33 replies to this topic

#1 pǝʇɹǝʌuı

pǝʇɹǝʌuı

I am a cat

• 202 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

What Could this be?

Posted Image

Sub-0 is a new roller coaster I am creating. You might be wondering why in the antarctic I'm making a roller coaster about really cold temperatures in the summer. So am I. Just go with it.

#2 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

Could it be an awesome coaster?

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#3 imakecoasters

imakecoasters

2X "Most Entertaining"

• 3797 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

You might be wondering why in the antarctic I'm making a roller coaster about really cold temperatures in the summer. So am I. Just go with it.

But isn't it winter in Antarcitca? (rolleyes)

It looks good. Is that the best camera you have? It's kinda bad quality but oh well. Whatever works.

-IMC-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 pǝʇɹǝʌuı

pǝʇɹǝʌuı

I am a cat

• 202 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

^Lol good point. No that is not the best camera I have, that is just my computer webcam. I was just in need of a quick photo and my family just moved into a new house so I don't know where anything is.
^^Yes it will be awesome, but what type of coaster is it? I'll take a few more guesses.

#5 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

My bet is on a Wingrider!

#6 pǝʇɹǝʌuı

pǝʇɹǝʌuı

I am a cat

• 202 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

Ding Ding!! Congratulations to RNB, you get a virtual pat on the back. Anyway, I have created some custom Wingrider cars and am very excited and hopeful that they will perform well. Here is a picture, sorry for the crappy computer webcam but I can't find my camera because we just moved into this house.
Posted Image

#7 pǝʇɹǝʌuı

pǝʇɹǝʌuı

I am a cat

• 202 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

Unfortunately I am currently on vacation until the end of next week. This has been my first connection to the internet since Wednesday. Before I left I finished a zero-g roll but I was rushed out the door and could not get pictures. Anyway, I think what I have is the best I have ever built and I am excited to get back and finish this thing.

#8 Guest_321_*

Guest_321_*

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

Can't wait to see the 0g! :)

#9 pǝʇɹǝʌuı

pǝʇɹǝʌuı

I am a cat

• 202 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

I am Back! And I have pictures. I found my camera so hopefully they turn out better.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I feel like the Zero-G has nice shape but is not very smooth. This IS my fourth roller coaster and my first in at least 3 years, but still I would like to make this smooth. What are some tips just to straight up smooth out the track? Also, what are your tips to get more views? And, before I make any claims, is this, in fact, the first wingrider?

#10 finrollercoaste09

finrollercoaste09

Comming soon Typhoon X!!!

• 316 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

Yeah, the shaping is good, just smooth that what you say :)

#11 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

It's hard to explain how to make something smooth. Basically look for anything that resembles something that changes the direction of the train in an unnatural way, and adjust it until the track flows in a natural way.

#12 finrollercoaste09

finrollercoaste09

• 316 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:55 AM

Can you take a sideview picture of zero-g?

#13 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

Looks sharp at the top, try adding supports at 90 degrees that hold the zero g up somewhat.
P.S. What pets do you have in the terrariums? I have hermit crabs... most boring pets ever.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#14 pǝʇɹǝʌuı

pǝʇɹǝʌuı

I am a cat

• 202 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

^^Unfortunately no. The roller coaster is in my room and I have very limited space. I would have to move the coaster to get a side shot.
^I have snakes. I'll leave it at that.

Anyway, I am having trouble with speed. I built an overbanked curve that is 2.5 light grey rods tall and the train cannot make it. I was wondering what the problem is and what I can do to fix it. Is it because my 0g is short (3 light grey rods--the roller coaster is 5) ? Here is a pic I know it is blurry but it is the best I could do for last night.
Posted Image

#15 finrollercoaste09

finrollercoaste09

• 316 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

We need a test video to see how much speed you have there, because when I see the speed, I can say if you need to make zero-g higher. So please take a side view picture of zero-g and take a test video.

#16 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

Think of it like this, does your zero G roll resemble a real zero G roll? Would a real zero G roll have that kink at the beginning of it? And would that zero G roll be comfortable to ride in real life? Take the train and slowly push the train through the element. If it makes any sudden movements, then it's probably bumpy. Hope this helps you. ;)

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#17 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

Looks ok so far, but I'd like to comment. What ^ said is good advice. As the coach goes through the element, you want a nice smooth 360* roll that is concentrated at the top portion of the "hill". In other words, the majority of the banking occurs in the top half of the element, where the coach would slow down slightly but also be at zero gravity, thus the name zero-g roll. Zero g's are also heartlined so that the rider's chest will be following a nice perfect sine wave. Thus the top part of the element on a ride that's not inverted will be slightly "kinked" at the top. Just study a bunch of b+ m non-inverted zero-g's and you'll see what I mean. Hope this helps.

-CD33

Posted Image

#18 pǝʇɹǝʌuı

pǝʇɹǝʌuı

I am a cat

• 202 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

Posted Image

I'm really sorry for the poor quality but I can't find my camera charger. Half my house is still in boxes, so dont get the wrong idea about me. Anyway hopefully this video will be sufficient so you can get a good idea of the speed. I think I'll redo my zero-g anyway because it banks really early. I did smoothen it out so there are not as many kinks in it but I also think I should try making it taller because the train travels through it pretty fast.

#19 pǝʇɹǝʌuı

pǝʇɹǝʌuı

I am a cat

• 202 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys! Anyway, I have completely demolished

the 0g and the overbank and rebuilt the 0g about one granite taller and pulled it out into a curve over the lift hill.

Please excuse my photography skills
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I know I have a little smoothing to do, but the train barely makes the new 0g. I hope to pull it into a corkscrew but I am concerned I will be at a loss for speed again. Do you guys like the shape? Do you find this element awkward at all? Comment and tell me what you think. I want this ride to be memorable, not only to me, but to SSCoasters as the first wingrider.

#20 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

The banking isn't smooth, your supports also look really weak.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: custom car, sub-0, wing rider, wingrider, x flight