tiredaf twisty wow big idek

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

I don't know what to say, other than I've been up since 4am and I'm barely awake at the moment. I started to work on this the other day and so far I've made the prelift, a small part of the station, part of the switch, most of the brake run, installed the lift motor and some of the lift structure. Also, I'll be going on vacation next Friday so let's see what I can do before then. :)

Attached File  image.jpeg   202.17KB   4 downloadsGears for the lift. Will be adding a tension wheel soon.

Attached File  image.jpeg   170.51KB   1 downloadsA better picture of the prelift!

Attached File  image.jpeg   271.19KB   0 downloadsThe brake run into the switch then station.

Attached File  image.jpeg   315.14KB   1 downloadsA better view of the switch and brake run.

Attached File  image.jpeg   197.74KB   1 downloadsA view from the future station.

Attached File  image.jpeg   232.4KB   1 downloadsWhere all the elements and shiz will be soon.

(By the way, when finished it'll be about 30ft long. And it'll be on the deck the whole time, so my knex might get bleached by the sun. Yay.) Comment!

~Dylpickles

How do I upload a picture here omgg.

#2 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:31 PM

The prelift looks great but the sideways photos make it difficult to comment on anything else :P You can get a lot done in a week, good luck. :D (I hope you have enough pieces, woodies always eat up more than I expect and you're effectively building two). 

#3 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:56 PM

Looks pretty good so far! Only thing is the trick track section shifts to the side by a granite whereas on the real coaster it seems to be in more of a straight line.

#4 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:04 PM

Oh the fact that you're using that little green motor is so cringe worthy to me, but hey if it works then best of luck to you. Can't wait to see more updates!

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#5 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:27 AM

Looks good so far, but I would say buy some 12v motors if you want more torque and they'll last much longer than the one green motor which the batteries will get weak after a week or so. I don't think a green motor can pull a 5 car weighted train up a 30ft lift IMO.

Edited by IOAgeek, 21 August 2016 - 09:27 AM.

#6 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:23 PM

I'm really excited to see where this goes! I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this one!

#7 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:31 PM

The prelift looks great but the sideways photos make it difficult to comment on anything else :P You can get a lot done in a week, good luck. :D (I hope you have enough pieces, woodies always eat up more than I expect and you're effectively building two).

Thanks, I've found that I'll need some more granites and snowflakes. But I have some loose change, so it won't be an issue ;)

Looks pretty good so far! Only thing is the trick track section shifts to the side by a granite whereas on the real coaster it seems to be in more of a straight line.

I was trying to keep it in one section, but it was a bit too tight. Might try it again later.

Oh the fact that you're using that little green motor is so cringe worthy to me, but hey if it works then best of luck to you. Can't wait to see more updates!

Haha, I only have one of those electric motors and each time I try them I can never get them to work.

Looks good so far, but I would say buy some 12v motors if you want more torque and they'll last much longer than the one green motor which the batteries will get weak after a week or so. I don't think a green motor can pull a 5 car weighted train up a 30ft lift IMO.

We'll have to see I guess. If I really need to, I'll buy better motors.

I'm really excited to see where this goes! I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this one!

Thanks man!***************************************************Finally getting around to an update! School started last week so construction will be slow, but I've managed to get the second drop started and both airtime hills complete. Also I've started to mess with zero g stall and well, it's still a work in progress. Question, should I run four 4 car trains, or two 5 car trains? Thanks for reading and comment!Attached File  image.jpeg   285.3KB   1 downloadsAn overview Attached File  image.jpeg   304.02KB   0 downloadsA different view. Don't know why it's sideways..Attached File  image.jpeg   219.84KB   0 downloadsAnd a pov of the drops. ~Dylan

Edited by dylpickled, 10 September 2016 - 01:35 PM.

#8 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:53 PM

That was a big update! It looks great, I'm trying to find something that could be improved but it all looks spot-on. Those bumps after the drop are really funny, they feel like the shortest pop of ejector airtime ever. It's just enough to throw you up into your lap bar and then right back down into your seat.

I'd run 4 trains, like the ride is SUPPOSED to run with (Six Flags only runs 2 or 3)  >_<

#9 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:53 PM

I would have liked to see a little more progress, but what you have built looks really impressive.  So far its pretty much perfect, I'm really looking forward to see this coaster progress. I'd go for four trains of 4 personally, and if you can get some NXT to automate it all, it will look fantastic. Keep it up :D

Edited by rgarner42, 10 September 2016 - 02:55 PM.

#10 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:21 PM

The coaster looks awesome!

I definitely think you should do 2 trains of 5. When people use 4 car trains it looks really awkward to me.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

#11 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:14 AM

It look greats so far, I just think at the very end of the pullout for the drop its a just a little sharp in that area, it'll take a sec or two to fix though. I also think you should raise the little air hill up a few so we see a little bit more of that hill and providing some good airtime. I think the two 5 car train will look and run better IMO.

#12 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:48 PM

That was a big update! It looks great, I'm trying to find something that could be improved but it all looks spot-on. Those bumps after the drop are really funny, they feel like the shortest pop of ejector airtime ever. It's just enough to throw you up into your lap bar and then right back down into your seat.

I'd run 4 trains, like the ride is SUPPOSED to run with (Six Flags only runs 2 or 3) >_<

Aye thanks. I wish to experience it someday. Maybe I'll fly out there just to ride it ;).

I would have liked to see a little more progress, but what you have built looks really impressive. So far its pretty much perfect, I'm really looking forward to see this coaster progress. I'd go for four trains of 4 personally, and if you can get some NXT to automate it all, it will look fantastic. Keep it up :D

Progress is going to be slow but I'm trying to do as much as possible! And I'm also working on getting an NXT system. Also trying to get enough parts to finish it!

The coaster looks awesome!

I definitely think you should do 2 trains of 5. When people use 4 car trains it looks really awkward to me.

Oops sorry cause I'm using trains of 4 :P.

It look greats so far, I just think at the very end of the pullout for the drop its a just a little sharp in that area, it'll take a sec or two to fix though. I also think you should raise the little air hill up a few so we see a little bit more of that hill and providing some good airtime. I think the two 5 car train will look and run better IMO.

I fixed the pullout but i think I'm leaving the airtime hills the way they are because they're pretty small on the real ride.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys! I know it's been awhile since the last update. I've been trying to get as much building done as possible but I have school, it's been raining, and I'm sick ect. I've added half the high five element and I'll start building the other side this weekend.
Attached File  image.jpeg   217.78KB   1 downloads The drops.
Attached File  image.jpeg   237.9KB   0 downloads The other airtime element and high five thing.
Attached File  image.jpeg   262.87KB   0 downloads Different angle.
Attached File  image.jpeg   189.89KB   1 downloads Another angle.
Attached File  image.jpeg   245.54KB   0 downloads Yet another angle angle lol.
Attached File  image.jpeg   191.98KB   0 downloads Not much has changed over here. I'll be replacing some of the supports with tube supports and I'm in the middle of making the station.

Comment!
~dylpickled~

#13 dgohstand

dgohstand

Construction Foreman

• 198 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:20 PM

Wow! This looks fantastic! I've been on the real coaster multiple times and what you've built looks almost identical too the real thing. My only worry is that you wont be able to maintain speed throughout the coaster. But I guess we will see soon enough. Great work! 

How do you build a coaster?

#14 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:25 AM

This is really coming together! Looks fantastic and the high five looks very smooth so far!

#15 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:54 AM

Looks good, but I don't think you'll have enough speed for that turn after the elements into the brake run or next lift hill. The drop after the high five element will kill a lot of your speed and so will that zero g stall element too. May make your trains are weighted and maybe add another car if you can.

Edited by IOAgeek, 06 October 2016 - 11:54 AM.

#16 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:26 PM

There are some construction threads that for some reason make me really want to start a new coaster, and this is one of them! Your track is layered so perfectly and looks very smooth. That being said, I think the whole turnaround element is much too drawn out. Keep in mind that the entire turn and high-5 element is on the same footprint that was originally just a normal 180* turn. After the airhill, the track dives down quite a bit before turning left, and then the high-5 part is a very sharp upward bump. It's pretty mind blowing how quickly the train twists side-to-side considering the speed you're going at. photo

#17 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:37 PM

Wow! This looks fantastic! I've been on the real coaster multiple times and what you've built looks almost identical too the real thing. My only worry is that you wont be able to maintain speed throughout the coaster. But I guess we will see soon enough. Great work!

I really hope to ride an rmc on the east coast soon. Hopefully rmc can come work their magic on hurler at Know mugs Dominion for 2017. I also think I'll just make it with the speed considering how far it makes it unweighted and unlubed.

This is really coming together! Looks fantastic and the high five looks very smooth so far!

Thanks Muzz!

Looks good, but I don't think you'll have enough speed for that turn after the elements into the brake run or next lift hill. The drop after the high five element will kill a lot of your speed and so will that zero g stall element too. May make your trains are weighted and maybe add another car if you can.

I think it'll barely make it like I said earlier, but if worst comes to worst then I'll have to add a booster or something.

There are some construction threads that for some reason make me really want to start a new coaster, and this is one of them! Your track is layered so perfectly and looks very smooth. That being said, I think the whole turnaround element is much too drawn out. Keep in mind that the entire turn and high-5 element is on the same footprint that was originally just a normal 180* turn. After the airhill, the track dives down quite a bit before turning left, and then the high-5 part is a very sharp upward bump. It's pretty mind blowing how quickly the train twists side-to-side considering the speed you're going at. photo

Thanks man! I'm currently looking at how to shape the high five but it's tricky because of how sharp it is.

---------------------------pictures------------------------

Attached File  IMG_6330.JPG   101.76KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_6333.JPG   104.52KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_6329.JPG   115.91KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_6329.JPG   115.91KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_6330.JPG   101.76KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_6330.JPG   101.76KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_6334.JPG   151.66KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_6334.JPG   151.66KB   0 downloads

Don't know what happened to the pictures..

Edited by dylpickled, 13 November 2016 - 09:43 PM.

#18 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:45 PM

I figured there was an update :).

I have a huge problem with this:
http://www.sscoaster...-1479090926.jpg

The turns are way too sharp. It needs to exhibit more of a straight line, rather than an S.

Everything else looks good, it's a bit hard to tell what's happening because of the quality of the pictures.

Can't wait for the next update. :)

#19 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:14 AM

I agree with RollerFreak, if you look at the real ride it goes in a straight line. Actually if anything it turns more to the left (from track POV). Otherwise everything is looking good though. I love that zero g roll :)

#20 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:38 AM

Looks great!  Just make sure you're building your supports to match your track, not the other way around.  

I know this was a while ago, but you can go to a store and get some cheap tarps from Home Depot or Lowes to protect your build against the elements.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tiredaf, twisty, wow, big, idek