ball machine big cool lift sorunome

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 sathothy

sathothy

Architect

• 823 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

Hi guys! I kinda lost interest in knex for the last 5-7 months but I got inspired again and started building a new ballmachine that I´ve been working on for the past 5/4 weeks!
Right now I have the lifts done and some of the path seperators.
Some overviews:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The shifting wheel lift. This is the first thing I made. It's basicly just multiple wheel lifts stacked.
Posted Image

Posted Image

It has two exits one to the connected arm lift and one to the chainsaw lift.
Posted Image

The connected arm lift made by Sandroknexmaster.
Posted Image

Path seperator.( Inspired by KneXtreme's design)
Posted Image

Double vertical car lift. This lift took most of my time. It uses two gears spinning in different directions and when the car gets to the top a switch is hit which will make the chain go the different direction causing the other car to go up and when that car gets to the top it hits the switch again and it repeats the progress.
Posted Image

The switch
Posted Image

Posted Image

The micro chainsaw lift. Curently it has two entrances but I'm having problems with balls pushing other balls out of the lift so I might have to change it so it only has one entrance.
Posted Image

The exit and other path seperator
Posted Image

Here's a video showing how most of it works:
http://youtu.be/5njn8oejavY

Comment and suggestions are always welcome! :)

Edited by sathothy, 26 July 2014 - 08:41 AM.

#2 CowmanBearPig

CowmanBearPig

In The begining....

• 533 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

That's fantastic! Nice work!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Current Project

Launched Coaster

#3 Kevkillerke

Kevkillerke

Mr. circus

• 1658 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

Cool! A micro ball machine, great project.

Posted Image
Click > Spirit Bomb/Blue Fire!/Double O/Kirnu < Click
SSC award 2014: Best SlimTrack Coaster
Eruption
Posted Image

#4 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

Nice machine! It's great to finally see another machine on the site! The wheel lift is cool. Also, the dual chain lift looks almost like one Dick Heijboer used in his recent machine. How many paths will be in it when it's done?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^Thanks Steel^

1) Leviathan 2) Behemoth 3) Vortex 4) Sheikra 5) Kumba 6) Kraken 7) Montu 8) Manta 9) Dragon Fire 10) Gwazi

#5 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:00 PM

This is fantastic! I really like the path separator system you have. :)

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#6 DHB

DHB

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:12 AM

The dual chain lift looks like the mine: https://www.youtube....zrdK5tiN1guO7kA Did you come up with the idea yourself or did I inspire you? Nice start of your bm btw

#7 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

I love the separators and the last lift shown is super cool! Great start

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#8 Jester1960

Jester1960

Construction Foreman

• 226 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

I like the 4 wheel lift, I had considered that one time , but never made it happen, excellent job, I might have to try that now. keep up the great work

Jester1960

#9 sathothy

sathothy

Architect

• 823 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

That's fantastic! Nice work!

Cool! A micro ball machine, great project.

This is fantastic! I really like the path separator system you have. :)

I love the separators and the last lift shown is super cool! Great start

I like the 4 wheel lift, I had considered that one time , but never made it happen, excellent job, I might have to try that now. keep up the great work

Thanks all!

Nice machine! It's great to finally see another machine on the site! The wheel lift is cool. Also, the dual chain lift looks almost like one Dick Heijboer used in his recent machine. How many paths will be in it when it's done?

There will probaly be around 8/9 paths.

The dual chain lift looks like the mine: https://www.youtube....zrdK5tiN1guO7kA Did you come up with the idea yourself or did I inspire you? Nice start of your bm btw

You inspired me to use another car thingy instead of a counterweight.

I finshed the central path randomizer area to go to the bottom lifts and I finshed 4 paths! I wont go into too much details about the paths. You'll have to wait till the final video for that :).

Some overviews:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The central path randomizer area:
It's basicly just a tiny white floor that drops the ball in the middle of a turning platform that distributes the balls over three paths that go to the lifts randomly! Kinda like the randomizer alocke used in bis machine.

Posted Image

The mechanism.

Posted Image

Posted Image

:)

#10 Kevkillerke

Kevkillerke

Mr. circus

• 1658 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

Wow! This looks so cool and you are only halfway :D
Good luck finding original paths ;)

Posted Image
Click > Spirit Bomb/Blue Fire!/Double O/Kirnu < Click
SSC award 2014: Best SlimTrack Coaster
Eruption
Posted Image

#11 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:00 PM

Nice! I like the randomizer a lot. It kinda takes away the large floor concept but keeps the same random concept of the floor. Cant wait to see the paths.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^Thanks Steel^

1) Leviathan 2) Behemoth 3) Vortex 4) Sheikra 5) Kumba 6) Kraken 7) Montu 8) Manta 9) Dragon Fire 10) Gwazi

#12 Sorunome

Sorunome

Programmer

• 436 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

Wha, this is looking awesome! :D

logo_v1_small.png 36691.png

#13 sathothy

sathothy

Architect

• 823 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:07 AM

Wow! This looks so cool and you are only halfway :D
Good luck finding original paths ;)

Thank you!

Nice! I like the randomizer a lot. It kinda takes away the large floor concept but keeps the same random concept of the floor. Cant wait to see the paths.

Thanks! The paths are done!But you're going to have to wait a week to see them in more detail.

Wha, this is looking awesome! :D

It's complete! I ended up making a total of 10 paths and 4/5 lifts (5 if you count the double vertical car lift as 2 lifts). I also made the the double vertical car lift faster( It's only geared down once now instead of twice). I would make it even faster but I don't have enough gears to do that.
The only things that I have to do still are: Some finishing touches, filming and editing the final video and to come up with a name. The only decent name I've come up with is ''Composition''( because the ballmachine is a composition of micro knex and standard knex), but I'm not sure about it.
The pictures(mostly overviews, more detailed pictures will come when I post the final video):
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The final video will probaly come in about a week :).

#14 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

Nice machine. Composition is a good name. I see lots of cool elements there, the one that catches my eye is the micro track placed vertical in a S shape. Can't wait for the final video.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^Thanks Steel^

#15 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

Wow! This is really cool! I think I'll join Kool Coaster Kid in saying that I'm looking forward to the video!

#16 sathothy

sathothy

Architect

• 823 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

Nice machine. Composition is a good name. I see lots of cool elements there, the one that catches my eye is the micro track placed vertical in a S shape. Can't wait for the final video.

Thank you! I decided to keep Composition as the name.

Wow! This is really cool! I think I'll join Kool Coaster Kid in saying that I'm looking forward to the video!

Thanks!

Filming and editing went pretty fast so the final video is done! I think it turned out pretty good :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUFIgMpsREI&feature=youtu.be

Some specifications:
10 paths,
5 lifts divided in 3 networks,
Around 12.000 pieces used,
It's 8 red rods wide(That's including the tracks sticking out like the s-curve track), 8 red rods long and 7 red rods high. That's 448 cubic red rods :)
It's my biggest machine yet.
The 5 lifts are: shifting wheel lift, connected arm lift(credits go to sandroknexmaster!), vertical chainsaw lift(I accidentally put jigsaw lift in the video...), double vertical car lift(counts as 2).

Here are the final pictures:
Spoiler

Here is the link to the post on instructables: Composition a knex ballmachine
I'm also going to enter this in Instructables toy rods and conenctors contest(Community Contest: Toy Rods and Connectors), a vote would be appriciated :).

Edited by sathothy, 26 July 2014 - 08:24 AM.

#17 The KNex Weasel

The KNex Weasel

SSC's Jazz Pianist

• 2477 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:46 PM

This is really swell! Nice job.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Credit to Spitfire.

Most recent success:
SL1M: You Don't Mess Around With It.

#18 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

Wow this was amazing :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#19 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

Love this ball machine! Great work on all the different mechanisms! And fantastic job overall! Can't wait to see your next project! =)

#20 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:23 PM

Nice machine! Path 9 is the best IMO. Good job.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^Thanks Steel^

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ball machine, big, cool, lift, sorunome