The Longest Thread

• Please log in to reply
45735 replies to this topic

#44561 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:39 AM

I work in a print shop (no tips) and deal with last-minute customers all the time. Our clean-up process usually takes 1.5 hours on a good night and we start around 8PM so we'll be close to done by close at 9PM. We also have self-serve copiers that customers can freely use when we're open. I can't tell you the amount of people who come running in at 8:55PM to set up a gigantic print order or to do <$0.50 copies. My favorite are the customers who beg and plead I run their job right away (which we can rarely do since we almost always have a queue of orders). I'm scheduled until 9 but am typically still working until 9:30 or later because of last-minute customers. With things becoming more and more instantaneous, it's hard explaining how their poster will take a minimum 2 hours to print.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#44562 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:16 PM

Unfortunately there are going to be late nights sometimes no matter what job you work. And when you are salaried, you don't get paid to work those hours.

#44563 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:47 PM

I go to cedar point in one week! What's the best good value food in the park, and should I stay one or two days?

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#44564 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:23 PM

I would stay for two days if you can, but you can definitely hit all the coasters and some flats in one day. Also, Pinks is good if you like hotdogs, and the restaurant in Gatekeeper's plaza is good. Do you plan to write a trip report?

4 Windseekers and counting...

#44565 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:14 PM

I worked overnight at toysRus and stayed late about half the time, not like I had a normal person sleep scehdule so it didn't really matter. Plus the hard stuff was in the beginning of the night so when I stayed late I was getting paid to do easier things like bringing palates to the basement, crushing cardboard, and putting overstock above isles, rather than unloading trucks and stocking shelves.

I'm also going to CP and KI next week, Valravn looks promising (don't want to get too hype cuz b&m), and mystic timbers looks great, wonder if its better than firehawk.

#44566 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:09 AM

Now, I'm a mature adult, but... teehee, NCoaster's post count. :P 669 posts 

Construction for SH is going well. I hope to get a thread up soon. I've never done anything like this before... 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44567 TEDDSTER

TEDDSTER

Polar Bear

• 267 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

^That is a good point, but it's mainly the time that is the problem. Customers can come in all they want during a decent time, I don't care. Still, we all want to go home. Last night I closed at 10PM, but I didn't get out until a little after 12AM due to sidework. 

Yeah I know that feeling, I work in retail and we have customers come in a minute before we close and they go shopping. Then we have to clean the entire store, and count the drawers which takes quite some time. Lately I have been getting out late, which isn't good for our store budget. Speaking of that I work today.

I really hope I can take my K'nex out tomorrow, I haven't built since I posted about creating my construction thread and I really want to.

39797.png

#44568 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:05 PM

I go to cedar point in one week! What's the best good value food in the park, and should I stay one or two days?

Can't go wrong with Panda Express.

Also, as far as the retail thing goes. I work retail too, at Publix. I work in dairy and my girlfriend works in the Deli. People will come in to the deli 20 min before the store closes and expect a rotisserie chicken. Well, it doesn't work like that because of cleaning utensils and such.

Well, in dairy, at 8 PM we start to pull products forward to make the store look nice and pretty (because Publix), and the store is still open. People will literally see me pulling products forward and make a remark like "sorry to mess you up hehehe" and then pull some product off the shelf. I shouldn't be irritated but like, just pull it forward anyways.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#44569 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:51 PM

Its 11:50 but hey, Happy 4th to all you Americans! And even if your not, happy 4th of July (even though it doesnt matter to you)

V- Holy crap! I always thought there was more to explosions on this day then just being free from Great Britian!

Edited by CartRacer56, 05 July 2017 - 10:26 AM.

#44570 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:56 AM

Edit: Wow. I was almost run over ~1hr ago. I wasn't looking where I was going, so shame on me for that, but that doesn't give the car the right to ZOOM into the parking spot. I had to jump back a bit. Oh yeah and why is it the ONE TIME I don't look, something like this happens? It's kinda like how at work when I was holding the door. I was always constantly running around. Ten minutes, no one in sight. Twenty minutes, same story. I'm thinking "Wow, I'm thirsty." I would then look once more to confirm there were no more customers. Finally, I would walk away. I couldn't even get to the host stand area before a customer started walking in/out, and a lot of the times the manager is right there and it makes me look like a crap worker.

Back to the topic of the crazy car, should I be worried about my reaction? I didn't react like "OH SHIT" and then start to panic like normal people do. Nope. My reaction was a slight stepping backwards to avoid getting hit. I wasn't panicked or even slightly scared. I could've died or been seriously injured, and I didn't even really give a LEGO. 

Edited by SCM, 05 July 2017 - 02:45 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44571 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:25 AM

Really strange work week with the holiday on Tuesday.

#44572 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:29 AM

I had to work on Tuesday evening. It was actually really nice because at one point there were 2 people shopping in the store.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

#44573 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:18 PM

So I finally called K'nex and got the green rods and yellow connectors that I needed. They were pretty nice about it, and I was even was able to ask for some coaster car joints (I tried to get five but she said I could only get two :P), but it's still pretty nice since I've always had to use rubber bands to connect my cars, which can be annoying. I was supposed to do this a while ago but I was being reaaaaally lazy.

Edited by FrIeDeGgS, 06 July 2017 - 03:18 PM.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#44574 TEDDSTER

TEDDSTER

Polar Bear

• 267 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:18 PM

I had to work on Tuesday evening. It was actually really nice because at one point there were 2 people shopping in the store.

I worked on Tuesday too and no one came into our store after 5:00pm and we closed at 7:00pm so my manager and I didn't do much because we finished all of our "projects" early.

39797.png

#44575 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:18 PM

I worked all day Tuesday (9-6PM) in our copy center by myself. You wouldn't think people want to make copies on a holiday like the 4th, but you'd be surprised. Ran over 50 orders (norm for 4th of July is about 3-10). At least the store bought us lunch.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#44576 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:32 AM

That was nice of the store, and from 10 to more than 50? Sheesh, what an increase. I worked on the 4th, and people were like "Happy Birthday, 'MURICA" It put a smile on my face. Oh and guys, guess what: America is 241 years old. Notice the last two digits: 41. This means that next year, all of the answers to life will be revealed here in 'Murica. 

Edit: Leave it to me to see a bunch of "single?" ads on this site. :P 

Edited by SCM, 10 July 2017 - 07:08 PM.

• dylpickled likes this

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44577 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:45 AM

Has anyone noticed what photobucket did? Basically if you don't pay $400 a year, they block images that were posted to 3rd party sites. So many tutorials and construction threads were just ruined :(

How do I upload a picture here omgg.

#44578 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:49 AM

Certainly has been noticed.

#44579 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:58 AM

^ I was just about to mention that my pictures still showed up in my eurofighter thread since I checked about a week ago when I heard about this, and I seemingly wasn't affected, but I just checked and they weren't there. :( The only thing that stopped me from just using the gallery on here as opposed to Photobucket and having to go through all the linking stuff is that my pictures would show upside down on here, even if I flipped the pictures before uploading, so probably something strange with iPhones. 

testing if imgur worksCPARFEj.jpg

Edited by FrIeDeGgS, 13 July 2017 - 03:02 PM.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#44580 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:18 AM

Looks like the last of us will have to make the switch to the image hosting on here. I think it's crazy they make you pay $400 to have your pictures viewed on other sites. Maybe like 10-25 would've been more reasonable.