#1 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:51 PM

Remember the Eagle
Posted Image

A Tribute Coaster to the 'Screechin' Eagle'

This is my Woodie Buildoff coaster. It is a recreation/tribute to the screechin eagle at the amusement park 'Americana'. The coaster was constructed in 1927 in Moxohalia Amusement Park in Zanesville, Ohio then was relocated to Americana in 1938. It was formerly known as the Cyclone (1938-1960), the Space Rocket (1961-1977), and the Screechin' Eagle (1978-2002). IN 1998, the Screechin' Eagle ranked 23rd in an international wooden coaster poll and in 2003, won the Amusement Today Golden Ticket Award for the 40th best wooden coaster in the world. After 74 years of operation, sadly, the amusement park ran out of money and was shut down. There have been many attempts at reopening but now, the rides are in such bad shape that nothing can be done. So now the coaster sits as a once proud giant amoung wooden coasters.

Here are a few websites of some pictures. For some reason i cant just copy the pictures. So i cant post any comparison pictures, just the website with it in it.

Google Image Result for http://soaphs.com/americana/logo2002.jpg

Google Image Result for http://soaphs.com/americana/coasterpic.jpg

I will try to get pictures up tomorrow so please, do not delete this mods.

#2 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:16 PM

Very interesting. Since I got into coasters, I've always hoped to get a ride on this. It's only 20 minutes away, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

Anyway, good luck to you!

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#3 Intamin Thrill Rides

Intamin Thrill Rides

Construction Worker

• 79 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:11 PM

No way! I live like down the street from this coaster. My mom said she has been on it but it looks cool and I wish they could reopen it back up. Can't wait to see pictures of the model! Good luck.

~Intamin Thrill Rides~

1. Intimidator 305  2. Fury 325   3. Skyrush  4. Outlaw Run  5. El Toro  6. Banshee  7. Nitro  8. Magnum  9. Iron Rattler 10. Storm Runner

#4 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:41 PM

ok, i got the pictures sooner than i thought. ive gotten pretty far. i think the basic shape is right, but any problems you see, please point them out. again, sorry i dont have comparison pictures, just click on one of the links in my first post to see some.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Please comment

#5 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:44 PM

Ok looks great. There's a few bumps on the crests of the hills and they're a little flat (so is the lift's crest) but the overall shaping is good.

EDIT: V & VV - guys, he said it's a recreation of Screechin' Eagle. I have no clue how someone could miss that...

#6 Pyro

Pyro

mike and his mommy

• 2140 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:45 PM

Is this a recre? I think that the hills look a little flat. But if its a recre then I guess its fine.

#7 Tornadopr

Tornadopr

Spooffa's bff Jill

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:45 PM

You're doing really good, keep it up, and you should do a helix if you have enough speed

^ I love helixes!

Posted Image

Posted Image

[Tornadopr] Hey spooffa! What is the best kind of toast?

[Spooffa] I don't know, what is it?

[Tornadopr] Peanut Butter Toast!!!!!

#8 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:16 AM

Looks really smoth/well supported. Could we get a side view of the first drop?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^Thanks Steel^

1) Leviathan 2) Behemoth 3) Vortex 4) Sheikra 5) Kumba 6) Kraken 7) Montu 8) Manta 9) Dragon Fire 10) Gwazi

#9 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:32 AM

i finished another hill. next up, if you havent seen, is a slightly banked turn around. here are the pics, and i will try to get pictures of the hills, i think i fixed them so they're not flat but my camara's battery died. so here is what i have for now.

requested side view of drop
Posted Image
Posted Image

overview
Posted Image
Please Comment

#10 RidesByDaan

RidesByDaan

Entry Engineer

• 704 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:25 PM

nice very nice man looks realy good

#11 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:53 PM

The hills look much better. There's a small bump on the lift's crest right where the gears are...lookin good so far.

#12 lazor 22

lazor 22

Enter The Rage

• 5967 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:43 PM

It's getting pretty low and you still have a ways to get back. Sure you can make it?

LAZOR22SIG2.png
I305, El Toro, Goliath (SFoG), Time Machine, Talon, Apollo, Griffon, Georgia Scorcher, Nitro, Manta
Coaster Count: 77

#13 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:01 PM

Definitely add weight to your train. Heavier trains help a lot on hilly, out and back coasters. You're structure and track looks very good though. Maybe raise it up if the trains make it slightly faster.

And if you see any track bowing with the new train, just add more supports.

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#14 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:43 PM

^wow, thanks pki, i forgot my new train wasnt weighted. i added 16 pennies to each train and i was able to raise each hill a green rod. i will update pictures tomorrow.
Thanks for the comments guys!

#15 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:17 AM

Double post but an update. i didnt get much farther but i was able to raise each hill at least a green rod. so now i have a lot more speed left. (thanks pki) i also have some pictures of the crests, please let me know if you still think they are flat, i can go back and fix them. and finally i have a test video. enjoy and Please Comment

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

sorry, forgot test vids were not supposed to be posted

Edit: i am also trying to bank my turn around. the problem is it is only slightly banked and i dont know how exactly to do that. if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to say them.

#16 Thmz!

Thmz!

Rockercoaster

• 69 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:29 PM

Wow. It almost doesn't make the hills. Are your cars already weighted and lubed? Be carefull, because maybe later it won't make it anymore.

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.

90% of all teens would cry if Myspace or Facebook were destroyed. If you are one of the 10% that would sit and laugh put this in your signature

#17 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:15 PM

^i made them barely make it on purpose. i already weighted them, as i said in my post before. i think im gonna add just a little bit more to make the train go a little faster. i will update when i am done with the turn.

#18 Millcreek47

Millcreek47

BANNED

• 1186 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:55 PM

Looks Amazing!!!

I like the realism of the trains stalling at the top of the hill!

Posted Image
(Sig under construction)

-----XBL Gamertag - I were Speshul-----

Top 5: Time Machine, The Incredible Hulk, Goliath, Dueling Dragons, Georgia Scorcher

#19 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:14 PM

5 day bump. but just saying that i will try and post an update tomorrow since i cant play at my soccer game. i should get more work done because of the 3 day weekend, so look for an update.

#20 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:56 PM

update time! i didnt get that much farther. but here is the turn. i might update tomorrow again, depending how much work i get done.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
please comment

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fraggie