The Longest Thread

• Please log in to reply
45735 replies to this topic

#45661 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 07:36 AM

Okay so my vacation coming up has had some major modifications!

Day 1 is going to be Dollywood (for a few hours when they open), drive up to King’s Island for close if we have time.
Day 2is a full day at King’s Island
Day 3 is Kennywood (and maybe Lakemont Park in the evening if Kennywood doesn’t screw us over with long lines)
Day 4 is Dutch Wonderland and Dorney Park
Day 5 is a full day at Knoebels
Day 6&7 is Hersheypark
Day 8 is Busch Gardens Williamsburg
Day 9 is Kings Dominion
Day 10 is Carowinds
And the last day is going to be the long drive back to Florida.

Should be a really exciting and exhausting trip. But I’m very excited to go to some new parks! :)

That sounds sweet! A 10 day road trip.. oh I miss the days ;) 

#45662 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 08:13 PM

BGW - I used to have a mousepad with a picture I took of Alpengeist's 0-g roll. Carowinds - I definitely recommend Intimidator and especially Nighthawk in freezing rain. This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think Nighthawk has the comfiest restraints in the entire park. 

Edit: Forum.... take a looksie at this: https://www.youtube....h?v=n0QaSIok4Yo it has 'Yo' in the URL so it's a mandatory watch. ;) 

Edited by SCM, 17 June 2021 - 09:46 AM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#45663 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 06:52 PM

Spring--- no

Covid--- no.. that's not right

Lockdown cl--- that's still wrong

Maybe spring? No, its july

Post covid summer sorting. There we go!

(Seriously though, I've been putting this off for way too long)

It's being done more out of necessity now than actual want. My last 18 months have been quite rough. Underlying depression was brought to the surface after my girlfriend decided that she would rather see someone else and that (long story short) led to an attempt on myself back in December. Fast forward 8 months, therapy, medication, and a job later, I have an opportunity to move out of my parents house in August. I've had the itch to build recently but just dont have room to do so. The first step is sorting all my pieces and then storing them until myself and my roommate move in to the apartment mid next month. Life seems to be shaping up and I'm really excited for it!

For those of you that have moved out already, which I think is a majority of you, do you have any stories of "dont do what I did" or "you gotta make sure to do this" 😂

Oh yeah, my sorting setup as of right now.

Attached File  20210702_184201.jpg   105.64KB   0 downloads

#45664 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:36 PM

One thing I didn't know about Cincinnati was how many roller coaster companies and manufacturers work out of the city. Last week I got a tour of Gravity Group's facility which was a great experience. One of their owner's (there's 4) happens to go to my parents' church. He was very kind to take me out to lunch as well and I got to ask him a lot of questions. It was super cool. I'm also in development of a new ride and have pieces coming in. I might have to post a construction in the next coming weeks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#45665 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 11:15 AM

For those of you that have moved out already, which I think is a majority of you, do you have any stories of "dont do what I did" or "you gotta make sure to do this"

I would ignore renting rules that state you can't modify the property - at the end of the day it's better to make it your home and either pay to have it repaired or learn to repair it when you leave, than it is to live in a house that doesn't feel like a home!

It's really common in the UK that you can't repaint or hang pictures in rental properties, but I ignored that rule outright.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better, and I hope you keep feeling better as more doors open in the world in your new apartment!!!

#45666 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 07:32 PM

It's been over a month since the last post in this thread. Wow. Anyway, I've been working on plans for an entirely new coaster with the black and purple color scheme. It'll be scary-themed and be released during some future Halloween. I can promise that it will be well worth the wait. :)

If I go through a loop on an invert, the force pushes me up and away from the track. If I go through a camelback, the force pushes me up and away from the track. The airtime in the camelback causes me to leave my seat while the invert loop causes me to be pushed into my seat. However, because the track is above my head on the invert loop, I'm being pushed in the opposite direction of the track. Both examples involve being pushed away from the track. 

Negative air time? 

Edited by SCM, 18 August 2021 - 06:47 PM.

• G Force likes this

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#45667 Turtle Man 24

Turtle Man 24

I Lost The Game

• 1198 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:25 PM

Ah, the memories. Been over three years since I've visited here. Always nice to see some familiar faces still around. Finally out of the military(Army National Guard) after six years. Started making some like "rustic americana" type stuff i guess you'd call it with a friend who's been doing that stuff for years now. Probably just a part time thing for now, been wanting to try to get in as an apprentice as an electrician but just haven't done anything about it yet. Really not sure if I want to go residential or commercial though. There's a lot more opportunities in commercial, and the schooling is a couple years longer I believe, since there's a lot more to learn with commercial electric. Just not sure which I'd go for though.

Edit: I realize the links I have here doesn't really work anymore, haha. I should probably delete them or at least fix them sometime.

Edited by Turtle Man 24, 16 September 2021 - 08:28 PM.

• SCM likes this

turtleman24.png
http://www.coasterco.../#Turtle Man 24

[Turtle Man 24] 1:34 am: Thou shall know not of meaness of Mean Streak, so thou must talk not of it

#45668 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 04:35 AM

It's been over a month since the last post in this thread. Wow. Anyway, I've been working on plans for an entirely new coaster with the black and purple color scheme. It'll be scary-themed and be released during some future Halloween. I can promise that it will be well worth the wait. :)

Halloween draws closer ;) 

• SCM likes this

#45669 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 02:49 PM

The only successful holiday coasters I've made came around Christmas before I could drive, the first was before I was even on this site and terrible, the second was not great. I think the second is in my signature. 

#45670 G Force

G Force

Yea Man

• 1098 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:01 PM

The only successful holiday coasters I've made came around Christmas before I could drive, the first was before I was even on this site and terrible, the second was not great. I think the second is in my signature. 

Definitely remember your Sleigh Ride coaster vividly, thinking there was a video that went with it too that was pretty fun.  Honestly for the time it was pretty solid... well at least enough for me to sort of remember it lol.

Anyways, recently got a put on a trip down memory lane via the Youtube algorithm recommending me a few old videos.  Been on a real nostalgia kick recently looking at all the old models, and some new ones too.  Sad the site isn't as active as it once was but wonderful to see it still going.

Wish I could build a little, was surprised to learn my sets are still in possession of my parents, but living in a small apartment basically crushes any hopes of that.  But who knows, maybe one day?

Edited by G Force, 05 October 2021 - 04:08 PM.

#45671 G Force

G Force

Yea Man

• 1098 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 05:24 PM

Man, guess I really underestimated how inactive the site is now!  :   

• SCM likes this

#45672 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:30 AM

Sorry for what this site has become. Wish the heyday of KNEX was still strong but it just isn't; could do some cool things with the knowledge I have gained over the years in site design.

• G Force likes this

#45673 G Force

G Force

Yea Man

• 1098 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 02:55 PM

Sorry for what this site has become. Wish the heyday of KNEX was still strong but it just isn't; could do some cool things with the knowledge I have gained over the years in site design.

No need to apologize, its very much out of your control.  Simply the fact you've kept the site up for nearly 20 years is super impressive given how the Internet has changed, let alone your own life.  Love having it still up even if activity is rare.

• BGTKing and SCM like this

#45674 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 26 October 2021 - 07:39 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself. x2 (^ & v) 

Edited by SCM, 27 October 2021 - 06:53 AM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#45675 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 26 October 2021 - 07:52 PM

Regardless of where the site is at now, the impact it's had on my life and others is beyond understandable. It's still a large part of my story and is the largest contributor to where I am at now in terms of my career. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing. Brings me back to the times staying up late in the chat box having a great time. I still tell the story of when I went to Kings Island with a few other site folks. One of my fondest childhood memories (:

• SCM likes this

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#45676 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 06:19 AM

Happy Halloween! (6) 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#45677 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 09:36 PM

just had a great 2021 thorpe season finale, got press tickets for a buyout on thursday night, but it's just the scare attractions though, have good weeks

hello there.   I'm CrayCray for Coasters and i truly am

YT: https://www.youtube....TtN7habMCySGc0A

#45678 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 02:38 PM

I love K'nex commercials.

I wish I got that excited about coasters. 

Edit: WOOO post 1998. Was born in 1998. :D

BTW, does anyone else listen to Ear Biscuits? (w/ Rhett and Link from GMM). They talked about K'nex for a few minutes and it felt awesome. 

Edited by SCM, 14 November 2021 - 05:31 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#45679 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 10:06 PM

The internet has changed so much. These little corners of the internet with niche communities have really suffered. People just doing things because they loved it, not to get a million views. I'm not trying to be too "old man yells at cloud" but it is a real shame that most of these communities have died. You just can't build the same connections with people on big social media sites. I'm glad I got to experience it! Like others have said, this was such a significant part of my childhood, and it's great to be able to come back and relive some of those memories. Please do reach out if you ever have thoughts of shutting it down. I would hate to lose this place, barely active or not.

That all said, I'm a dad these days! My first daughter was born in June! Little Brooke. I'm also 30! I joined this place just after my 15th birthday, so I've officially been a part of SSC longer than I haven't! Time sure does fly. Hope everyone is doing well with wherever their lives have taken them! 

• SCM likes this

Posted Image

#45680 Zorn

Zorn

I build stuff

• 1108 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 09:30 PM

I'm with you. I miss seeing the builds here.  I still login every once in a while to see if anything interesting is being built.  All my K'nex is tucked away, one day I'll get back into it.  I definitely miss it.  

I've graduated college 7 years ago now.  I'll hit the big 30 milestone in a few months.  It's amazing how quick time goes by.  

Check me out

Youtube