The Longest Thread

• Please log in to reply
45735 replies to this topic

#45701 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 02:09 PM

16 years on SSC! I joined when I was 15, so that's officially more of my life on the site than off it.  Goodness, how on earth are most of us in our 30s now?

Posted Image

#45702 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 05:48 PM

Going through an old password manager app and found my login credentials to this site. Long time no see :) Really happy to see this place still around and it's great to see names I remember after so long... No one probably remembers me because I really didn't get around to building much, but I always had fond memories of this site and the inspiration it gave me.

EDIT: Weird too seeing my own username too when I haven't used it for anything in... +8 years, easily.

Edited by LaMbChOpZ, 21 March 2022 - 05:53 PM.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#45703 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 08:31 PM

I remember you! | I had a dream last night where the site was redesigned. The site logo had white X-ties and blue tubing. The VV track was black. The chat was back. You better believe that's the first tab I clicked on. That's where the dream ended. 

Edited by SCM, 14 May 2022 - 10:01 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#45704 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 03:27 PM

Man what a throwback! Came across my K’nex in the attic and decided to check on the website, glad to see it’s still here! Maybe someday I’ll pull them down and build something. Definitely a hobby I loved and miss. Cheers to everyone!

#45705 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 12:44 PM

My son is dabbling a bit with a newer Knex set. Still young, but getting the hang of it.

#45706 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 09:04 AM

I'm thinking about transforming the site a bit. It would primarily turn into the model database with a construction section. I have a pretty beefy server I have Thrill Data that I want to move the site under, but with how old the forum software is, it is probably impossible to move in current form.

#45707 RCT2123

RCT2123

• 5771 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 11:50 AM

thrill-data becoming a standard in the theme park community is so cool.

The site could definitely use some modernizing, but I wouldn't want to lose all the history.  Maybe that's asking too much, though, I'm sure the old forum software is a mess.  

Posted Image

#45708 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 09:20 PM

^^ Would this mean that everything but the model database and construction threads would be deleted? Would all other threads (this one included) be deleted?  

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#45709 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 07:06 PM

It's all just conjecture at this point. It would be a big time effort and my time is rather limited.

#45710 Jplaz

Jplaz

Metaphysical Prophet

• 2776 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 01:31 PM

16 years on SSC! I joined when I was 15, so that's officially more of my life on the site than off it.  Goodness, how on earth are most of us in our 30s now?

I think I was 12 (which is technically against TOS, plz don't ban me) so after 15 years I too have spent more time on SSC than off. But at least I'm not 30 yet  :lol: :lol:

EDIT: My sig is beautiful, too bad photobucket had to s*** all over it. I'm almost bored enough to go fix that...

EDIT2: Shame it seems the site is not as active as it once was. Kids these days and their TikToks. I fondly remember the summer of flamewarz back in like 2010? 2011? when myself, Minimoggi, and Lazor22 would go around winding people up and generally being ingrates. Good times, good times...

Edited by Jplaz, 16 June 2022 - 01:35 PM.

Posted Image

#45711 deermichael

deermichael

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 June 2022 - 04:53 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm Michael, deermichael on YouTube (wondering if I could change my username to deermichael?). I know this site isn't as active as it used to be, so I thought I would help contribute to keeping it alive. I remember exploring this site during my childhood, and although I never posted, I still love checking back from time to time looking at all the different roller coasters on here for inspiration. Thought I would make my first post on here after 10 years :) I can't believe I was 11 when I first made an account on here, and now I'm 21 and almost done with college. I still remember getting the Loopin' Lightning knex set for Christmas back in 2010, my first knex set ever, and being addicted to knex ever since. One of my favorite memories was being a grand prize winner in the knexpert search back in 2015! I don't build as much as I used to because of school and work, but every once in a while I try to build something. Question for all of you reading this: has a Vekoma SLC recreation ever been built out of knex? If not, I was thinking of building one as a summer project since it was my first roller coaster (probably why I was scared of roller coasters for so long after lol). Let me know what you guys think, and I'll link my YouTube below (although I haven't updated it in a while). Thanks!

https://www.youtube....o1mMMDdPRHrDA8w

• SCM likes this

#45712 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 06:23 PM

Welcome Michael!

#45713 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 10:33 AM

I've been playing Subnautica for about two weeks now, and it's given me the idea for a themed polarcoaster. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#45714 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 12:53 PM

I fondly remember the summer of flamewarz back in like 2010? 2011? when myself, Minimoggi, and Lazor22 would go around winding people up and generally being ingrates. Good times, good times...

Aaaaaaah the good ol' days

#45715 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 10:25 AM

Someone else might've posted this already in another thread on the site, but.

Attached File  20220907_102322.jpg   128.78KB   0 downloads

RIP Top Thrill Dragster

#45716 RCT2123

RCT2123

• 5771 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 02:23 PM

I really hope they transition it to LSMs.  It won't be the same, but I would hate to lose such an iconic coaster.  It's genuinely such a fun ride too.  Even as a coaster enthusiast, there's just something special about going 120 MPH and instantly ending up 420ft in the air.  

when myself, Minimoggi, and Lazor22 would go around winding people up and generally being ingrates. Good times, good times...

Haha! The Lazor days! So much drama.

Edited by RCT2123, 09 September 2022 - 02:24 PM.

Posted Image

#45717 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 10:53 AM

Oh god this site is an archive of my cringeworthy adolescence, I think I was 13 when I joined? Yikes. I wouldn't mind that element being gone, although at least it's in the obscure corners of the internet and not on Facebook tied to my face. But there's a lot more about this site I have fond memories of. I haven't finished a coaster since August 2013, been almost 10 years. I moved away from the town my school and into an apartment with the BF, and now we moved into a spare room of our friends' for now, so unfortunately the reversing coaster I was working on is down and there hasn't been space for me to build since May. But I've had the urge, and ideas. I have enough pictures and videos of the coaster to recreate the reversing mechanism. 

I did somehow snag an incomplete Rippin Rocket set from Goodwill for $25, it doesn't have the car but it has at least most of the other pieces. 

#45718 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 18 February 2023 - 07:38 AM

DDRMAN! Hey! I remember talking with you so many years ago, I hope you've been doing good.

Hello everyone. It has been quite a while since I've been able to login, and I finally found my login information after I thought about sscoasters the other night at work, I then went home to find it. To my surprise I was able to get in, and I was elated. 

My last login was 4 years ago back in 2019, and that felt like returning after a long time, but it feels like nothing compared to now. I went back through a lot of old posts, and re lived a lot of the memories I had with the many people I interacted with.

What I couldn't help but notice though, was how disrespectful I was as a person through the majority of the time I spent on here. People would point something out to me, and I would argue because I couldn't accept being proven wrong. Looking back its so obvious how hostile and rude I was being, but at the time I didn't feel that way. I see now how I conducted myself very poorly earlier in my life, and since then I have started to change a lot of things. I wish I could go back with a clearer mind to be the person I feel like I should be and am now trying to be. 

I started projects that were never finished, argued with the people who only wanted to help me. It was immature, and it was unfair. I used to blame it on the circumstances in my life, but I was short sighted and wasn't taking accountability.

I wanted to apologize to anyone that might come back to check on SSC that I may have interacted unfairly with. 

Despite how cringey or unbearable my younger self was, I made many friends who I talked for hours with for many years. Now that I have lost contact with many people, it makes me miss it even more. 

I think of this site pretty much daily, and I'm always wondering how some of the people I used to look up to are doing. 

I miss all of you, thank you guys for all the time spent in the chatrooms, forums... its so nostalgic. Browsing this site was enough to bring me to tears remembering all the memories behind the posts, and profiles of people I talked with. 

I don't mean to make this too sappy, but this site and the people on it meant a lot to me. And if anyone logs back in quick, I just wanted you to know this.

• SCM likes this

Signature not available 

#45719 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for the post Connector. This site has meant a lot to many over the years. It's a shame kids these days aren't into building things like previous generations.

#45720 Dragon

Dragon

ROAR!

• 1481 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 11:10 AM

Holy smokes I can't believe I still remember my log-in info!

man it's been too long since I've last came here, lol

In that time I did 3 years of Mechanical Engineering, dropped out, started Architecture (luckily only 1 year left before graduating!), got into a band! (And we released an album too!)

How have you guys been? what's the news?!

Edited by Dragon, 20 February 2023 - 11:17 AM.

• SCM likes this