• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:15 PM

Well this feels *very* weird...

I haven't posted a new coaster here since what? 2016? It's felt like ages!

So long story short, i got bored one day and decided to clean and organize the basement. While i was rummaging through my messy basement, i found boxes upon boxes of my knex all scrambled together. So why not organize that stuff too? Well, going through all my knex i found pieces of my old projects here and there and it brought back some great memories. So once i was done organizing, i found myself very motivated and inspired to start a new project. And for once, i actually had the time and space to do so! So i started building a transfer track, then a station and brake run. I came to one issue though. I had no clue what coaster style to build. Well, after buying some more granite rods and half moon connectors, i decided to build some type of wooden coaster. But that felt a little too basic, so let's make it an RMC. So here i am, with this rather large structure sitting in my basement. 

Here is my plan for this coaster. I am thinking about making it a semi - compact twister style of RMC kinda like Medusa Steel Coaster or wicked cyclone. But i want to throw in some of the best elements from other RMCs. So the first drop is heavily inspired by Outlaw Run's. I plan on following the drop with a Steel Vengeance style outer banked turn that leads into a figure 8 style of layout. You know i do have to throw in a trick track double up from storm chaser somewhere into the last half of the ride. But here's where this ride will be kinda tricky for me. I want to theme it in some form. I was thinking about making a paper mache rockwork structure in the middle of the figure 8 to create some cool near misses and head choppers. I also plan on 3D printing some of the details for the ride such as catwalks and the station platform. I think if everything goes to plan, this ride could look pretty cool.

So enough talking, here are some photos of the ride. I do have one question though. Should i make the middle tubing of the track blue or red? I'm pretty indifferent on it.

Attached File  IMG_0429.JPG   144.5KB   2 downloads Here's a look at the transfer, station track, and brake run 

Attached File  IMG_0431.JPG   63.48KB   0 downloads Fresh chrome paint job! (other train will be painted gunmetal black)

Attached File  IMG_0427.JPG   145.27KB   0 downloads Typical RMC bunny hop leading into the lift. This will likely get changed since the transfer, station, and brake run will have to be turned around 180 degrees to work with the compact layout

Attached File  IMG_0433.JPG   162.28KB   1 downloadsOne of my biggest coasters! I'm sure the Outlaw Run inspiration is pretty obvious.

Attached File  IMG_0438.JPG   83.2KB   1 downloads Using micro chain on this one! Caused some issues at first, but its operating pretty reliably now.

Attached File  IMG_0437.JPG   130.27KB   0 downloads Very simple design, but it works wonderfully.

Attached File  IMG_0432.JPG   155.19KB   1 downloads Here's a look at the top of the lift!

Well, there it is! All feedback is appreciated, especially regarding the structure. I've never built a wooden coaster like this before so im learning as i go! I hope to have updates pretty frequently as its supposed to storm here a lot so i wont be doing much traveling. Also, since Photobucket did "its thing", im not quite used to uploading photos trough post attachments. Any tips on that would be great. Also, are there any Photobucket substitutes that would function similarly? Thanks for reading!

- Jayke

Edited by JayketheKid, 19 August 2018 - 02:49 PM.

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

#2 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

I have all six Infinity Stones

• 728 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:01 PM

Great to have you back! I've returned from a 4-year hiatus as well, and I'm glad you have a new-found motivation to start building again. That lift looks perfectly fine to me, as well as the transfer track. Maybe since it's an RMC, you could do some wacky elements (especially since RMCs tend to have unorthodox shaping and inversions). I also am all for the theming with the paper mache and head/footchoppers. As for the center tubing, I say keep it blue to match the blue supports. 

#3 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:16 AM

You could just upload photos directly to the SSC gallery, like I do. Great to see more old members come back!

I like the shaping so far . . . looking forward to see how the drop turns out.

#4 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

So im here today with a new update. First things first, Sorry that i haven't posted an update for this project in a while. Starting school has not been easy, and ive had a lot less time to build than i expected. I really only have weekends to build this coaster now, so progress is extremely slow. Second, i have been experimenting building different RMC styled elements and they are extremely hard to make with this support structure. So those two things have led me to make some changes. I am transitioning this coaster from an RMC hybrid, to an intamin prefab as i feel those have much simpler layout and would be a whole lot easier for me to build since this is the first time im working with this structure style. I am also ditching the second train. I dont have nearly enough pieces to build the whole coaster and make a system to safely operate two trains. But other than that, everything else will go to plan.  :P I ended up flattening the pre drop to make it more realistic for an intamin prefab. I also had to remove the pre-lift in order to fit into this new space, but thats an easy fix. Other than that, the pictures will do the explaining. Let me know what you think! 

Attached File  IMG_0473.JPG   190KB   2 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0486.JPG   150.52KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0478.JPG   79.47KB   0 downloads

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

#5 Dragunov!

Dragunov!

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:55 PM

It looks beautiful! However, if I were to nitpick, the transition into the pullout of the drop looks a little sharp from the second pic, but I don’t know for sure. Keep up the excellent work!

Really Crummy Contraptions designed by Apes

IMG_5782-300x200.jpg

#6 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 06:29 PM

It looks nice! I agree about the transition to the pullout, but it should be an easy fix.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wooden coaster, rmc, rocky mountain construction, theming