• Please log in to reply
45735 replies to this topic

#44581 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:06 AM

Sorry, but This Is Too Good of an Opportunity to Give Up

Okay but really, though, f*** them for this. Ruining years and years of memories on this site for their corporate greed... I mean $400 a year? They need to stop taking themselves so seriously. If they aren't going to lower the price, then they should raise the time. $400 for 40 years sounds good to me. Why the hell would they decide that price, and why would they make that an annual fee? That's the stupidest thing I've heard all day. This whole thing is just a big slap in the face followed by a middle finger to those who have been using PB for so long. 
If they are going to be like this, then fine, but I will not stand by them anymore, and neither should anyone else.  :@

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44582 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:05 PM

I could see $10 a year, but not $400. They're fucking insane if they think we're gonna pay that kind of money for external hosting.

#44583 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:03 PM

They let you have 1 gb of storage for free and make you pay for more storage, and that's enough to last me like 10 years since I didn't really upload videos there, so I don't imagine they made a lot of money from that.. This isn't really going to make them much money either since imgur and flickr don't make you pay for external hosting, so people will go to them instead. Also, just made an imgur account and put a pic in my last post to make sure it works on other websites and it does! Imgur seems much faster than Photobucket was...

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#44584 X7123M3-256

X7123M3-256

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:43 PM

Can anybody explain the advantage of using an external host for this site? It seems you can upload images directly to SSC, and those seem to have stuck around longer than anything else - I can still find coasters from 2005 (though anything older seems to have been lost).

Most links I've seen to Photobucket were long since dead anyway, and those that worked were slow to load.

#44585 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:38 PM

Some images seemed to get rotated wrongly, and using an external hosting site allows you to post the images to another site—though, I can't think of any other active K'NEX forums where such images would be posted.

#44586 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:07 AM

Just came back from CP! Trip Report up soon. I took wayyy too many pics! The best ride was definatly Maverick in the front row.

Also photobucket is officially freaking insane.

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#44587 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:12 AM

Hey guys, I found this: 

http://www.denverpos...over-charging/ 

This reminds me: I don't get it why companies would overprice something. It just doesn't make sense for them. 

Alright, so say I'm selling crackers in two sections; A and B. Both sections have the exact same amount of boxes (500) and this whole thing is a period over 1 week. Buying a box from section A will cost you $300. Buying a box from section B will cost you $5. 

One week later, section A had 1 box sold (whoever bought it really has some issues to work out), and section B had 250 sold. Section A profit: $300 ; B profit: $1,250. The large price isn't going to do you any good if everyone ignores it, Photobucket. 

Before I forget, I'd like to quote some of the article. Prepare, forum, for your BS meter to overload. I'm sure PB will offer to replace it for $400 a year. 

The company stuck to its new policy to charge up to $400 a year to people using Photobucket to host a large number of images. "This path to a more sustainable model allows us to develop an even more robust product to meet our customers' needs," Photobucket chief executive John Corpus said in a statement.

Sustainable? That's the last word I'd use. Since when do customers need to be charged an unreasonable price? Alright, let's continue. 

But 75 percent of Photobucket's costs originated from "non-paying users leveraging 3rd party hosting," Corpus added. And it resulted in "zero revenue."

So, I see you'd like to stick to this 'zero revenue'. 

The problem for affected users was that their photos disappeared online. They were replaced with images that asked the user to unlock their account because "3rd Party Hosting as been temporarily disabled."

Sound familiar, guys? 

Photobucket said it let those users either subscribe to the new plan or migrate the photos off the site.

In other words, pay up of fvck off. 

Edited by SCM, 14 July 2017 - 10:28 AM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44588 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:47 PM

Heading down to the beach tomorrow for the week.

#44589 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:13 AM

Heading down to the beach tomorrow for the week.

Enjoy your week at the beach!

In other news, I turned 18 years old on July 13th. It's crazy to think how old I feel, thighs have been going okay though.
I work for a lawn service company and business has been good, spent yesterday on my hands and knees staining a 50 foot wooden deck so I'm really tired.
However I'm really excited for Wednesday, I will be going to Hershey Park and it will be my first visit to a theme park in almost 2 years. Anybody here like Hershey? It's one of my favorite theme parks, and I'm very fond of all the rides and it will be good so take some time off of work.
Anybody doing anything interesting lately?

Signature not available 

#44590 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:51 AM

I love Hershey! I went last year and had a great time. I work at Subway and I've been working a good bit recently.

4 Windseekers and counting...

#44591 frank

frank

Construction Foreman

• 246 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:43 AM

Have any of you seen the 3rd party hosting for Photobucket there taking all the pics down very slowly? and you have to pay 399.99 to enable it, this Frikin ridicules.  

Edited by frank, 16 July 2017 - 11:44 AM.

#44592 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:02 PM

Well, haven't been here in a while. How's everybody been lately? Been really itching to get back to work on some knex projects. I've got a few ideas to try out that I can't wait to show you guys. Also, photobucket is just ridiculous. It was such a handy way to post pictures. Is there any similar alrternatives to photobucket that won't cost me and arm and a leg?

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

#44593 X7123M3-256

X7123M3-256

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:04 PM

Is there any similar alrternatives to photobucket that won't cost me and arm and a leg?

What's wrong with Imgur?

#44594 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:29 PM

My dad uses Flickr right now for image hosting after photobucket shot the bird at everyone. It seems to be working well for him.

I worked last night from midnight - 5 AM, came home and fell asleep and just woke up. Now I have to go back for a 5-11 shift this evening.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#44595 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:50 PM

Picked up my guitar again for the first time in weeks. Actually no worse than I was before which should tell you my level of playing. Got some more stuff done on Silver Star today and yesterday. It's essentially finished aside from a couple of catwalk issues. Should get it filmed next week at last:D

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#44596 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:53 PM

Yesterday at work a customer told me to go look at the men's room. There was the usual: paper towels scattered on the floor and sinks, but there was also some toilet paper crawling out of the toilet and onto the floor. Finally, someone took a shit right smack in the middle of the bathroom floor. Absolutely disgusting. Okay, fair enough, it could've been a candy bar that some kid dropped, but I wasn't going to take any chances. 

I've set up to delete my PB account on the 18th. Remember when TheFineBros lost millions of subscribers per minute last year? I do. The countdown was impressive. I'd imagine the same thing is happening to PB right now, and here, I'm just sitting back and watching the chaos. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44597 creator

creator

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:30 PM

What happened to FTN?  

edit: Just saw the blog.  It's a bummer that the forum is gone.  I hope everyone is doing well, though.  :)

Edited by creator, 17 July 2017 - 04:38 PM.

#44598 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:17 AM

I tried to download the old pictures of all my old stuff from Photobucket but for whatever reason none of my videos I had on there worked now :(. Anyone else have this issue? I had a very small flying coaster that I only had test videos of and uploaded them on there... It had this half-corkscrew turn thing which I thought was really cool. I nearly completed it but for whatever reason I never took pictures of it, and only video. 

What happened to FTN?  

edit: Just saw the blog.  It's a bummer that the forum is gone.  I hope everyone is doing well, though.   :)

What is FTN? I'm doing pretty well I guess.

Edit: Found the videos on my old iPod, along with some other updates I never posted. There are even pictures of the winter contest coaster on there that I did in 2012!

Edited by FrIeDeGgS, 18 July 2017 - 12:25 AM.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#44599 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:28 AM

FTN was another site of mine. I have reincarnated it this year as just Florida Thrills (www.floridathrills.net)

Cool to see you creator!

#44600 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:00 PM

I'm doing well, but I just can't seem to find the remaining 2 blue coins in Noki Bay. Purple Potato is coming along well, too. Hopefully I'll find the time to update it real soon. 

Edit: 'Tis true, I am indeed the God of new pages! 

Edited by SCM, 18 July 2017 - 02:00 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master