The Longest Thread

• Please log in to reply
45735 replies to this topic

#44721 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:47 PM

^i saw that on Reddit, and X7123M3-256 posted a link to that in another sub forum. It's pretty neat that you know those guys, though.

#44722 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

ranting somewhere about something

• 890 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:04 PM

Just finished a 14 hour shift on banshee.

The fact that they didn't put bins on this ride makes my life about 900000% harder....

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#44723 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:59 PM

^I was at Kings Island today. We probably saw each other but didn't know it!

#44724 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:52 AM

I think I'm going to have to say good luck to the Floridians now. Texas didn't really get much of that but there's still a chance of Irma squeezing past or out to sea. From there, who knows. My dad's in North Carolina right now and even that's not out of the woods completely. I've been watching this storm intensify over the week and all I can say is I hope it misses somehow.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#44725 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:48 AM

I thought we'd be safe up north, but no. Wildfires are destroying the area around Portland and ash is falling over the city... again. Stay strong though, for those either recovering or preparing from a hurricane.

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#44726 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:25 AM

I'm really worried. TWC says it's a cat 5 the size of Texas. I'm so uncertain. I hate being uncertain. 

Edit: Hurricane Irma to be specific. She sounds like a bitch... no offense to anyone named Irma who isn't a destructive bitch, of course. Edit 2: Post shortened because I talk too much. 

Edited by SCM, 11 September 2017 - 05:18 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44727 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

I think I'm going to have to say good luck to the Floridians now. Texas didn't really get much of that but there's still a chance of Irma squeezing past or out to sea. From there, who knows. My dad's in North Carolina right now and even that's not out of the woods completely. I've been watching this storm intensify over the week and all I can say is I hope it misses somehow.

Me too. The most recent thing I've seen is that the eye will basically pass over my house. Super exhilarated. 

And I just moved to Orlando, and am on my own, which should be even more exciting. Thanks for the luck, it's looking like we'll need it. 

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#44728 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

I'm trying to get an internship with GCI, have any members here had one there before? I'm pretty sure there have been a few, but I can't remember exactly who.

#44729 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

I'm really worried about this hurricane. The Weather Channel says it's a category 5 the size of Texas. What makes me scared of it is that apparently mountains didn't even put a dent in it, and I've also heard it's a record breaker. Excuse me for any future language in this post. I'm so uncertain. I hate being uncertain. Will it miss me? Will it hit us? Will it grow weaker if it gets to us? Will it get stronger? I'm really scared, guys! :
Edit: Hurricane Irma to be specific. She sounds like a bitch... no offense to anyone named Irma who isn't a destructive bitch, of course.

It hasn't passed over any mountains yet so we'll have to see what Cuba can do. It does look very organised so unless there's any significantly high peaks on Cuba (guess I could look that up), they probably don't won't do much. The important thing is to not panic. Just be aware of what's going on and react. Nothing's guaranteed just yet. Feeling for the northern Leeward Islands just now as they get the full 185mph which is horrific.

Edited by CW5X, 05 September 2017 - 02:22 PM.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#44730 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:22 PM

^Just to update: I'm doing better with this. Still nervous, though. I live about 1km away. My heart goes out to all the people affected by these things. Edit: Post shortened because I talk too much (quotes are correct). 

Edited by SCM, 11 September 2017 - 05:19 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44731 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:02 AM

If two hurricanes become too close, they begin to influence each other, with the stronger storm choking off the smaller storm. Galaxies are so much different because they are all empty space.

But hurricanes are critical aspects of earth that move heat around. Trying to modify them would lead to other disastrous consequences.

#44732 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

Yeah. Don't mess around with what you already can't control. Sound advice.

I think close hurricanes try to pull eachother closer together and that's the last thing you want. Irma's spent more than 24 hours at 185mph and is deepening again from recent data over the warm waters. No other hurricane or typhoon has ever done that. The sooner it gets out of there, the better.

My dad's in North Carolina at the moment and didn't seem totally calm about the situation. The tracks are still a decent spread and Irma could still hit there full on but as long as you are prepared and have rehearsed each situation, you'll likely be okay.

I kinda don't want to sugarcoat the situation as this storm is the real deal but at the same time, get busy and do what you can.

Tyndrum

#44733 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

I must admit I didn't look at it that way, and you're right... both of you. It would be unwise to mess with the weather... and if I were able to, I would be responsible for the consequences.  

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44734 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:35 PM

Mother Nature is scary enough as it is. Or maybe not. Here's 2 other hurricanes as well...

What on Earth is going on? Memories of 2005 are coming back.

Edit: Also, if you hadn't noticed already, I do tend to get quite obsessive over these storms as it's sort of a side hobby to watch out for them and follow them. I think the nervous energy somewhat feeds this and it is certainly doing so this time.

Edited by CW5X, 06 September 2017 - 05:39 PM.

Tyndrum

#44735 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:46 PM

I've never lived somewhere where there are hurricanes but I can imagine it must be really scary. In California we have earthquakes, but that's only like once every hundred years, even if it's more destructive. Hope you guys are all okay.

#44736 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

I've never lived somewhere where there are hurricanes but I can imagine it must be really scary. In California we have earthquakes, but that's only like once every hundred years, even if it's more destructive. Hope you guys are all okay.

Once that big quake happens... you and I and all other SSC members on the west coast are f*cked. I try not to think about it.

I miss roller coasters. I miss riding them, the smell of them, the breeze on your face, and just the overall theme park atmosphere. Probably gonna get a job at my home park when I'm old enough.

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#44737 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:43 PM

Once that big quake happens... you and I and all other SSC members on the west coast are f*cked. I try not to think about it.

I miss roller coasters. I miss riding them, the smell of them, the breeze on your face, and just the overall theme park atmosphere. Probably gonna get a job at my home park when I'm old enough.

I actually kind of want a big earthquake to happen, my house is on a hill but is very strongly attached to the bedrock under it. Of course it would still do damage, but we might as well get it over with, because the longer it takes to happen the bigger it'll get. I'm hoping there might be a bunch of small earthquakes, but either way there's probably going to be one huge one.

#44738 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:31 AM

Probably gonna get a job at my home park when I'm old enough.

I'd absolutely recommend it. I've never worked as a ride op myself, but I've heard it's really fun if you don't mind the repetitive nature of the job. And it looks really good when you're applying for a job, if you want to work in theme parks later on.

#44739 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:00 PM

It seems I've forgotten what it's like to write with word rules. I just finished an essay for school that needed at least 700 words. I'm an English nerd but word rules are silly to me. If I can make my point in 400 words, then there's no need to write an extra 300 words of nonsense. 

Edited by SCM, 11 September 2017 - 05:21 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44740 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:01 PM

Most college professors I've had really suggest that it be a certain length and then don't really care how long it is unless you get to the point.

Prime example: we had a 750 word paper due about a topic there really wasn't much about. My paper was around 350 words, and I got like an 85 on it, but for other reasons that it's length. Really depends on the professor though.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305