buying knex coasters knex coaster sets

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

This goes great with the trap Im listening to right now, yeah, ots that awesome...

Is that Jaberwocky in the corner of the 4th pic? What happened to it?

#22 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:59 PM

^I was thinking the same thing. I love the way Norwegian loops look, and this one is very cool. I also like how this was started in the somewhat middle of the layout, because it is fun too see which direction the coaster progresses.

#23 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:48 AM

The Norwegian Loop looks awesome! Great shaping and solid supporting. I am curious to see which element you will be building next. ;)

Posted Image

#24 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

Good job with the update Stigette =)

Is that Jaberwocky in the corner of the 4th pic? What happened to it?

Yes. It got cancelled. I haven't completely taken it apart yet, I just removed sections and stacked them in a corner.

I also like how this was started in the somewhat middle of the layout, because it is fun too see which direction the coaster progresses.

The Norwegian Loop kinda HAD to be just the right ratio with the placement of the curves and whatnot. That's why I built it first. The rest of the layout should be a little more flexible in case I need to modify any of it.

The Norwegian Loop looks awesome! Great shaping and solid supporting. I am curious to see which element you will be building next. ;)

Helmut likes my shaping? Nice.
I think a few of you are going to recognize a likeness in the layout after the next (previous?) element.... Minus the Stengel..... And a lot smaller ;)
One might say that my previous layout ideas haven't been Scrapped.

Well, if you do end up needing a launch mechanism, I have built a launch that can go over a 4ft top hat very easily.

I've seen it. And I like it a lot. My design will look very similar and work in the same way.
I've had the idea of installing a sort of pulley system with the rubber bands attached to the bottom. I think I might be able to incorporate some.... dare I say..... automation.
You should make that tutorial anyway. It wouldn't just be helping me out, you'd be contributing to the entire community. And the staff really like that sort of thing ;)

Edited by The Stig, 28 April 2014 - 12:20 PM.

#25 crazyracer

crazyracer

Architect

• 550 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

wowow great Job I know I ask this alot but can someone explain step by step how to post construction threads thanks.

K`nex always for life ;)

#26 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

I saw this and I was all O.O
Its sooooo beautiful!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#27 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

That is a fantastic Norwegian. It might even be the best one I've seen on this site.

#28 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

"One might say that my previous layout ideas haven't been Scrapped"

I see what you did there ;)

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#29 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

The next (previous?) element is shaping up.
Pictures were taken with my phone.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by The Stig, 12 May 2014 - 02:21 PM.

#30 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

It could be placed back more, but I think it looks fine. Now that I see that element, you might only be able to use 2 or even 1 carts. But, I think if you use the perfect amount of strength in rubber bands, you can pull this off with my launch.

Signature not available 

#31 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:23 PM

I wanted Nefeskesen but I got Stealth >_<

#32 CowmanBearPig

CowmanBearPig

In The begining....

• 533 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

I see what you were saying about the top hat. Are you planning on leaving it as it is or expanding it?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Current Project

Launched Coaster

#33 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

I see what you were saying about the top hat. Are you planning on leaving it as it is or expanding it?

I was comparing Top Hats today. I think I could get the shape that I really want if I spread the legs a little further apart and stretch the pullout back another couple of boxes. Good news is, the crest looks fantastic!

Edited by The Stig, 12 May 2014 - 05:23 PM.

#34 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:48 PM

It seems that the train will fly through that N loop, even with the bad VV speed loss.

#35 CoasterWarriorUnlessSleeping

CoasterWarriorUnlessSleeping

loves the new acronym

• 121 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

How sturdy are the micro boxes? Do they shake at all, or are they pretty solid? I think they look really good. I'm kinda excited to see what the top hat box supports will look like.

#36 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

That looks great. I like how you built this section backwards, ensuring that you'll have speed for the beautiful Norwegian Loop.

Posted Image

#37 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:02 PM

First thought was that it was a Eurofighter but the idea of a launch seems so much better.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#38 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:53 AM

The shaping of the transition out of the loop is purrfect. That's great work for a beginner! I can't wait to see the rest of this, nice work Stig and Stigette! Also I loved the doge reference ;-)

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#39 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:27 AM

With all the speed loss on VV coasters, it is very smart to build this coaster backwards. Otherwise you would have had a very small Norwegian Loop now. Good work!

Posted Image

#40 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

It could be placed back more, but I think it looks fine. Now that I see that element, you might only be able to use 2 or even 1 carts. But, I think if you use the perfect amount of strength in rubber bands, you can pull this off with my launch.

The pullout is going to get larger and the "feet" will be spaced apart more.

It seems that the train will fly through that N loop, even with the bad VV speed loss.

With the way it's set up now, the speed at the crest of the top hat matches the speed of the crest of the N.Loop.

How sturdy are the micro boxes? Do they shake at all, or are they pretty solid? I think they look really good. I'm kinda excited to see what the top hat box supports will look like.

Micro boxes are very sturdy. And they're a lot of fun to build with.

That looks great. I like how you built this section backwards, ensuring that you'll have speed for the beautiful Norwegian Loop.

Thanks. And yes, I wanted to ensure the car would make the circuit.

First thought was that it was a Eurofighter but the idea of a launch seems so much better.

I think so too. I wanted something bigger than a Eurofighter.

The shaping of the transition out of the loop is purrfect. That's great work for a beginner! I can't wait to see the rest of this, nice work Stig and Stigette! Also I loved the doge reference ;-)

Thank mew.

With all the speed loss on VV coasters, it is very smart to build this coaster backwards. Otherwise you would have had a very small Norwegian Loop now. Good work!

The shape of the Norwegian Loop all depended on the shaping I could get out of the curved track pieces. Everything about this ride is built around those twists.

It's time for an update. And I'm rather proud of this one ;) I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Shoop Da Waunch! It's a Launch!
This launch was based HEAVILY off of maarten12's design, so big thanks to maarten for posting the tutorial. The trick here was finding the right pieces for the launch dog guide, which, as it turns out, are all discontinued pieces from the original VV set. The second challenge was mounting the track at just the right elevation so the wheels would be in the right spot. It took a lot of spacers to make it happen, but it works.

That being said, there are a few problems I've encountered with the launch: Firstly, I'd like to think of a way to speed up the winding process. It takes a good minute to completely wind up the launch. Secondly, the launch dog has a habit of coming apart sometimes. I think I'll have to melt the pieces more to fix that.

And finally, I leave you with a video of the complete launch process in action :)

Edited by The Stig, 29 June 2014 - 08:19 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: buying knex coasters, knex coaster sets