap in the spine is.

turtleman24.png
http://www.coasterco.../#Turtle Man 24

[Turtle Man 24] 1:34 am: Thou shall know not of meaness of Mean Streak, so thou must talk not of it

#36 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

I saw the test video and it looks amazing. Only thing I would do is add more support to the exit of the dive loop/ Immelman

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

#37 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

I can totally confirm what Turtle Man said, on my wing rider you could actually see the trains wobble because the wings caused it to shift. And wind resistance depends on surface area, not mass :)

But as for the coaster itself, the shaping looks really nice. Let's hope you can squeeze out all the speed you need from this.

#38 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:40 AM

The others are right about the wing seats causing extra speed loss due to extra shaking of the coaches. I also noticed it when I was building my dive coaster. On the other hand, the seats look very nice and I can imagine that you would like to keep them.

The shaping looks fantastic so far, I hope you can still get a good layout out of the remaining speed.

Posted Image

#39 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:41 AM

The shaping is great! I like where this is going.

Posted Image

#40 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:35 PM

Even with all of that weight from the coins, it still looses that much speed? I don't think there's really anything you can do besides taking the wings off. I think that the weight could still be centered because of the coins and the wings actually don't do anything, it could have something to do with the weight being too close to the track, but idk why that would slow it down. Anyway if you continue, you could shake out at least another corkscrew or something else.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inverted, micro