inverted large fluxcapacitor wut box supports

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:04 PM

It's been a little while since I started something.

gallery_2032_1045_152879.jpg

gallery_2032_1045_684208.jpg

gallery_2032_1045_1459754.jpg

gallery_2032_1045_283812.jpg

gallery_2032_1045_548504.jpg

gallery_2032_1045_486505.jpg

gallery_2032_1045_975909.jpg

:D

Edited by CW5X, 12 July 2016 - 04:53 PM.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#2 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:46 PM

I can't catch a break! That was literally the name I was going to use for my giga. I guess I have to look at more mythical Greek creatures, haha :). The drop looks a little weird, but in a good way. And everything is so smooth. This is definitely a great start!

Edited by dylpickled, 08 May 2016 - 12:46 PM.

How do I upload a picture here omgg.

#3 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:49 PM

I can't catch a break! That was literally the name I was going to use for my giga. I guess I have to look at more mythical Greek creatures, haha :). The drop looks a little weird, but in a good way. And everything is so smooth. This is definitely a great start!

Haha. I only decided on it last minute because I wanted something with an "aur" ending. The drop I'm still kind of unsure about. From some angles it looks fine and from others, it's a bit weird. I'll probably play about with it a bit more but I just wanted a rough starting shape for now.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#4 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:50 PM

We got Old_Hag starting a build, you starting a build, and I'm starting one that I hope will impress everyone. Whats next? Gump breaks the World record for tallest knex coaster and most inversions on a knex coaster all in the same coaster?

Looks great! Don't see any flaws keep building please!

#5 frank

frank

Construction Foreman

• 246 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:09 PM

this is going to have to go outside.

#6 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

ranting somewhere about something

• 890 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:55 PM

I really like it so far. Please do a little pre-drop, just for me :P

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#7 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:47 AM

It is great to see you building on a project again! The size of the lift and loop look very promising for the rest of the lay-out. The general shaping of the elements is fantastic, but it seems that the shaping is a little off on the drop. I would not call it a sharp spot, but it is visible on the first and last picture. Although I know that you are still working on the loop, it looks like its general shaping still needs some work. It could also be the angle of the picture though. Other than that, I really like where this is going! :)

Posted Image

#8 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:41 AM

Thanks.

We got Old_Hag starting a build, you starting a build, and I'm starting one that I hope will impress everyone. Whats next? Gump breaks the World record for tallest knex coaster and most inversions on a knex coaster all in the same coaster?

Looks great! Don't see any flaws keep building please!

Thank you.

this is going to have to go outside.

Yes. Yes it is :D

I really like it so far. Please do a little pre-drop, just for me :P

Just a little one ;)

It is great to see you building on a project again! The size of the lift and loop look very promising for the rest of the lay-out. The general shaping of the elements is fantastic, but it seems that the shaping is a little off on the drop. I would not call it a sharp spot, but it is visible on the first and last picture. Although I know that you are still working on the loop, it looks like its general shaping still needs some work. It could also be the angle of the picture though. Other than that, I really like where this is going! :)

Yeah. I thought it looked a bit funny so I think I've made it better here. The first half of the loop I think looks ok but the second half is definitely still a work in progress.Thank you.

Nothing too major here but just a little update on the drop that I think looks a little smoother than before. I wasn't quite happy before but now it's somewhere near how I want it to look. I didn't want to go quite as intense on the banking as Raptor which is what I originally based the drop on although perhaps a little more wouldn't go amiss. I'll think about it.

gallery_2032_1045_155700.jpg

gallery_2032_1045_1455478.jpg

gallery_2032_1045_78823.jpg

gallery_2032_1045_93517.jpg

And just a slightly different angle of the loop. I think it will look better in the context of the finished coaster.

gallery_2032_1045_1207597.jpg

Got a busy week or two ahead so you'll not hear much from this until very late May but it's nice to have a little start so I can think about the layout. I'm a little bit undecided on how to finish it as of yet.

Edited by CW5X, 10 May 2016 - 11:45 AM.

Tyndrum

#9 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:02 PM

Looks good just support that baby up!

#10 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

ranting somewhere about something

• 890 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:22 PM

Looks fantastic, but I agree^ just needs some TTS

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#11 GravitySnake

GravitySnake

Construction Worker

• 124 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:18 PM

IMO the loop needs to be a little wider, and the drop should have more banking.

Spoiler

#12 Dragunov!

Dragunov!

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:47 AM

Oh my god he's back...

It looks awesome!

Cart, what if I told you i might make the tallest micro invert? XD

Really Crummy Contraptions designed by Apes

IMG_5782-300x200.jpg

#13 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:14 PM

Guess I'll need to add a trip to Falkirk into my diary cause I think you'll need a hand with this beast ;)

• CW5X likes this

#14 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:53 PM

Looks good just support that baby up!

Thank you.

Looks fantastic, but I agree^ just needs some TTS

I think I've added quite a few more now. Thanks.

IMO the loop needs to be a little wider, and the drop should have more banking.

At first, I thought it would be okay but then I changed my mind and fiddled a bit with it. I think it looks better now.

Oh my god he's back...

It looks awesome!

Cart, what if I told you i might make the tallest micro invert? XD

I'M BACK! And right into building now. Thank you.

Guess I'll need to add a trip to Falkirk into my diary cause I think you'll need a hand with this beast ;)

Yes you will and yes I will. :D Thank you.

So because of all the stuff I had to finish off, I guess not a huge amount of progress has been made, certainly not on trackwork but just to get the ball rolling, here's where I am. I have a layout at last. I couldn't figure out what to do with all that speed and I'll probably raise the whole first drop more just make sure it can make the long layout I have planned. I've been using Templar and Montu as kind of a basis to take guesses at the heights necessary. I'll get out to test it soon since the weather will be nice for a while I think. If I get anywhere near this then I'll be very happy.

gallery_2032_1045_1808402.jpg

In case you can't decipher my drawing, it's loop, dive loop, zero-G roll, rising turn to MCBR, batwing, loop, interlocking corkscrews. Pretty optimistic I know.

Here's where the building is at. Basically there's more supporting in here than the average alcoholics anonymous meeting and not a lot of tracking. Many more supports still to go though. Pieces are looking alright though.

gallery_2032_1045_1757050.jpg

gallery_2032_1045_1776233.jpg

gallery_2032_1045_1187961.jpg

Improved loop. Looks a bit smoother and better supported at the top I think. I'll keep adding more to make sure at some point though.

gallery_2032_1045_776579.jpg

I have done little tests on this and it makes it easily even though I'm pretty confident some cars in the train haven't been lubed yet but then again, I haven't added the seats so that should even it out.

Thanks for all the comments as always. :D

Edited by CW5X, 01 June 2016 - 04:59 PM.

Tyndrum

#15 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:06 AM

The loop does look better! As for the layout...whoa. Like you said, that's pretty optimistic. It's got several more elements than the longest inverted layout, Banshee! But as long as the ending isn't awkwardly drawn out and boring like most B&M inverts, I'll be happy.

#16 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:21 PM

How high up do you think the MCBR will be?

#17 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:32 PM

Well right now I have it on the underside of 11 granites but like I said, I'm probably raising the whole drop section and leaving the loop and other elements high off the ground because of the potential speed loss. I don't know how it will look but if it makes it work then I'm happy.

Tyndrum

#18 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:09 PM

The loop does look better! As for the layout...whoa. Like you said, that's pretty optimistic. It's got several more elements than the longest inverted layout, Banshee! But as long as the ending isn't awkwardly drawn out and boring like most B&M inverts, I'll be happy.

I'll take some out if it gets too drawn out but as long as the speed loss isn't too bad then it should be fine. Thanks. :D

So now that I have everything in the garage, some proper progress can be made. The dive loop was a bit awkward to put together but I think I just about have it. I didn't want it to be too drawn out so it would make it over. I still don't know if I made it too high but like I said, the cars have a lot of speed to give.

Attached File  DSC_0267.JPG   157.1KB   1 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0268.JPG   189.33KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0269.JPG   141.27KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0270.JPG   87.54KB   1 downloads

The loop is as tall as me now that I've raised it.

Attached File  DSC_0271.JPG   162.01KB   2 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0272.JPG   155.74KB   1 downloads

Adding as attachments is far easier. Why am I only just  finding this out?

I should be able to go out for a test run soon and we'll see what happens. The weather looks decent for a little while. Thanks for the comments. :D

Tyndrum

#19 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:41 PM

I like it so far, I know this may be to late but the loops pullin should've started lower ti the ground so you could get more speed out of the drop and height for the loop and the rest of the elements in the layout to come but well see how good your trains are, and how well you support the coaster to conserve speed!

Edited by IOAgeek, 06 June 2016 - 09:41 PM.

#20 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:58 AM

I can see what you're saying but the issue is the frictional losses on the train with higher speed. I can put it closer to the ground but although the loop would be larger, it wouldn't be quite as high overall if it was only just making it now (it's actually flying over just now but for the sake of describing the situation, I'll say it's only just making it). Since the layout is so long, I'm trying to limit that and balance out the size of the elements with the height off the ground. I guess some fun could be had building small elements 15 granites off the ground though ;)

Tyndrum

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inverted, large, fluxcapacitor, wut, box, supports