The Longest Thread

• Please log in to reply
45735 replies to this topic

#44761 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:30 AM

Your going to Detroit for work sounds familiar. | Guys, I saw a black widow spider today! I got a bit of a rush from seeing it. I've never seen one in real life before.| I have to do a project where I survey 30 or more people. I don't like it. It sounds so... *shivers* social. I'm just going to BS my way through it. 

Edited by SCM, 20 September 2017 - 03:27 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44762 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

ranting somewhere about something

• 890 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:59 PM

Yep. This is what my typical schedule looks like: https://imgur.com/a/VrBNh

It hurts more to sit than it does to stand after a day at banshee

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#44763 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

^Excuse my language but what the fvcking fvck!? 9:20 am to 1:45 am THE NEXT FVCKING DAY!? That's 16 hours and 15 minutes! OUTRAGEOUS. To go on a ride at 1:45 am, even on something like Banshee, is just ridiculous (I think). Eh, like I always say "[Name of Company] is making their money. Everyone else be damned." 

Edited by SCM, 22 September 2017 - 11:37 AM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44764 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:43 PM

Stopping at 2 am and having to start again before 10 am seems rough.

#44765 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

ranting somewhere about something

• 890 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:54 PM

Working here is so much chaos. They trained me to 3 planet snoopy rides after only about 4 days of working there, just as I was getting used to banshee. I dont know if I really want to work at KI anymore. I thought it would be something I really enjoyed but its probably the worst working experience ive ever had. Every shift I go into I have no idea what random fuckery is going to take place.

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#44766 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

"There are no federal or Ohio laws that prohibit or otherwise limit the right of an employer to require its employees to work as many hours as an employer sees fit. Thus, an employer can require its employees to work more than eight hours in day and more than 40 hours a week, without restriction."

"As extreme as it may seem, an employer can require an employee to work 24 straight hours, or work 80 or more hours in a week. Moreover, if an employee refuses to work overtime, an employer can discipline that employee, up to and including termination." Source

Since this is from the internet, I don't know for sure if it's legit, but I'm just going to say it is. The fact that an employer can require someone to work 24 straight hours - no breaks, that is, is such bullshit. To anyone who does that - your workers have these things... called LIVES OUTSIDE OF WORK. Just because you don't have one doesn't mean you have to keep others from returning to theirs...  :@

At this point, in your position, I'd definitely quit. If it's putting such a strain on you, it's not worth it. If you really need cash, then maybe stick around for a little bit and see if it gets better. 

Edited by SCM, 24 September 2017 - 07:01 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44767 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:45 AM

I don't think I'll ever complain about any work shift ever again after this. That's horrendous.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#44768 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:02 PM

SCM, that is quite the extreme situation you built up there. Nobody is gonna work somebody that long without a substantial break. Every company has HR and scheduling regulations, and every business, large or small, cares enough about their employees to make sure the have breaks to eat. Yeah, you may get scheduled from 9 AM to midnight, but you'll never work every single minute of that time.

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#44769 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

I suppose so, or at least for here. I'm sure there are other places where it does happen, though, regardless if it's legal or illegal. | So, the Summer Heat entry deadline is 9/30/17. Is this also the deadline to have rides submitted? (Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just want to know if my thoughts are correct. :P Edit: Finally, my 1, (6)  (6) (6) th post! Edit 2: I'm taking statistics and probability. This doesn't make any sense to me: "How many ways can Bob arrange 12 tracks on a CD?" The answer? 479,001,600 (This is from 12!) How the barnacles do you arrange 12 tracks in four-hundred and seventy-nine million, one thousand, and six-hundred ways? 12 x 12 = 144. Nope. Good thing you didn't mention "Oh yeah BTW, you gotta multiply taking out the tracks, too." 

Edited by SCM, 28 September 2017 - 06:37 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44770 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:27 PM

Yes, everything is due Saturday.

#44771 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:34 PM

Edit 2: I'm taking statistics and probability. This doesn't make any sense to me: "How many ways can Bob arrange 12 tracks on a CD?" The answer? 479,001,600 (This is from 12!) How the barnacles do you arrange 12 tracks in four-hundred and seventy-nine million, one thousand, and six-hundred ways? 12 x 12 = 144. Nope. Good thing you didn't mention "Oh yeah BTW, you gotta multiply taking out the tracks, too." 

Think of it this way (I'll modify your example to make it a bit easier to analyze in a physical sense): you start with 12 CD's on the floor. Randomly choose one (you like the music, the cover looks cool, or whatever) of the 12 and put it on a table. Now, chose one of the remaining 11 CD's and lay that next to it, and repeat until you have all the CD's all lined up. Now, think back to your first CD choice; you had 11 other CD's to choose, and from there, and the combination of the 2nd and 3rd CD you chose has dozens of different possibilities, and this goes all the way down to the last CD. That the essence of calculating the factorial and why you have a massive number. Think of the difference between 11 tracks and 12 tracks - that's a gigantic difference in itself. Stat can get a little mind-boggling that way.... 479-million sounds in the right ballpark, given the large number of tracks.

Edited by LaMbChOpZ, 28 September 2017 - 10:36 PM.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#44772 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:16 PM

Thank you so much, LaMbChOpZ! Your explanation made the whole thing so much more clear. You really helped me. :)

Edit: Summer Heat judgment day shall be upon us... how will they decide who lives and who dies? | (below) There was at least one more coaster made for this contest, but I guess it was never finished and/or uploaded. 

http://www.sscoaster...le-looper-r214 

Edited by SCM, 03 October 2017 - 12:41 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44773 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:11 AM

Are there more than 3 Summer Heat entries? To be considered, you have to enter through the database by selecting the contest on your model. You can edit your model at the bottom of your model page.

#44774 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:02 PM

3 weeks into the new semester and it doesn't feel like it's really hit yet. I have quite a bit to do over the weekend so I'm sure it will all be swinging me back into action but I feel like it's taking time to settle in again. Don't know how I got to 4th Year though. Where has the time gone?

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#44775 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:49 PM

Man it's been a while!

Sad to see it's a bit less crowded but still very nice that the people who are still here are keeping the hobby alive.

Greetings!

#44776 TEDDSTER

TEDDSTER

Polar Bear

• 267 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:30 PM

I'm going to Portland in about two weeks to get outta the house and Illinois. Anyone know of anything fun to do? I've been researching, but I haven't been able to find anything good that I've seen and I wondered if anyone knows anything fun to do.

The Joker is currently being stored at the moment, and I am still working on it... and I have another idea to build right now and I'm getting antsy about not starting it. 

Also, college sucks... haha. I'm working 16 hours a week, 16 credit hours of college, flight lessons, and ground school, and I'm about to rip my hair out right now.

Edited by TEDDSTER, 08 October 2017 - 08:31 PM.

39797.png

#44777 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:52 AM

I'm going to Portland in about two weeks to get outta the house and Illinois. Anyone know of anything fun to do? I've been researching, but I haven't been able to find anything good that I've seen and I wondered if anyone knows anything fun to do.

Portland is fun! If you have time, drive up to the Columbia River and do some hiking - it's 30 min. north of the city. They've got some incredible waterfalls (Multnomah Falls is really popular), and the Oneonta Gorge hikes are fantastic too! I'd also recommend walking around and getting dinner at food trucks whenever you can. Some neighborhoods have permanent food trucks and show movies outside at night.

On Saturday I did 24 interviews with 16 different theme park companies... it was brutal. So. Much. Talking. No roller coaster companies, but a couple of Ride Manufacturers (like Oceaneering) as well as Disney and Universal.

#44778 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:31 PM

Just had the first earthquake I've ever felt. I had noise cancelling headphones so I only felt the very end of it but it was actually kind of fun. I think most of the earthquakes I've been in have been 2 or under and this was a 4. I'm still kind of scared there might be a bigger one later though...

#44779 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:34 AM

I felt one myself a few years ago during science class. Barely noticed it. We had those black-top science lab desks with the drawers, and they were vibrating. 'Fair to say it had me.... shaking

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44780 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:16 AM

Be sure to rate the models in the Summer Heat contest. You can see them at the bottom of the page here:

http://www.sscoaster...om-the-past-r10