The Longest Thread

• Please log in to reply
45735 replies to this topic

#44661 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:30 PM

Unfortunately, both sizes of K'nex tubing (ss rails and orange HTT tubing) are too thick for VV wheels.

#44662 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:15 PM

Sorry to interrupt the discussion (I'm trying to be less obnoxious), but I have a PSA: Let's say you have a container outside that has a little groove on the top so you can put your fingers underneath it to pick it up easier. I strongly advise caution before just shoving your fingers in there - stay mature, guys. I flipped over the recycling container and found two brown widows where my fingers would've been... 

TL;DR: Be careful when picking up outdoor crates because spiders. 

Edited by SCM, 14 August 2017 - 05:16 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44663 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:55 PM

^You don't want to become a Spidre-man?

On the topic of changing topics, I now have a job at SeaWorld San Antonio :D I'll be doing clean-up work and such, but hopefully Later on I'll be able to switch to a job more involved with the coasters.

#44664 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:41 AM

Congrats! Got to get your foot in the door somewhere!

#44665 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:24 AM

I found a guy on Instagram named 3d.printed.roller.coasters and his stuff looks incredible even if it's not functional.

https://www.instagra...oller.coasters/

#44666 X7123M3-256

X7123M3-256

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

Wow, that's an impressive model. I'd not seen that one.

#44667 TEDDSTER

TEDDSTER

Polar Bear

• 267 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:36 PM

Sorry to interrupt the discussion (I'm trying to be less obnoxious), but I have a PSA: Let's say you have a container outside that has a little groove on the top so you can put your fingers underneath it to pick it up easier. I strongly advise caution before just shoving your fingers in there - stay mature, guys. I flipped over the recycling container and found two brown widows where my fingers would've been... 

TL;DR: Be careful when picking up outdoor crates because spiders. 

Careful please and thank you.

I found a guy on Instagram named 3d.printed.roller.coasters and his stuff looks incredible even if it's not functional.

https://www.instagra...oller.coasters/

I've been in contact with that person for a bit now, it's insane how he designs his coasters!

I got my printer yesterday, and I'm starting the testing and calibration of it.

39797.png

#44668 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:08 PM

I was thinking back to when I joined the site here, (another random topic shift) amd remembered how active this thread was. I remember going through a page a day on average and now it seems like we're lucky if we get 2 posts a day. Really wish more people were active on the site.

#44669 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:52 AM

I was thinking back to when I joined the site here, (another random topic shift) amd remembered how active this thread was. I remember going through a page a day on average and now it seems like we're lucky if we get 2 posts a day. Really wish more people were active on the site.

Agreed. I'm working on project right now that's not for summer heat, however I am still trying to finish it quick. I emailed K'nex the other day about possibly rereleasing the SS for a discount value, but I have no response from them yet.

Another Topic change, College Football is returning in a couple weeks, yay!

Also, I miss the chat. :(

• SCM likes this

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#44670 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:26 AM

Doesn't seem like KNEX sells enough volume to reduce prices. I think the manufacturing costs are just too high. LEGOs could be cheaper, but people buy them regardless.

#44671 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:47 AM

I remember how one time KNEX had this one place in the Whittaker Center (something like that), where it was basically a place where you could just build whatever using the large amount of pieces. I think they should have something like that, where people can build a little something to get the feel of things. | In other news, I'm nearly done with the station for Purple Potato. I made a new one, because the original station was kinda stupid looking. 

Edit: Has there always been a green ..... line underneath the "Posted Today, 09:47 AM" thing, or have I just never noticed? 

Edited by SCM, 16 August 2017 - 08:49 AM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44672 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:35 PM

Procrastinating hard on many things I could be doing but I have a different placement for a couple of weeks so now I have no time again. In other news, almost exactly 4 years later after "that trip", I got back to Drayton Manor. Can confirm Apocalypse is still terrifying (for me anyway) and Ge-Force's restraints wildly uncomfortable.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#44673 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:23 PM

It is what it is :/ It seems like SSC's members have been getting older, on average, too. I remember I was 13 when I first joined and that wasn't uncommon at all. I suspect K'nex isn't as common of a gift to give your kids like it used to be. It used to be my main Christmas present every year.

Well I'd love to do a construction thread for my current project, but it's for work and I'm not sure they want me posting photos all over the internet before it's done. Anywho, here it is currently: http://m.imgur.com/hHN6Xy5

Also, has anyone tried painting a K'Nex coaster before?

#44674 TEDDSTER

TEDDSTER

Polar Bear

• 267 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:07 PM

I tried once, didn't work out as good as I was hoping though, but that was 4-5 years ago, and the paint that I tried using would come off whenever it was rubbed against. Good luck!

39797.png

#44675 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:07 AM

(Well this is awkward. Tried to manually quote and couldn't get rid of this.) Anyway, Yes, and in more ways than one. I painted the trains several colors, stopping at green (explains my hideous green train in the past). That was 1. 2) A side effect of painting the trains without taking them apart was that the paint got on the wheels and thus the tubing... vandalism ain't cool, kids. 3) I tried to paint a picture of Hexagon for my Art II class... hated that class. I'm a pretty good drawer, but I suck at painting and sculpting. Plus our tasks were all so... marshwalk oriented. No inspiration for me. \Also, has anyone tried painting a K'nex coaster before?

Edited by SCM, 17 August 2017 - 10:10 AM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44676 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:30 AM

It is what it is :/ It seems like SSC's members have been getting older, on average, too. I remember I was 13 when I first joined and that wasn't uncommon at all. I suspect K'nex isn't as common of a gift to give your kids like it used to be. It used to be my main Christmas present every year.

Well I'd love to do a construction thread for my current project, but it's for work and I'm not sure they want me posting photos all over the internet before it's done. Anywho, here it is currently: http://m.imgur.com/hHN6Xy5

Looking interesting Ryan!  How much longer do you have until they'd like it completed?

Just realized I haven't stopped by here in forever.  Had an internship this summer which kept me busy nonstop, wish I would've had time to build some.  Headed back to my senior year of college now... wow time flies

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#44677 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:00 PM

Good to see you stop by Rule!

#44678 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:11 PM

I think most of the people that were active a few years ago (jumpgee, jp, rcf, all the dutch members) have gotten older and have tigher schedules which don't allow them to have time to build, and we're not getting many new members, and less that stay and keep building. K'Nex isn't exactly popular now, so that doesn't help either. Hell, I never even see a single roller coaster set in Target when I walk in anymore, not even so much as a ferris wheel.

I didn't check until a few days ago, but it's nice that the summer heat deadline is at the end of September... I'd hoped to have finished my eurofighter by the first or second week of August, but I've been procrastinating.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#44679 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:43 AM

Only place I ever see a few coasters are at Toys-R-Us. Visit much more frequently with a baby now!

#44680 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:33 PM

I saw a Sorcerer's Eclipse set at a Tuesday Morning one time. I guess your best bet is to go to one of the stores that you wouldn't think to check, like an arts and craft store. Stores that aren't well known, y'know. They might have something. It's like knex is a taboo thing to sell in big name stores, but I guess it's more profitable to sell Legos (okay this is really starting to feel like a curse word), considering all of the lego movies and games and stuff that helps it sell itself. K'nex doesn't really have that. Edit: I am still The God of New Pages! 

Edited by SCM, 18 August 2017 - 02:34 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master