dorney park laser (recreation)

flatride mondial tower wind seeker windseeker

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 rotccapt

rotccapt

• 108 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:52 PM

hi guys well after viper had a 5 year old Godzilla attack i had to cancel it. so i have decided to restart laser that used to be at Dorney park. so my plan was to build it using the full 7 cars but i think that will be extremely long so i think im going to go with 5 or 6. so far i have the lift hill complete with chain lift. the top of the lift is about 10 granites high.

next up is the station run and chain so i can figure out how to position the coaster so it will fit in the room. its amazing how fast you run out of room with these things.

on a side note to prevent future Godzilla attacks the new coaster room has a lock so he cant get in. lol

so how does it look?

Posted Image

#2 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:56 AM

I love the lift its really good and so are the tubes! Anyway good luck with the build and good luck with that 5 year old Godzilla! :D

#3 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:49 AM

Everything looks really neat and sturdy, especially the supports and the backbone.

Posted Image

#4 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:04 AM

Looks to be very clean and the crest looks pretty smooth right now to me. Just watch out for that upward helix after the double loop. They can be notoriously difficult.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#5 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

Looks great so far keep it up dude!

#6 rotccapt

rotccapt

• 108 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

this is by far the sturdiest lift i have ever made and defiantly the cleanest. so should i run 5 or 6 cars?

#7 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

I find that 6 cars will go further but only if the supports are strong enough to withstand the extra weight of the train. As I just found out, 7 cars is hard on a tube supported coaster to get without severe shaking. It depends on what you can do with your pieces. If you feel you have enough to build supports for a 6 car train go ahead, but if you don't feel confident with that for the pieces you have then 5 cars will probably be sufficient.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#8 rotccapt

rotccapt

• 108 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

well i think it will be 5 cars then. although the first 3 will be weighted with about 3 ounces each

#9 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

I can't help but notice it's not entirely straight. Have you noticed that yourself, too?

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#10 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

The lift definitely has to be straightened. Another problem is the crest goes down too much when it shouldn't.

#11 rotccapt

rotccapt

• 108 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

yea i noticed it and have fixed that. the supports were not exactly the right length but i was able to shrink them down a bit and not the lift is strait

#12 rotccapt

rotccapt

• 108 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

well got a little bit more work done today. i have the turn into the station mocked up and i also started on the drop. as it sits right now i have enough pre drop that i should not need a rear chain dog but i might need one to get the train onto the lift unless i do a tire drive which i might do we will see.

how does it look?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 MuddyFingers12

MuddyFingers12

Construction Foreman

• 106 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

It lookes great! Try not to run out of parts or move on to a fault line ;)

#14 rotccapt

rotccapt

• 108 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

hi guys i know it has been awaile. just got back from a three week trip to see may parents and some other family. well i have some great news i should not have a problem running out of pieces this time around. while at may parents house i was able to bring home all my k'nex that i had when i was growing up so now on top of the 5 or so ss kits i have now i also have all the parts from a "power tower crane" , "Big Blue box" and several other assorted kits. more to come as i get time to work on the project

Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 rotccapt

rotccapt

• 108 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:53 AM

well i finally got some work done on this coaster. so far i have the drop ruffed out i still need to work on some shaping but what do you guys think of the overall look of the drop? for my first realy tube coaster im happy to say this is turning out to be a somewhat rigid design we will see how it goes.

i am toying with redoing the track now that i have the supports all done to see if i can fix some of the sharp spots

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#16 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:14 AM

The drop itself looks pretty good but I think it turns a bit too much. Looking at a lot of pictures, it seems quite sharp going into the loop. But not a bad attempt at what is a very difficult drop to get right. A few more pictures might also be helpful.

Tyndrum

#17 soggyhotdoggg

soggyhotdoggg

Architect

• 605 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

This looks really nice, but your middle lift support is bending like crazy.

#18 rotccapt

rotccapt

• 108 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

This looks really nice, but your middle lift support is bending like crazy.

yea i know since the coaster sat for about a month it settled some and i just need to bend it back and add another brace to stop that.

its odd when i posted that pic there were supposed to be two others well here they are

Posted Image

i have changed the crest a little from this pic i took some of the predrop out so it is more of a strait shot coming off the chain

Posted Image

Edited by rotccapt, 17 July 2013 - 08:42 AM.

#19 rotccapt

rotccapt

• 108 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

got a little bit more done. im starting on the first of the two loops. my plan is to build them just tall enough to keep lots of speed through the loop so i can get through the upward helix. my current loop is too small i will need to make it bigger but i like the design for the support what do you guys think?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#20 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

Nice support I would definetaly use it

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flatride, mondial, tower, wind seeker, windseeker