buying knex coasters knex coaster sets

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#21 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

Wait, what?! Tube supports? I guess these are the biggest you have ever build so far, haha :). Anyways, I'm interested in the lay out, seems like you're having some great plans.

Posted Image

#22 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

Wait... Jumpge using TUBES?! *Prepares for the epicness of the next update*

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#23 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

Could you do a lose up on the tubes for me? I'm curious how you make them to some other builders.
This is looking very nice and smooth even without tubing on. I can't wait what you do with it now!

#24 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

Its looking good! How are you liking tubes? There fun, but very hard to use. (Tubes; use responsibly)

I really enjoy them! They are tons of fun to build with.

Wow! A test video would be epic! This looks like it could be one of the greatest coasters of all time! :D

Sometime in the future I will upload one. I'm just waiting to choose a good spot to give you guys one.

The coaster in my reference picture is Talon at Dorney Park.

Looks pretty good to me! Have you ever considered replacing the boxes on the immelman by tubes? I know you will probably need this structure because of the insane speed the train has, but this was just some out-of-the-box thinking.

Again, that reference picture helped so much. I've considered taking the boxes off, but I think that's a place that I'd rather not mess around with in regards to speed. And haha, great joke.

Wait, what?! Tube supports? I guess these are the biggest you have ever build so far, haha :). Anyways, I'm interested in the lay out, seems like you're having some great plans.

These tubes are definitely the largest ones I've worked with. I think I'll have fun with the layout. :)

Wait... Jumpge using TUBES?! *Prepares for the epicness of the next update*

I hope you enjoy the update! :)

Could you do a lose up on the tubes for me? I'm curious how you make them to some other builders.
This is looking very nice and smooth even without tubing on. I can't wait what you do with it now!

I tried to get some nice shots of the tubes for ya, but no super close-up ones. Sorry bout that.

Heart line time.
Posted Image

(this overview shot took about 15 times to get right...)
Posted Image

The roll
Posted Image
Posted Image

POV (the heart-lining still needs some work)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Up next is a Nemesis-styled high speed helix/turn of maximum g-forces. I have to move the coaster around a bit in order to build the element due to the fact that what I've already built barely fits in the room. Regardless, it will be fun to build.

Oh yeah, if you haven't figured it out yet, this coaster is inspired by Volcano: The Blast Coaster.

Edited by Jumpge, 22 October 2013 - 03:13 PM.

Posted Image

#25 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

I see where you are going ;). So far you're doing great on the tubes, and just like you said the heartlining needs some work.
On another note, I was taking a closer look at the launch. I realized that with an inverted launch you might come across some problems which you don't have with a sitdown, for example isn't the catch car rubbing on the train when it leaves the launch?

Posted Image

#26 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:16 AM

If there is something to criticize... I find your tubes too skinny for my liking. If you could, please use more rods in there.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#27 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

If there is something to criticize... I find your tubes too skinny for my liking. If you could, please use more rods in there.

No Jochem, one can CHOOSE which type of tubes to use. ;)

I like where this is going. Change the heartlining and you'll be fine.

Posted Image

#28 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

Haha, I remember that post from Savage. :)

I wasn't expecting a heart line roll. I thought for sure you'd do a Sea Serpent. I like the roll much better, though.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#29 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

Whoa! I love it! Just do the heart lining thing and pie yow!

#30 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

I really like it when the best builders can continue to surprise. It shows you're still improving, even though your skills are top notch. You already mentioned the heartling (which is fantastic for the most part), and everything else looks phenomenal. Very ambitious, and you're pulling it off really well.

#31 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

No Jochem, one can CHOOSE which type of tubes to use.

Hey smart ass, I posted my opinion. I FIND these tubes skinny. Get off of my back.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#32 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

Please tell me you're not legitimately pissed. You seem to be.

#33 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

This coaster is looking great! I do have to agree with Gump though, if possible you should beef up those tubes.

Posted Image

#34 ZachCreate

ZachCreate

i am very exciting...

• 343 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

I really don't have anything against the tubes except what on earth is with the weird barrel roll thing where in real life it would injure or just hurt you. Also, what is that element's name. :D

1. Maverick 2. Millennium Force 3.Top Thrill Dragster 4. Bizarro (Six Flags New England) 5. The Beast 6. X2 7. Full Throttle 8. Banshee 9. Xcelerator 10. Medusa (Six Flags Discovery Kingdom)

Posted Image

#35 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

There's hardly any forces through that element, so I think 4-rod tubes are strong enough. It looks much better to use 8 rods, but it's only for aesthetic reasons.

#36 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

If the track doesn't shake I could care less about the tube thickness. My only complaint is about the turn leading into the dive loop. I feel it is way too sharp/small for the speed the train has at that point, and compared to the rest of the coaster. I'd recommend doing something like this instead:
Posted Image

I doubt it would take a whole lot of time, just move the whole launch structure over there and change the turn. But this coaster is looking insanely sick!

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#37 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

^I do agree, but possibly higher. It is perfectly fine right now, but what if you took the two barrel rolls and made a flying snake dive such as Storm Runner's. Just leave the first as is, and make the second be the dive, and then do a fly over the launch?

Formally RK500

#38 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

Thanks for the comments guys! Too many people to quote so I'll just post my responses:

In regards to the size of the tubes, they are full 6 rods tubes. I will say that some of the photos do make them look skinny, but they are indeed 6 rod tubes.

While I'm on this topic, I'd like to point out that Helmer does have a point; When I chose to build this coaster, I chose to build with 6 rod tubes after looking at a few different builds from other members. I don't feel I have the pieces to do 8 rod tubes (the full moons are my concern), so that's why I'm not building with them.

Layout changes are definitely a consideration in future, but as for now I'm going to leave it. When the build starts to come to an end, I'll probably change the size of the turn and the positioning of the launch because it has to haul through the turn to make the immelmann (it's also more stress on all the launch mechanisms, so it'll definitely be changed).

Here's the update:
The quarter just ended and I have been prioritizing school so that explains why I've been building so slowly. In the time that I didn't update, I built a diving turn that was mostly inspired by Alpengeist's drop and planned out the space for the next element.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Edit: Oh! I completely forgot to get photos of the fixed heart lining! I'll prioritize that for you guys next update!

I have to add some more diagonals to the main tubes as well as fix a few track-to-support connections. Hopefully this should do the trick to support the track and get some height out of the next element.

On another note, it's that time of the year again when my building will be interrupted by luge. I hope that I can get one more update in with some progress on Friday/Saturday. I hope for this to be a build that goes by slowly, but surely.

Edited by Jumpge, 05 November 2013 - 10:39 PM.

Posted Image

#39 mitch

mitch

i hate hybrid coasters

• 113 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:35 PM

wow, I want to see a test video. now.

Posted Image

#40 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

Looking good, can't post much because I'm running out of battery!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: buying knex coasters, knex coaster sets