over banked turn turn woodie

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#21 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:16 PM

Shaping is OK. A few straight spots and bumps. not really that hard to pick out. But your support to track connections are really bad. In pic 5 the supports are really far from the structure. I would be suprised if the whild thing fell over because of the weak supports. also what is up with your weights. They look weird. You said to be harsh and i felt some people wern't harsh enough.

I definitely saw the bumps and sharps on the track even before the update happened so thank you! And the supports, they are super sturdy and don't shake when the car comes down the track, so yeah. Wanted to get in a test vid for you, but the front car brakes right before the pics were taken. Sorry...

Update! kinda...

I made the finished pullout and that's about it. OH! I fixed the straight spots and sharps as good as possible and I like how it turned out! PICS!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
even better best pic ever!
Posted Image

Comment to your hearts content! Next element, Overbank!

Posted Image

#22 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:28 PM

Looks amazing! But that support at the bottom looks weak. Is it strong?

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#23 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:25 AM

I like the supports, it reminds me of how I did them on Condor (the invert). I assume you will fix the bumpiness at the end, so everything looks great!

#24 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:41 AM

I see some bumps, but it looks great to me! I hope it won't shake that much.

Posted Image

#25 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:39 AM

Yes, that indeed looks great!
Go on!

#26 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

Harshly, I think your drop is wrong. It needs to be shorter and steeper. I wouldn't start 'swinging it' until the bottom of the drop.

Posted Image

Check out Big Bad Wolf

I would start the drop in the blue circle, move the support columns accordingly, increase the radius of the pull-out (1 red to the left should do). Maybe even add a 3rd column here:

Posted Image

Those trains are going to be heavy, not to mention free-moving. Do you know how many cars you want to use?

Non-harshly, I'm excited to see another suspended coaster being made. I love these things.

#27 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:59 AM

wow...

I see what you are saying, but the cars do swing slightly the whole way down the drop and look good. The drop i dont think will be changed, being that i am basing the coaster of Alpegiest's drop but mirrored to it, so i don't think i will change it. I am going for a whole new kind of suspended coaster being like a B&M-ish coaster, mixed with a suspended coaster. So no, i don't think i will change the drop unless a lot of people say otherwise. Thank you though! And finally, a test video.

Posted Image

#28 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:56 PM

Wow, those cars must've been sturdier than I thought...
Did they really survived that?!?!
It doesn't look really shaky, good job!
One think, basing a suspended coaster on a normal invert won't work;)

#29 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:00 PM

It really goes against the style of the classic suspended coasters. There's nothing wrong with the drop, technically speaking, it's just different. But if you want to keep it, then I won't object.

#30 rucdoc

rucdoc

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:53 PM

interesting idea, not much comment as I'm new at this but have you seen the avalanche when I read your thread title this is what sprung to mind. though the inverted idea would be interesting

No the four people standing behind you are not ninja's hired by me to kill you, those are two figments of your imagination, a glare spot from your light and a Jehova's wittness

#31 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:48 PM

Happy Thanksgiving!

I built half of the overbank and i like how it has turned out! PICS!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The only problem is speed, i for sure have enough to finish the overbank and any other elements that i will build, but i can definitely see that there will some speed issues when the ride is nearing the end. So my solution to the speed problems is this. In the layout i will fit a launch in there somewhere to actually make the ride look like a Bobsled track, since bobsledders run and then hop in the sled, i will simulate this with a launch into some turn or something. As for theming, i was thinking of putting a mountain on the track near the lift and drop section of the ride. Besides that, there will be some mock-up luge track sections and the lift supports will most likely be an old fashioned ski-lift styled. Something of that sorts...

Comment! Be Harsh!

P.S! Look at the first page to see the logo that i made for the ride!

Posted Image

#32 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:52 PM

As allways, it looks good, but I don't think that your overbank is banked enough.

Formally RK500

#33 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

The pullout is really elongated, but other than that it looks nice. I'm not too crazy about adding a launch though...sometimes you just have to accept that your speed is limited.

#34 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:20 PM

^neither am I. Maybe instead of a lift hill, you could have a launch to simulate a bobsled effect. I also want to second a change to the drop. it doesn't seem like the suspended effect is taking place enough. Also the overbanked is not overbanked.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#35 love4kanex

love4kanex

Architect

• 334 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:22 PM

I like the drop the way it is, it's original and different. Isn't that what knex is about? If you constantly base stuff off what has all ready been made, it's impossible to come up with new things, such as elements.

I say leave the drop.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Coaster Count: 36

Knex Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/love4knex

New channel with funny videos:
http://www.youtube.c...ideosandstuff11

#36 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:31 AM

^neither am I. Maybe instead of a lift hill, you could have a launch to simulate a bobsled effect. I also want to second a change to the drop. it doesn't seem like the suspended effect is taking place enough. Also the overbanked is not overbanked.

Wait... what did you just say?

Originally posted by Jumpge: So my solution to the speed problems is this. In the layout i will fit a launch in there somewhere to actually make the ride look like a Bobsled track, since bobsledders run and then hop in the sled, i will simulate this with a launch into some turn or something.
Originally posted by Steelspectrum:I'm not too crazy about adding a launch though...
Originally posted by Blackkitty:^neither am I. Maybe instead of a lift hill, you could have a launch to simulate a bobsled effect.

LOWUT!? Isn't that what i said in my post? Whatever... I think i will add the launch, and as for the drop, i like it myself and would not want to ruin it with the boring turnaround and then the downwards boring drop. I feel this is really nice and it has some pzazz to it. Its original and neat looking so I'm sticking with it.

I like the drop the way it is, it's original and different. Isn't that what knex is about? If you constantly base stuff off what has all ready been made, it's impossible to come up with new things, such as elements.

I say leave the drop.

Thank you for understanding this! And i do agree with what you are saying about my ride.

Posted Image

#37 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:51 AM

man this is pretty cool, and totally original, but i agree that the overbanked is not overbanked. too bad that big bad wolf shut down. it was sort of a prototype u know? iguess that protos dont have a long life. *sigh*

#38 Sniggeh

Sniggeh

Lead Engineer

• 1511 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:31 PM

^Are you kidding me? BBW was operating for 25 years! This is a prototype.

Anyways, this is looking great so far! The only thing that I can say is that there is a straight spot right underneath the lift. At that vally, it's too drawn out. Fix that and it'll be perfect!

Posted Image

#39 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:37 PM

UGH!

I am now realizing that the coaster's overbank was really not an overbank, but an elongated turning pullout. There needs to be change to it to make it look more like this overbank thing. It is not thins right now, but it looks horrible and shakes way to much! Pics and a test.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Smooth transitions on the lower left corner
Posted Image

Surprisingly, i removed the support on the drop, and it doesn't shake! Its as good as it was with the support! And as for the drop, I'm keeping it because look at this Arrow Suspended coaster. I coudl also make the overbank higher if i need to with the speed i have and that's exactly what i intend to do.

Please help me out! COMMENT!

Posted Image

#40 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:50 PM

Ok so about the launch/ lift. What I was trying to say is that completly take apart the lift hill and turn it into a launch. So only 1 propuslion system. You definatly don't need another turbine.
Now. You say that its not shaking??? that thing shakes like jello!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: over banked turn, turn, woodie