• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 SamIsSoAwsome

SamIsSoAwsome

Construction Foreman

• 407 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

Merry Christmas!
I got a lot of stuff for Christmas but most important to you people I got the "Typhoon Frenzy" Roller Coaster by K'nex (incidentally this coaster has slightly lighter green track which is weird but o well...).

Posted Image

If you are not aware this coaster it is cool because it has the exact amount of tighter turning VV track needed for me to recreate Mad Mouse by Arrow Dynamics! More detailed then that I am going to try recreate the station and stuff of the model at Michigan's Adventure. Or at least try... I want to make a mouse ride for sure but whether or not it is a recreation is still a little bit up in the air. I put together a layout just to see how it could possibly all fit together and it's pretty large... (Station is on the bottom)

Posted Image

The layout measures 5' 10" by 3' 9" what that is in metric I do not know because I am an American. I'm fine with making it this large but I want to know what you people think! If I do follow through with this layout I would have to modify one track segment but I have plenty of track so I don't really care.

Posted Image

Give me your opinions!

Edited by SamIsSoAwsome, 02 September 2014 - 03:54 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:10 PM

It would be great if you go through with this, I've never seen a good vv wildmouse style coaster.

#3 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

Awesome. I've never seen any VV wild mouse.
I bet you can get the track to match up with some elevation changes.

Edited by The Stig, 25 December 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#4 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

You have a lot more curved pieces than I do! I'm looking forward to seeing this completed!

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#5 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

You haven't accounted for hills (that look similar to straight track from above, but uses more track). I wouldn't worry about the extra track until you get to that point in the layout. I doubt it will be an issue. Looks great and I hope it works out!

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#6 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:48 AM

Well crap, I was going to attempt the first real VV wild mouse coaster (with 180* turns that AREN'T banked at 90*), and I even got that same exact set haha. But yeah I say go for it, you'd do it much better than I could. :P

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#7 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:50 AM

It should be possible, and I'm eager to see it happen! If you run into trouble at the end just make the last straight flare out a wee bit, it's really not that bad :) If it all, VV is still something I want to attempt so this might be a good way to see what can be done with just straight track.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 SamIsSoAwsome

SamIsSoAwsome

Construction Foreman

• 407 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:26 PM

This update is LONG over do! I've been working on this coaster for awhile now and haven't gotten around to make an update. I think it's coming along quite well at the moment and I thought I would show you guys where I am at. I was able to fix the track spacing issue by making the entire thing a little narrower. As a result, on the turns the track bows out a little making for some weird distortions in the track. All in all I think it looks fine and I don't think there is much I can do. My main problem with this coaster is that because I'm working with VV the track only comes in set lengths, making it hard to make a ride like this turn when you want it to. For this reason pretty much all of the drops are either to steep or not steep enough. Once again it's not really anything I can fix so I'm gonna go with it. Here are some pictures!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I also have working Transfer track on this coaster which...worked...super well... The transfer chains tend to pull one side more then another which locks it all up and it's not good. I had this problem once before and was able to fix it so hopefully I can get it working again. I'll post a video when I do. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this problem I would be very interested to hear! I'm really proud of the design I made for them. It's really cool but I don't know If I can describe it clearly in writing. I'll try to make a video in the next couple of days.

Posted Image
Posted Image

An of course the sign.

Posted Image

Here is a test video. I pushed the car a little hard so the speeds a little faster then I would like. I'll get the speed good when I do the next bit.

Also If any staff members see this. I would really appreciate it if someone would change my name back... "SamIsSoAwsome" That'd be cool...

Please comment!

Edited by SamIsSoAwsome, 11 May 2014 - 09:32 PM.

Posted Image

#9 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

Looks good Sam!! I'm curious about your transfer track. Is it supposed to be automated? Sign is snazzy by the way.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#10 SamIsSoAwsome

SamIsSoAwsome

Construction Foreman

• 407 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

^Kind of... It's set up so there's only one motor powering all three of the chain driven track sections, but the chain only moves if the transfer track is lined up with another segment of track. This way if I'm transferring a car I don't have to worry about another car coming along and falling off the track. It's a little confusing but it makes transferring cars really easy. I'll make a video.

Edited by SamIsSoAwsome, 12 May 2014 - 08:07 AM.

Posted Image

#11 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

That looks fantastic, Sam. I imagine the set track lengths would be complicated to work with in a project like this. But I think what you have there looks exceptionally good.

#12 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

This is very impressive for vv and it's annoying track lengths. The transfer track and logo are nice too, I can't wait to see more.

#13 SamIsSoAwsome

SamIsSoAwsome

Construction Foreman

• 407 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

^Thanks.

Heres a video of the transfer tracks. I fixed it by lubricating the K'nex rods the transfer section slides on. The one bummer about this transfer track is that I can't take cars off the circuit. If I had trains instead of just cars I could but because this is a mouse ride I can not. Here's a video hopefully you can kind of see how it works.

Edited by SamIsSoAwsome, 12 May 2014 - 04:33 PM.

Posted Image

#14 CowmanBearPig

CowmanBearPig

In The begining....

• 533 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

I am going to be honest, I had no idea that you were SamIsSoAwesome. I just though you were some horribly unimaginative, new user. Then I saw your sig.

I love the idea of this coaster. I was going to try one of these but I thought there would be complications with the track not rejoining. I'm glad to see that you've taken it on!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Current Project

Launched Coaster

#15 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:34 AM

I love this project. The track looks really good like this, and the transfer section is very innovative.

#16 RidesByDaan

RidesByDaan

Entry Engineer

• 704 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

Its looking great so far! I really like the Logo you've made!!

#17 SamIsSoAwsome

SamIsSoAwsome

Construction Foreman

• 407 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:15 PM

I love the idea of this coaster. I was going to try one of these but I thought there would be complications with the track not rejoining. I'm glad to see that you've taken it on!

I'm just amazed how well it works.

I love this project. The track looks really good like this, and the transfer section is very innovative.

Thank you.

Its looking great so far! I really like the Logo you've made!!

Thank you.

Update!
Nothing more to say, here are some pictures.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And a video. One of the supports on the middle turn closest to the camera is a little high so it stalls some times but I will fix it.

Please Comment!
I plan on getting it done soon I really don't have the much left just the lift and the station really. I have plans for my next build so I want to get this one done!

Edited by SamIsSoAwsome, 31 July 2014 - 04:17 PM.

Posted Image

#18 Kevkillerke

Kevkillerke

Mr. circus

• 1658 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

Wow, this is really one of the best things I've seen with VV.
A wild mouse with VV is really awesome, and your transfer track makes it even better.

Which set gave you so many curved pieces? Or did you just bought many of them.
EDIT: lol, I forgot about your first post :P

Edited by Kevkillerke, 31 July 2014 - 04:23 PM.

Posted Image
Click > Spirit Bomb/Blue Fire!/Double O/Kirnu < Click
SSC award 2014: Best SlimTrack Coaster
Eruption
Posted Image

#19 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

That is amazing! This might possibly be one of the best VV ever built! Such a simple layout, yet so aesthetically pleasing.

Posted Image

#20 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

This looks great. This is a case where I think being slim track benefits the aesthetic appeal.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mad, mad mouse, micro, mouse, samissoawsome