buying knex coasters knex coaster sets

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

I've been working on the launch on/off for the past two weeks, so now I can finally start the coaster.

Posted Image

I've always loved update videos, so I decided to do one. However, I'm not a fan of the way that they look when they're posted, so here's the link to it:
Inverted Launched Coaster Update 1 - YouTube

Cheers!

Posted Image

#2 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

You are one talented moefoe. That thing is fantastic! What elements/style are you thinking of? Another thing I'm wondering...how does the string not hang down from the track? Is it that taught?

Fury325|MF|Maverick|Shambhala|TTD|El Toro|Diamondback|Griffon|Valravn|Boulder Dash|Leviathan 

Coaster Count: 215

#3 mitch

mitch

i hate hybrid coasters

• 113 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

it looks like maarten12's cable launch. Is this going to be automatic.

Posted Image

#4 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

You'll definitely be able to automate it. And I love how you said "Easy to automate". I'm excited for the mess of tubes. I think it'll look really awesome. Great launch as it is now.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#5 NFC

NFC

Construction Foreman

• 148 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

Are you always going to use the NXT for automation? I think it would be a great challenge to make an auto resetting launch with no NXT or any electronic computer.

#6 CowmanBearPig

CowmanBearPig

In The begining....

• 533 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

That looks incredible! Is NXT worth the Investment? I've been looking into buying it for a while, I just never have. Anyway, the speed looks incredible and I really enjoyed your video!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Current Project

Launched Coaster

#7 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

Yay two of my favorite coaster types combined (planning on doing something like that later on ;))! The update video was cool and I really like the launch! I can't wait to see what's next!

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#8 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

I can't wait to see how this turns out. I've missed your automation, too. It's like you took a break from it for a while. Thanks for teaching me the proper way to pronounce Maarten's name.

#9 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

That awesome! I hope you use tube supports because I personally don't really like the look of inverted coasters with boxes. This will be really cool once its automated!

#10 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:17 AM

Awesome! I thought about building an inverted launch coaster two years ago, but I never started, so I am glad you are doing it now. Everything looks really solid and reliable, good job!

Posted Image

#11 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:28 PM

That's awesome how do you build this launches jesh and what grade are u in too btw.

#12 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

I finally got around to updating. I built a low to the ground turn followed by an immelmann.

Overview
Posted Image

Low Turn
Posted Image
Posted Image

Immelmann thing
Posted Image
Posted Image

Extra shot for yall'
Posted Image

I'm not really sure what I think of the immelmann's shaping, so I'm totally up for feedback on it. When I was building it, I just sort of... went for it. I don't really know what I'm feeling about it, but I know it can be improved. I'll be messing around with the shaping as you guys post comments, so I'll update you guys when I feel confident about it.
-Jump

Posted Image

#13 RidesByDaan

RidesByDaan

Entry Engineer

• 704 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

That has got to be one damn fast launch!

#14 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

That has got to be one damn fast launch!

And that turn would definitely pull some high G's if it were in real life. So far you're spot on with the immelmann I guess. Inversions on an invert always seem to be harder in my opinion.

Posted Image

#15 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

I feel like the low turn should be a bit wider, because now it looks too small compared to the size of the immelman. The first low turn on Tron: the ride by Steelspectrum, the coaster that inspired you to go for a lay-out like this, has a bigger radius than what you have now. Making it only a grey wider would already make a lot of difference for maintaining speed and how the turn looks. Your supports look solid as rock though, good work on that! I hope this helps to fix the shaping of the immelman:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 ZachCreate

ZachCreate

i am very exciting...

• 343 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

Wow that is so awesome!
Also, Helmut, what coaster is that? At first, I thought it was silver bullet and then I saw the background... But then, I live in San Diego California, so what do you expect? :D

1. Maverick 2. Millennium Force 3.Top Thrill Dragster 4. Bizarro (Six Flags New England) 5. The Beast 6. X2 7. Full Throttle 8. Banshee 9. Xcelerator 10. Medusa (Six Flags Discovery Kingdom)

Posted Image

#17 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

I can't wait to see how this turns out. I've missed your automation, too. It's like you took a break from it for a while. Thanks for teaching me the proper way to pronounce Maarten's name.

I forgot to reply to this last time I update! I did take a break for a while, so I'm excited to get back into it. As for pronunciation of Maarten's name, I just sorta wing it each time I say it. When I was in Holland, I sorta put everyone to shame with my stab at Dutch pronunciation.

I redid the immelmann and feel a whole lot more confident about its shaping. I also built my first tube supports! Overall, I'm pretty excited about the result for my first serious tubes. I've also discovered that they are impressively fun to build with.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I think you guys are going to like the next update. It's where I'm gonna throw the usual "Jumpge style" you can expect during each update out the door.
I'm pretty excited to take a new direction in my building style. It's time to switch it up.

Edited by Jumpge, 13 October 2013 - 09:24 PM.

Posted Image

#18 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

Its looking good! How are you liking tubes? There fun, but very hard to use. (Tubes; use responsibly)

#19 ZachCreate

ZachCreate

i am very exciting...

• 343 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

Wow! A test video would be epic! This looks like it could be one of the greatest coasters of all time! :D

1. Maverick 2. Millennium Force 3.Top Thrill Dragster 4. Bizarro (Six Flags New England) 5. The Beast 6. X2 7. Full Throttle 8. Banshee 9. Xcelerator 10. Medusa (Six Flags Discovery Kingdom)

Posted Image

#20 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

The coaster in my reference picture is Talon at Dorney Park.

Looks pretty good to me! Have you ever considered replacing the boxes on the immelman by tubes? I know you will probably need this structure because of the insane speed the train has, but this was just some out-of-the-box thinking.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: buying knex coasters, knex coaster sets