The Longest Thread

• Please log in to reply
45735 replies to this topic

#44501 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:31 AM

Yeah... I thought it was kinda amusing how primitive the lap bar technology was. Basically just a cylinder with no real effort gone into the design. Regardless, I thought it was fantastic, even though it was a bit painful.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#44502 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:47 PM

Well, these are the same guys who made their loops all the same size and then put them on stilts to make them taller so I'm not surprised :P.

Edited by FrIeDeGgS, 18 June 2017 - 01:49 PM.

• Connector1o1 likes this

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#44503 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:08 PM

Since we're talking about lap bars, I'd like to share my experience with Escape from Pompeii at BGW. This was during the first time that I went, way back in 2006 or something. I was a small child, and agreed to go on the splash boats ride. Once we were going up the lift, I noticed that the lap bar was freely moving. I got a little frightened about it, and then the special effects of flames and falling columns drove me the edge so I was so scared and in a crying mess... it shook me up a lot, just being scared from the special effects alone, and then just slowly waiting and just praying that I wouldn't fall out of the boat... from what I can remember, I started to rise up from the seat and had to quickly hold on tight to the lap bar. That was definitely my scariest experience at a park. 

Edited by SCM, 18 June 2017 - 02:10 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44504 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

Well, these are the same guys who made their loops all the same size and then put them on stilts to make them taller so I'm not surprised :P.

I think it's only because they thought that's all they could do/they didn't have the technology to do otherwise. When Arrow was in trouble back in 98/99 they changed up their stuff and the birth child of that was Tennessee Tornado, which a lot of people actually enjoy. I'd like to be able to ride it soon.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

#44505 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:10 AM

Speaking of lap bars, I must say, I remember Skyrush being incredibly painful, horrible purplish bruising, it didn't help the workers pushed down as hard as they could. Still, I enjoyed it and it was an incredible ride. I've heard they redesigned them... but I can't confirm wether that is true or not.

My favorite park Knoebels once got into a conversation about one of their main attractions, The Phoenix. Apparently somebody had a safety concern with how the lap restraints worked. The bar only comes down about 2 inches.. and I will admit, there is a good 6 inches between the thigh and lap bar. Even more if you are incredibly skinny.
I could understand them putting seat belts on it, but that would honestly ruin the airtime feel this ride gives. I really hope they don't follow through with it. I mean, this is a classic wooden coaster, how are you going to "fall out" unless you climb out? The whole thing is just incredibly stupid. Leave what is fine alone, if a certain somebody doesn't like it, they don't have to ride it.

• sean9782 likes this

Signature not available 

#44506 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:58 AM

I mean, this is a classic wooden coaster, how are you going to "fall out" unless you climb out? The whole thing is just incredibly stupid. Leave what is fine alone, if a certain somebody doesn't like it, they don't have to ride it.

Well said, Connector. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44507 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:06 AM

I think it's only because they thought that's all they could do/they didn't have the technology to do otherwise. When Arrow was in trouble back in 98/99 they changed up their stuff and the birth child of that was Tennessee Tornado, which a lot of people actually enjoy. I'd like to be able to ride it soon.

Yeah I hear that Tennessee Tornado is actually pretty fun and somehow smooth for an arrow coaster, and its got that weird "spiro" loop. It's a shame they went bankrupt then right after developing a new track system that was smoother. We could have coasters like b&m as far as the shaping goes but with arrow track :P. They also had Alan Schilke design it who is now working for RMC though, so maybe if arrow hadn't gone bankrupt we would have arrow but RMC wouldn't exist... 

Also, I was looking at Vekoma's website, and they have something called a "mega looping coaster", just a 6 inversion sitdown coaster, but I have never heard of something like this made by them. Does anyone know where one exists? They have a picture of one but no text or anything so I have no idea where it is...

https://www.vekoma.c...looping-coaster

39751.png

#44508 Dragon

Dragon

ROAR!

• 1481 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:31 AM

Lol, I need to stop forgetting about this place :D

so what everyone been up to?

#44509 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:22 PM

Yeah I hear that Tennessee Tornado is actually pretty fun and somehow smooth for an arrow coaster, and its got that weird "spiro" loop. It's a shame they went bankrupt then right after developing a new track system that was smoother. We could have coasters like b&m as far as the shaping goes but with arrow track :P. They also had Alan Schilke design it who is now working for RMC though, so maybe if arrow hadn't gone bankrupt we would have arrow but RMC wouldn't exist... 

Also, I was looking at Vekoma's website, and they have something called a "mega looping coaster", just a 6 inversion sitdown coaster, but I have never heard of something like this made by them. Does anyone know where one exists? They have a picture of one but no text or anything so I have no idea where it is...

https://www.vekoma.c...looping-coaster

lol that picture of the coaster is fake dude, there’s no footers for the supports and there's not even a chain return or catwalk’s for the lift hill. Why would they put a coaster there even tbh, I guess no one has bought one of these types, or vekoma just makes their launch coasters the mega lopping coasters instead.

• Dragon likes this

#44510 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:07 PM

Oh my... I feel pretty dumb now

39751.png

#44511 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:27 PM

No, all the Vekoma renditions have that same style.

Vekoma has a lot of cool looking models that haven't sold.

Why would there be a fake picture of a coaster on the official Vekoma website?

• SCM likes this

#44512 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

Started my summer placement yesterday at a Civil Engineering office in a Glasgow. It's going pretty well so far. Done a couple of different things. I reckon it'll become a bit busier later on though.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#44513 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:23 PM

Anyone see the news I dropped about Summer Heat on Facebook over the weekend?

#44514 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:05 PM

*reading above post* *going to SSC FB page* Well, now I'm interested. (Is there going to be a thread for it? One where members say they want to enter?) Meh, either way, count me in. I knew it was a good idea to build slowly. Edit: The location is probably stupidly obvious, but I can't find out the rules for the past Summer Heats. I can't find this 'Overall Archive' anywhere. 

Edit: Oooh, now there's a link on our profiles to the models we've added to the database... I missed that feature. 

Edited by SCM, 22 June 2017 - 12:31 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44515 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:57 PM

Yeah. Having a link to the rules of the old contests would be nice. I too am interested and have a build planned that could fit.

#44516 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:45 PM

I'll be in Cleveland from the 10th of July to the 15th. Looking forward to it! Too bad my flights are connecting and red eyes.

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#44517 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:18 AM

Yeah. Having a link to the rules of the old contests would be nice. I too am interested and have a build planned that could fit.

Got to dig them up. Haven't had a chance.

#44518 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:13 PM

So we can select any theme we want and build to it? It doesn't have to be the same theme for everyone, right?

Edit: Also apologies for no updates. I have stuff to edit into a video but 8:30-5 days and getting up at 6:20 really takes away your motivation to do anything aside from sitting back and reading comics.

Edited by CW5X, 22 June 2017 - 03:18 PM.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#44519 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:29 AM

Yes, any previous theme. Having trouble digging some up. I think they were mostly front page items on the old site...

#44520 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

Cisco's vibe powers would be so helpful right now... Edit: I wonder if recalling near-lost memories with lucid dreaming is possible? I was going to try to lucid dream my way into reading the old SSC contest posts again, but now I've got an idea that will be more reliable: time travel. ;) https://archive.org/web/  Edit: I'm onto something here! http://www.sscoaster...e-year-archive/

Edited by SCM, 23 June 2017 - 11:45 AM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master