hyper coaster mega coaster

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 JPCoaster

JPCoaster

Lead Engineer

• 1292 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

Hi everyone! It's been way too long since I've built something with K'nex, so long that I can't even remember when was the last time...probably around January. Honestly, I had absolutely no time to build. I was extremely busy with school work, my 2 jobs, my girlfriend. It's been a while since school's over now, I also quit one of my jobs and I got dumped by my girlfriend last week. I'm still working every day except the evenings and the weekends. This means that I have about 3 weeks to build something before the beginning of my classes, it's more than enough! So yesterday, I started building a wooden coaster inspired by classic wooden coasters of the 1920's and 30's. I had so much fun building, it makes me realize how much I misses building with K'nex. Here's what I've built in two days :

DAY 1

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

DAY 2

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Test video
http://i626.photobuc...th_DSC_0336.mp4

-JP

Posted Image

#2 CowmanBearPig

CowmanBearPig

In The begining....

• 533 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

That looks awesome! I'm glad to see you building again! I'm not fully understanding the two chains, is there a particular reason for having both?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Current Project

Launched Coaster

#3 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:52 PM

Good to see you building again. It looks very classic, good work.

Posted Image

#4 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:10 AM

It has always surprised me how you can make such amazing coasters with such small parts count. This is no exception.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#5 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:46 PM

It's awesome to see you getting back to building for at least one coaster. Everything looks nice with that neat JP style!
Sorry to hear that about your girlfriend and such, but at least you're making money with work.

Posted Image

#6 motomoto123

motomoto123

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

looks great dude and your building skills have made this coaster look great so far sorry to hear about your girlfriend and if this is what your building is like you should be the same thing i wanna be an architect but looks great dude

#7 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

I'm loving that speed on the elevated turn. So good to see you building again, JP!

#8 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I passed out for a few days when I saw this thread. So excited, I love your projects.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#9 JPCoaster

JPCoaster

Lead Engineer

• 1292 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for comments guys!

That looks awesome! I'm glad to see you building again! I'm not fully understanding the two chains, is there a particular reason for having both?

Thank you! There's one for the brake run and one for the station.

Good to see you building again. It looks very classic, good work.

Thank you!

It has always surprised me how you can make such amazing coasters with such small parts count. This is no exception.

Learning tricks to save pieces help a lot. Thanks!

It's awesome to see you getting back to building for at least one coaster. Everything looks nice with that neat JP style!
Sorry to hear that about your girlfriend and such, but at least you're making money with work.

Thank you!

looks great dude and your building skills have made this coaster look great so far sorry to hear about your girlfriend and if this is what your building is like you should be the same thing i wanna be an architect but looks great dude

I'm studing in architecture right now. It's a captivating occupation. Thanks!

I'm loving that speed on the elevated turn. So good to see you building again, JP!

Thank you!

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I passed out for a few days when I saw this thread. So excited, I love your projects.

I hope you're all right now. Thanks!

It's time an update! I've built a hill to reach the second turn and the track part of this turn. I used a bit a twistyness to connect to bottum of the hill to the beginning of the turn. Here's what it looks like :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Panorama with my crappy phone
Posted Image

Test video
http://i626.photobuc...th_DSC_0122.mp4

-JP

Posted Image

#10 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

It is cool to see that you maintained your same building style, even though you have not built a coaster for ages. The coaster looks good, very classic.

Is that a picture of the channels in Amsterdam in your room? It looks like it is, awesome! Amsterdam is one hour driving away from me.

Posted Image

#11 sathothy

sathothy

Architect

• 823 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

That looks awesome! Everything looks perfect and I really like the twisty bit to the turn.
Are you going to enter this in summer heat?

#12 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

That is so awesome. The twisty part is cool too!

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

#13 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

Looking good! Cool layout so far.

Posted Image

#14 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

Amazing, you just made a ssimple Woodie design so beautiful, good job on the twisty bit.

#15 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:08 PM

This is really amazing! I like it very much, and I can't wait to see what's next. Have you considered building a tunnel into this ride? With the layout, I think a tunnel would look nice. What do you think?

Signature not available 

#16 coasterfanatic11

coasterfanatic11

Who said that?!?

• 1190 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:12 PM

Holy Smokes! JP is building again! It looks outstanding as usual! I really like the support style you've got on this one!

-cf11 (H)

Posted Image

^props to CAC!^

Check out Semeru!

#17 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:16 AM

Shaping is solid, definitely. However, I'm not a fan of the supports in the transition to the turn. They're not very woodie-esque; they don't really follow the track, and it looks kinda awkward.

#18 JPCoaster

JPCoaster

Lead Engineer

• 1292 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

It is cool to see that you maintained your same building style, even though you have not built a coaster for ages. The coaster looks good, very classic. Is that a picture of the channels in Amsterdam in your room? It looks like it is, awesome! Amsterdam is one hour driving away from me.

Thank you! Yes it is, you're so lucky to live near this city. I might go to Amsterdam and Germany in May/June to learn more about European architecture.

That looks awesome! Everything looks perfect and I really like the twisty bit to the turn.
Are you going to enter this in summer heat?

Thanks! I don't think so, I'm building just for fun!

That is so awesome. The twisty part is cool too!

Thanks!

Looking good! Cool layout so far.

Thanks!

Amazing, you just made a ssimple Woodie design so beautiful, good job on the twisty bit.

Thank you!

This is really amazing! I like it very much, and I can't wait to see what's next. Have you considered building a tunnel into this ride? With the layout, I think a tunnel would look nice. What do you think?

Thanks! A tunnel would certainly look nice but I'm not sure about it because of the length of the layout. It would hide a big part of the track.

Holy Smokes! JP is building again! It looks outstanding as usual! I really like the support style you've got on this one!

-cf11 (H)

Thank you!

Shaping is solid, definitely. However, I'm not a fan of the supports in the transition to the turn. They're not very woodie-esque; they don't really follow the track, and it looks kinda awkward.

Thanks! I don't think it is that bad. I couldn't do much better because of the complexity of this part as the supports have to cross over the low track.

I've completed the layout this week and added a handrail to give a wooden coaster look to the ride. The station is still missing and I will also add a little bit of theming. Here's what it looks like :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Test video
http://i626.photobuc...th_DSC_0128.mp4

-JP

Edited by JPCoaster, 16 August 2014 - 09:34 AM.

Posted Image

#19 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

I have all six Infinity Stones

• 728 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:44 AM

Love the handrails as well as the shaping. I like a compact wooden coaster every now and then :)

#20 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

Nice! The classic look is great and the layout is comparable to that of classic wooden. Very nice work.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hyper coaster, mega coaster