background story blitzcoaster maverick outerlimits659

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

Yeah, my VV Eurofighter is canceled. I keep getting sucked into VV coasters, only to realize that I hate that track. :iyes So I started a new SS coaster instead. :) I'm going to try some sort of story behind this coaster as well (sorta like Fantasma or Tachophobia). So here goes....

I was driving back from a friends house several weeks ago, and passed by our local theme park. As we drove by, I noticed a recently cleared patch of land. Some footers and a single support column had been placed. I managed to get a good shot of what had been built too!

Posted Image

As soon as I got home, I checked the theme park site and discovered the new coaster for 2009 that had been hinted several times over the site. Park officials have confirmed that this will be a Maverick-styled Blitzcoaster with one or two inversions. Here's a few more pics that I shot over the following weeks.

Posted Image
Some lift supports went up.....

Posted Image
And were quickly finished.
Posted Image
Some of the lift tracking has also started.

That's all I have for now, but I'll let you guys know when I can get some more pics of the progress. :)

Off-story: Oh, and I'll replace those 3-D connectors on the bottom with half moons too.

OL659-:mwik

Posted Image

TTD l I305 l MF l Maverick l Dueling Dragons l Montu l Apollo's Chariot l Raptor l Hulk l Kumba

#2 knexems

knexems

Aminspec Employee

• 887 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:56 PM

Wow, just the lift looks awesome! Will you be going higher than where you are now?

Posted Image]

Posted Image

Posted Image <---If only...

#3 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:10 PM

Wow, this park builds fast!
Any chance you could ask the builders or Park Officials what the total height of the coaster will be?

and is there any hints on the site about the layout?

#4 MP thrill rides

MP thrill rides

Lead Engineer

• 1973 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:23 PM

Looks cool! What is the parks name again? I want to ride it!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:50 PM

^^^ Thanks, after looking at the lift a bit I raised it by a blue rod.

^^This update will show the final height. Nothing is known about the layout though. ;)

^ Haha, I haven't thought up a name for the park yet. In the story, I'll just refer to it as 'my local themepark' LOL. And now, onto the story....

Hey guys, I took a trip to the park today (just pretend it's not March okay?) and I got some nice pics of the progress. The lift is now completed, though it won't be functional until later on I guess. Most of these pics were taken from the park's observation tower.

Posted Image
Blurry pic taken from ground level.
Posted Image
Everybody loves a lift. :)
Posted Image
I was lucky enough to get a good side view of the crest while going up the tower.
Posted Image
Overview from higher up.

And now for some good news: I called the park, and with the help of the coaster organization that I happen to be a part of, we were able to arrange a tour of the construction area!! By that time, I hope the drop will be complete. I can't wait!! Now here's some info taken from the park site that explains a bit about this coaster:

This recent addition to our park will be a Maverick-style blitzcoaster, with several low-to-the-ground banked curves, airtime hills and a midcourse launch. Plans for the name and theming are being completed, although information regarding these is classified at the moment. You can expect some pictures of the coaster from the people who are part of a special tour that the park has arranged though. Also, there is a chance of some sort of special seating for the trains that will enhance the ride experience. This is not assured though. This is pretty much all the info we can release at this moment, but you can expect some more as construction continues.

Posted Image

TTD l I305 l MF l Maverick l Dueling Dragons l Montu l Apollo's Chariot l Raptor l Hulk l Kumba

#6 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

Looks pretty good for a Red Rod base coaster..
Do this justice!

#7 SwimZONE

SwimZONE

Models of ships are hard.

• 2654 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:12 PM

Sweet! I like it. One question though: is the theme of the park bodybuilding? Because in a picture it has a huge weight...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Maverick | X2 | Millenium Force | Top Thrill Dragster | Tatsu
Wild Thing | Renegade | Goliath | Raptor | Mantis

#8 MP thrill rides

MP thrill rides

Lead Engineer

• 1973 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:28 PM

I think it looks really good so far. Nice job.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#9 da master826

da master826

Friend of GLaDOS

• 1306 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

Hey guys, I took a trip to the park today (just pretend it's not March okay?)

Why don't you say you went with a special ACE pre-season tour.

Anyway this looks great.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image
Intimidator305, El Toro, Maverick, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Top Thrill Dragster

#10 christian

christian

Lead Engineer

• 1662 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:28 PM

Those workers are good.

[reallife] Do you have a layout yet? [/reallife]

-MIBB)

#11 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

Moggi: Thanks, I'll try.

SwimZone: Lol, we have a lot of random stuff in our basement. It has nothing to do with the park though. Thanks anyway.

MP: Thanks.:)

da Master: ACE has special pre-season tours?? *wishes he could join ACE*. I'll just pretend it's not March though.

MIB: Thanks, and layout ideas are classified in real life too. ;)

I had the tour today, and it was a blast!! I got some nice pics and we witnessed the replacement of a track piece (more on that later). I discovered that the drop was indeed close to finishing. I've also heard that the workers had some trouble while placing these pieces (hence the replacing of a piece). Here's the pics, enjoy!!

Posted Image
The first view of the drop, while walking up to the construction area.

Posted Image
Everybody loves a drop.

Posted Image
I got a construction worker to get a pic of the lift foundations.

Posted Image
And I got another worker to get this pic.

Posted Image
The tour included a trip up the observation tower, so we could get some more angles. This one was taken while going up.

Posted Image
Overview....

Posted Image
This pic was taken after the track replacement. You may notice that the last support has changed.

[offstory] I think the shape of the drop is okay, except that I may make some small changes. I'll see what you guys say though. Oh, and these pics make the pullout look slightly smaller than it really is. [/offstory]

PLZ COMMENT!!!!

Posted Image

#12 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:43 PM

I think you'd better notify the build team about the lack of crossties at the end-area of the crest!, it could cause some serious injuries! and take away from the coaster!
But otherwise, give them some compliments, the design, is lookin' fine!

#13 knexems

knexems

Aminspec Employee

• 887 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:01 PM

^Really dude? It's for the gears. ;)

Still looks cool. The very beginning of the pullout might be a tad sharp.

Posted Image]

Posted Image

#14 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:05 PM

^ haha! Oh yeah!
I forgot about the chain completely xD

tell the park the design is looking boom!

#15 Millcreek47

Millcreek47

BANNED

• 1186 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:22 PM

Could it be angled in more? On maverick, its 95* down.

Posted Image

Posted Image
(Sig under construction)

-----XBL Gamertag - I were Speshul-----

Top 5: Time Machine, The Incredible Hulk, Goliath, Dueling Dragons, Georgia Scorcher

#16 /\ero

/\ero

CP dodgeball 10-11

• 846 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

^His is pretty close to 95, it looks like it's below vertical so I say keep it. Continue.

#17 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:06 PM

Wow, this is amazing. Blitzcoasters just have some strange appeal to me...
If you get a chance, could you ask some construction workers what the launch will be like?

#18 SwimZONE

SwimZONE

Models of ships are hard.

• 2654 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:46 PM

Sorry to be a mean, but the end of the crest is too sharp.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Maverick | X2 | Millenium Force | Top Thrill Dragster | Tatsu
Wild Thing | Renegade | Goliath | Raptor | Mantis

#19 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for comments everyone!

Kenexems: I touched up the track a bit and it looks fine now. And there's still the fact of that darn picture resizing (see my reply to SZ).

SwimZone: I spotted that, but when I attempted to reduce the angle, the drop became pretty much vertical. Plus, I've looked at that drop in:
A: Real life

B: On the camera

C: On one computer

D: On our other computer

E: On SSC

The drop looks slightly different every time. Sometimes it's sharper and smaller, sometimes it's way too skinny (especially when I rotate the pics). This may be fixed if I can find my other camera though. I'll get some pics of the drop in the next update for you. :tmbs Yeah, this isn't really an update seeing as I'm going off-story.
I started trying to find some good supports for the turn, but nothing looked that good except for radii supports. I'm just not sure if radii supports will make the turn too gradual or not though. Here's some pics of how big the turn will be if radiis are used (I didn't use red and yellow radiis because that would've been way too gradual). And don't mind the pullout of the drop, I'll be redoing it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If these supports wont work, does anybody have any good supporting ideas for the turn??

COMMENT!!!

Posted Image

#20 knexems

knexems

Aminspec Employee

• 887 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

I think those supports will work. It would look so cool to have a perfect curve there.

Make sure you add braces on the outside of the turn.

Posted Image]

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: background story, blitzcoaster, maverick, outerlimits659