over banked turn turn woodie

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#41 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:43 PM

I see two things wrong. One- the overbank supports don't have a base plate, and two- it shakes like jello. I think that you should put two 45* supports on the supports holding up the overbank. (One per tower; each facing the outside of the overbank) It would be cool if the angled together in the middle of the overbank so they made a "/\" shape!

Formally RK500

#42 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:54 PM

It does not shake to bad. And just keep messing around with it to get the right shaping.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#43 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:27 PM

I feel that making connections among different support towers really helps when it comes to shaking, I apologize if you already do, I am just assuming there are not enough.

As for the drop and overbank, I like it. It's original and creative. I think you should make the overbank much taller though, capitialize on your speed man.

If you want a launch, put a launch in. I think it would be cool to see and would definitely show off a more creative flavor flav. Good work so far man... keep it up.

Check out my blog: Life Is A Roller Coaster

(Coaster count: 504)

Blitzen Cyber Chase Prowler Tuscarora Ra: God of Sun Jersey Thunder Phoenix La Bestia Ripsaw

#44 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:24 AM

I am now realizing that the coaster's overbank was really not an overbank, but an elongated turning pullout. There needs to be change to it to make it look more like this overbank thing.

Your overbank is too wide. shrink it down:

Posted Image

As for speed, look at this again. There's a reason there are so many supports.

Posted Image

Try beefing up the white arrow and connect the blue arrow to the floor.

I agree with Knexrule11, just keep messing around with it. This has potential to be a really sweet suspended coaster.

#45 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

I feel that making connections among different support towers really helps when it comes to shaking, I apologize if you already do, I am just assuming there are not enough.

As for the drop and overbank, I like it. It's original and creative. I think you should make the overbank much taller though, capitialize on your speed man.

If you want a launch, put a launch in. I think it would be cool to see and would definitely show off a more creative flavor flav. Good work so far man... keep it up.

Hey man, thanks a lot! I really want to keep the creative flow on this ride and base it off the original suspended coasters that are out there. I am considering putting a launch in it, but i could do something else or whatever, but we will cross that bridge when we get to it. Thanks again!

Your overbank is too wide. shrink it down:

Posted Image

As for speed, look at this again. There's a reason there are so many supports. Try beefing up the white arrow and connect the blue arrow to the floor.

I agree with Knexrule11, just keep messing around with it. This has potential to be a really sweet suspended coaster.

Thank you so much! I want to keep the original flavor in there and keep this a cool ride. Will mess around with ti for a while.

Posted Image

#46 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:00 PM

I actually have changed the layout a lot throughout this time because you guys said that it would be better to do a pre drop, so i did, basing it off of The Big Bad Wolf's first thing. Here are the current rides pics.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

So, that's about all, just gonna make the turning drop thing now, so yeah. Is the pull in to small? Only concern as of now...

Posted Image

#47 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:31 PM

Aw...... Now I have to wait again to get past the boring part. :( It looks good!

And why is your Rip-Stick pink? Do you a sister or something?

Formally RK500

#48 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:48 PM

WHY?! I liked the other one alot. Nothing I can say so far.

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu

#49 BGEurope Kid

BGEurope Kid

Architect

• 476 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:25 PM

Looks pretty good to me and just to let you know, that's Big Bad Wolf's last part.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#50 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:07 PM

Hey!!! glad to see a suspended coaster! I have experience, so I can help. Suspended coasters are hard to make, you don't choose where they go, the cars do. Also, this might be shocking, but weight on suspended cars slows them down. Check out my coaster Eagle Eye, you'll find it in the 7th page of the construction forums. If you have any questions about keeping speed, just ask me. It is a ton different than building any other coaster.

#51 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:40 PM

Aw...... Now I have to wait again to get past the boring part

Suspended coasters are never boring... except Iron Dragon.

Also, I cannot agree more with apal. Suspended coasters are extremely strange and often times difficult to work with. I've only built them in RCT, but I'm a big fan of the Arrow Suspended.

Just keep in mind that your trains are some of the heaviest of any coaster, and 'controlling' them can be a problem. And, as apal said, the direction of your track is going to depend greatly on what your cars are doing, so keep an eye on them. There are ways to control the swinging, and this picture shows two good examples.

The first, are the yellow shock absorbers. Those act as a sort of 'counter-weight' by dampening the swinging.
Secondly, notice the track. Traditional coasters use a 'heartline' thingy for banking and stuff. For an Arrow Suspended coaster, that 'heartline' actually sits above the track (if that makes any sense). Just something to wrap your head around.

Well, now that I've said this much, I might as well rant some more about how these rides haven't been made in almost 20 years, so I'd be really interested in seeing a good combination of modern elements implemented into your layout. Any coaster with free-moving trains are cool in my book.

Once again, I wish you the best of luck with this build.

#52 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:39 AM

^ I totally agree, on the part about controlling the cars (but Iron Dragon is really boring too). You can see in this picture that I'm using a rubber band to damper the swinging a little. So far it's helping a ton!
I'd also suggest that you remove the weights from your cars, if you haven't already. Since more of your momentum is centered in the cars, that also means that more speed is lost when the cars swing.

#53 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:17 PM

^ I totally agree, on the part about controlling the cars (but Iron Dragon is really boring too). You can see in this picture that I'm using a rubber band to damper the swinging a little. So far it's helping a ton!
I'd also suggest that you remove the weights from your cars, if you haven't already. Since more of your momentum is centered in the cars, that also means that more speed is lost when the cars swing.

I have taken most of the weights off of the cars & i have put on the rubber bands to make the cars less swingy. So yeah...

Quick update since I'm not snowboarding. I have made the drop, and i have my Lego NXT, so i will make the auto station... pics

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

so my only concern now is the turn. When should i start banking the drop to make the turn be like The Big Bad Wolf's?

Comment!

Posted Image

#54 CCC

CCC

ChristianCoasterCreator

• 231 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:20 PM

Looks like there is a straight spot in the drop other than that it looks good.

Coasters Are My Hobby
Jesus Is My Life

Posted Image

My YouTube Page

#55 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:47 PM

I think you should bank the pre-drop! It would be really cool to have the cars swinging as you drop. Also I dissagree CCC, the drop is not straight enough, Look at BBW's it is really straight. And Jumpge you should make the drop similar to BBW's second drop that would be nice.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#56 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

^ Its a suspended coaster....... If you add banking, its not going to change a thing.

I don't really like how it does a huge drop right away. But other then that, there's nothing wrong.

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png

#57 Sniggeh

Sniggeh

Lead Engineer

• 1511 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:45 PM

You should make the drop extrodinarly straight like ^^ said. Also, i agree with ^, you should make a drop about half the way down. Just an opinion, though.

Posted Image

#58 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:08 PM

Not bad, if you can you should try to recycle part of your drop as the first element, it looked great.

Also: Bobsled - SSCoasters Rides Database

#59 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:34 AM

When should i start banking the drop to make the turn be like The Big Bad Wolf's?

Around here:
Posted Image

I like the new drop, it looks stronger, and should give you more speed (especially with the new rubber band things).

#60 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

I built the curve first, and then i saw your post Stig and realized i was right on and i think it looks pretty good!

Well, long time no update but i have been more concerned about other things in life like Luge, snowboarding, and my new Lego Mindstorms NXT! So i have made the turn, and i have a general idea where I'm gonna go from here. I think the track has some bumpy sections so tell me where they are. Pics.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

That is about all. The station is coming along nicely and i hope to make this themed well! The station will have auto gates (better than Hoki Poki's) and be really nice.

Comment!

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: over banked turn, turn, woodie