The Longest Thread

• Please log in to reply
45735 replies to this topic

#44881 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:10 PM

I'm also stuck at my parents' house until I can find a job and move out, and I don't know anyone in this town. And most of the jobs I'm applying for are in Orlando, so there's no point in making friends here if I'm gonna leave soon anyway.

I've become really interested in 3D printed coaster models lately. This guy proved that it's totally possible. It's not as much fun as K'Nex because the track pieces are rigid and you can't shape them with your hands, but it looks even prettier in the end. The only thing is that a nice FDM printer is expensive (the Lulzbot is $1250), so it'll be quite a while before I can afford one.

https://www.instagra.../print_my_ride/

• msoccerkidm likes this

#44882 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:44 AM

I forgot how much I love and hate micro Knex. It hurts my fingers sooooo bad, but at least I’m actually building. I can’t believe there’s one day left in 2017, this year has gone by so quickly!

Edited by Spaghetti, 31 December 2017 - 12:46 AM.

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#44883 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:07 PM

Happy New Year everyone. My year will begin similar to the previous: lots of K'nex.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#44884 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:21 AM

Happy New Year Everyone!

#44885 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:44 AM

Happy New Years SSC xx

#44886 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:04 PM

Ohai, Britfag. ^_^ Happy New Years, SSC! After close examination and rigorous study, it can be determined that it is 2018. 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44887 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:28 PM

I'm also stuck at my parents' house until I can find a job and move out, and I don't know anyone in this town. And most of the jobs I'm applying for are in Orlando, so there's no point in making friends here if I'm gonna leave soon anyway.

I've become really interested in 3D printed coaster models lately. This guy proved that it's totally possible. It's not as much fun as K'Nex because the track pieces are rigid and you can't shape them with your hands, but it looks even prettier in the end. The only thing is that a nice FDM printer is expensive (the Lulzbot is $1250), so it'll be quite a while before I can afford one.

I've been talking to that guy on instagram. Modeling the track sounds like a bitch, but the end product is just awesome. He's working on a 1:50? scale Millennium Force next 

#44888 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:32 PM

Looks an absolute pain to build but the end result is something that lasts. If that took a momth to print though, how long will Millenium Force take? And 1:50 is still over 6 feet. It's going to be epic.

Edit: haha literally just said the same thing as you in the first sentence. Whoops 😂

Edited by CW5X, 02 January 2018 - 05:33 PM.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#44889 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:09 PM

I've been talking to that guy on instagram. Modeling the track sounds like a bitch, but the end product is just awesome. He's working on a 1:50? scale Millennium Force next

So am I! I asked if he could create a sped-up recording of how he designs his coasters in SolidWorks. I've done it before, but it was just X2's drop so there was no banking or twisting.

#44890 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:27 AM

So am I! I asked if he could create a sped-up recording of how he designs his coasters in SolidWorks. I've done it before, but it was just X2's drop so there was no banking or twisting.

He's tracing a "master" exported from nolimits, its in one of his posts. And then I'd imagine he does a swept profile for the rails off the of the spline. He said most of the cross tie work is done by hand in 3d sketches which sounds miserable. And yeah, it would be really cool to see a video of him doing it! 

#44891 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:04 PM

Owyowyoeyowyowyowyowyowyowyow.

Did so much "K'nexing" today, my IPad fingerprint ID doesn't recognise my finger again. And they're burning like mad. Got most of the hard stuff out of the way though.

Tyndrum

#44892 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

Happy late New Years everyone! Its been a while since I've been here. I haven't worked on a coaster in a looooong time because of school and playing video games, but I'm gonna try to start building again maybe sometime in February.

Wow this is actually at the college I want to go to so hopefully I'll get to see it! I've had thoughts about 3d printing better cars for micro track with smaller wheels, but we don't really have the fanciest 3d printer at my school so I'm not sure how well it would turn out anyway.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#44893 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:32 PM

We had some snow today. Only about 2 cm thick, but snow is really rare here. Snowing is rare. Even rarer is when it doesn't melt instantly on the ground. Rarer still is a snow-covered ground. I've honestly never seen icicles irl before... I knew that tearing up Santa's letter would do the trick. 

Edited by SCM, 04 January 2018 - 02:37 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44894 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:42 PM

We generally get a bit of snow, maybe a week or so, every year here. It'll be generally cold but there will be a week where it just snaps and then it will be back up to reasonable again afterwards. Not like 2010 where we had 3 months of constant shallow snow or 2011 where, for 2 to 3 weeks, it was 2 feet deep minimum. Those were some years. There was an excellent ice slide that formed down a slope not too far from my house though. I was the first to realise the "fun potential" of sliding down it. Soon after, there were lots of people riding it. Must have been a good 50 metres long and was awesome.

Edited by CW5X, 04 January 2018 - 07:43 PM.

Tyndrum

#44895 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:50 PM

Wow this is actually at the college I want to go to so hopefully I'll get to see it! 

Same! I'd love to go to Perdue for aviation purposes. I've realized over the span of the last year that I want to be a pilot.

I created a predrop section and a drop but the shaping's awful. Need to fix it and add tubes before I update.

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#44896 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

What I used to do back in college:

https://www.youtube....h?v=koe4kdWKStQ

Edited by commando, 05 January 2018 - 12:40 PM.

#44897 msoccerkidm

msoccerkidm

Engibeer

• 699 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:31 PM

Hi guys! 

It's been a whopping 5 years since I have last visited/posted/ been active on SSCoasters. I have really been itching to unbury my K'Nex from storage and build something new. I feel models nowadays are so much different from what I used to build. Any ideas on what might be a good coaster to build to get back into it? I have never made a tube support coaster and think that could be a fun build. 

Anyways, hello again! Hope to be more active in the near future!

Posted Image
thanx CC10

#44898 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:56 PM

Wohoah! It feels like forever but it's great to see you back. I haven't been as active lately, so I've missed a lot of construction on SSC, but I feel like people tend to opt for more traditional coaster styles these days. I haven't seen a lot of blitz coasters or eurofighters or wild mouses or suspended coasters lately.

I'm thinking of breaking mine out of storage and building something too, I just don't know what to build yet. Surely someone has seen an idea and thought "I'd love to see that in K'Nex someday"?

#44899 msoccerkidm

msoccerkidm

Engibeer

• 699 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:16 PM

Wohoah! It feels like forever but it's great to see you back. I haven't been as active lately, so I've missed a lot of construction on SSC, but I feel like people tend to opt for more traditional coaster styles these days. I haven't seen a lot of blitz coasters or eurofighters or wild mouses or suspended coasters lately.

I'm thinking of breaking mine out of storage and building something too, I just don't know what to build yet. Surely someone has seen an idea and thought "I'd love to see that in K'Nex someday"?

Hi! Thanks for the welcome back. I was definitely thinking about doing a eurofighter or blitz coaster. I havent decided how big of a build I want to get into yet.

Posted Image
thanx CC10

#44900 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:23 AM

Somehow, you seem familiar. | Spending $300 on a college textbook that doesn't even have a cover (loose-lief) is complete BS. Couldn't we spend $600? Or $800? Especially if it's a 'required' course... and we should charge $400 a year $400 a month to carry on PB's legacy. 

Edited by SCM, 08 January 2018 - 10:24 AM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master