sylph wing coaster ioageek 2018 immelman zero g roll

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:35 AM

Now that I am done for the semester from college. I now have some time this summer to build another coaster. I really want to do a wing rider with a custom layout that will be very unique and fit in this room. The lift hill is about 6 feet tall and I plan on using custom cars for the train. The lift works great and there is a cool chain return which the chain barely fits through. Even if the chain breaks at the chain return will catch it from falling to the bottom. It's a pain to feed it through though. This is from like a week and a half ago, so I'll get the next update up in a few days to catch you up. I want to have this done by the end of next month, and I hope you enjoy this new coaster and the pictures!

IMG_20541.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

The station area that will be built later

IMG_2048.jpg

The break run area

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_20531.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

Please comment!

Edited by IOAgeek, 21 November 2022 - 09:05 PM.

#2 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:35 AM

Nice start. 

You should get a nice long layout with that height. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. 

Should we expect the classic wing rider drop?

#3 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:33 AM

That's a gorgeous lift hill! I really love the minimalist supports and the extra detail in the catwalks

#4 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:54 AM

THat is a clean lift hill! We don't see many wingriders so this should be exciting!

Edited by FrIeDeGgS, 07 June 2018 - 01:54 AM.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#5 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:54 PM

I counted 15 granites high. That's almost as tall as Ningen was! Come to think of it, this is probably the tallest K'nex wingrider out there so far. As others said, really great job with the detailed catwalks. This is shining already. 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#6 TheCodeMaster

TheCodeMaster

Resident Nolimits 2 Expert

• 761 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:00 PM

Looks great! Except that Wing coasters don't level off before twisting, they twist while angling down.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[18-07, 09:16] SCM: I only see 14 inversions. There's supposed to be 14 inversions.

STEEL VENOM - DRAGON - JAWHARP - ARMAGEDDON - ICE - CEREBUS - DIABLO - STEEL VENOM - THE REVENGE - CLIFFHANGER - FALCON - SMILER - ALTON TOWERS

Construction zone:

None

#7 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 04:31 PM

Like others have said, that is one nice lift hill! The catwalks and chain return are a great touch. If the chain is putting a lot of strain on the motor, I would suggest letting it curve more gradually at the beginning and end of the chain return where the green connectors are.

Why it feel like so long since I saw a coaster use box supports?

#8 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:55 PM

Nice start. 

You should get a nice long layout with that height. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. 

Should we expect the classic wing rider drop?

Yea I am expecting to get a long layout as well, and yes there will be a classic wing rider drop!

That's a gorgeous lift hill! I really love the minimalist supports and the extra detail in the catwalks

Thank you, I think the catwalks make the lift look more realistic imo.

THat is a clean lift hill! We don't see many wingriders so this should be exciting!

Haha yeah you're right we dont. I wish there was more built myself.

I counted 15 granites high. That's almost as tall as Ningen was! Come to think of it, this is probably the tallest K'nex wingrider out there so far. As others said, really great job with the detailed catwalks. This is shining already. 

Thanks, I am not sure what the tallest wing rider built is?

Looks great! Except that Wing coasters don't level off before twisting, they twist while angling down.

Yea I fixed that, the lift has to angle down a little bit so the train can get over the lift hill, It used to be straight at the top, but the train was struggling to get over the chain lift so I had to angle it, to fix it.

Like others have said, that is one nice lift hill! The catwalks and chain return are a great touch. If the chain is putting a lot of strain on the motor, I would suggest letting it curve more gradually at the beginning and end of the chain return where the green connectors are.

Why it feel like so long since I saw a coaster use box supports?

Thank you a lot, the chain is fine now and I got it fixed, I had to take some weights off the train anyways and the chain hasn't snapped for a long time, so well be fine.

I have been a lite busy last week plus I was fixing the drop to this coaster a few times so I could get the drop to look just like ones found of wing riders but I think I finally got it right. After the drop will be a zero g roll kind of like the one found on hang time at Knott's Berry Farm. I wanted the zero-g entrance to be less steep, but I need the train to go over the lift hill near the middle of it so I will have enough room to fit the next element after the zero-g. I may have to rotate the coaster a few feet but well see. I had to make the pullout for the drop be a green rod high at the bottom or the pullout would have to be much longer, which made the train lose about a green rod height on the zero-g, so I had to take off the weights on the last four cars so the train can have realistic speed through the first element. It was going way to fast through it and I didn't want the element to be any taller or it would not look good. I like where the height of this element is now though. The other half of the zero-g will be mirrored image as the first half. Hope you guys enjoy the pictures and test video as well!

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2240.jpg

IMG_2230.jpg

IMG_2231.jpg

Great picture of the drop

IMG_2229.jpg

IMG_2233.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

I have learned adding tubing in the middle hole of the x-ties really helps out the heart lining of any twist and makes the train not hit the x-ties when it passes through them, which helps save speed as well! As used on the first inversion and the zero g roll.

IMG_2236.jpg

The test video:

Please comment!!

Edited by IOAgeek, 19 June 2018 - 09:59 PM.

#9 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:21 AM

It looks pretty much perfect to me.  Some of the angles of the zero g roll look really good as well, but it will be easier to see when you finish the other half. 

Having too much speed is also a nice problem to have, I'm hoping for a long, sprawling layout. 

#10 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:24 PM

Reminds me a lot of a ride called Tsubasa form a while ago which is no bad thing for sure. It's got quite a cool layout going on but this is a lot bigger though. Great work so far.

Edited by CW5X, 25 June 2018 - 05:24 PM.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#11 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:09 PM

Wow, that’s one of the biggest knex wing coasters I’ve seen. I absolutely love the zero - g / giant corkscrew over the lift. It’s nice to see that instead of the usual standard zero g or Immelmann that we see on nearly every wing coaster after the drop. It looks crazily well shaped and supported. I really like what I see! Looks fantastic. Can’t wait to see the rest of this ride get built.

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

#12 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:01 AM

I love how this looks! Solid coaster.

#13 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:43 PM

That looks amazing and the zero g roll is a little different from what you'd usually see for a wingrider! Have you tested this with wingrider cars though? They might take off some speed.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#14 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

I have all six Infinity Stones

• 728 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:38 PM

This looks great so far! In my experience I've always felt that box-supported wing coasters have less speed conservation issues than tube-supported ones. Can't wait to see how the shaping on that zero-g-roll turns out. As for the cars, do you intend on extending those seats out further from the cars? The 'wings' seem a bit stubby. 

#15 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:01 AM

Reminds me a lot of a ride called Tsubasa form a while ago which is no bad thing for sure. It's got quite a cool layout going on but this is a lot bigger though. Great work so far.

Yea lol, thats where I got inpsiration from but I wanted to make it taller and a longer layout. Thanks a lot!

Wow, that’s one of the biggest knex wing coasters I’ve seen. I absolutely love the zero - g / giant corkscrew over the lift. It’s nice to see that instead of the usual standard zero g or Immelmann that we see on nearly every wing coaster after the drop. It looks crazily well shaped and supported. I really like what I see! Looks fantastic. Can’t wait to see the rest of this ride get built.

Thank you so much dude!

I love how this looks! Solid coaster.

Thank you!

That looks amazing and the zero g roll is a little different from what you'd usually see for a wingrider! Have you tested this with wingrider cars though? They might take off some speed.

The wingrider trains are doing very good so far imo, I take proper care of my SS trains by cleaning them out each year by stripping the train down and rebuilding them just like a real coaster is. 

This looks great so far! In my experience I've always felt that box-supported wing coasters have less speed conservation issues than tube-supported ones. Can't wait to see how the shaping on that zero-g-roll turns out. As for the cars, do you intend on extending those seats out further from the cars? The 'wings' seem a bit stubby. 

Box supports are pretty awesome tbh! I cant make the wings any longer since they barely clear the lift catwalks and I don;t want to redo them again. I think the wings are long enough on the train, and they look realistic imo. I don't want them hitting any supports as well.

Alright back with another update! I finally got to visit IOA again after almost two years, and I had tons of fun as always. Got to ride the updated hulk coaster and check out the new king kong ride which was really good! Cant wait for the new harry potter ride coming next year,but I will always miss dragon challenge a lot! I finished the immelmann element and I think it has great speed going through it, I only lost about a gray rod in height which is not to bad tbh. Kind of hard to get tons of good shots with this element in the corner of the room but this is what I had to work this so I hope it turned out alright. I promise I will get the updates out quicker now since I just finished the next element to the coaster. One of the best immelmanns I have ever made, and I think it turned out really well, considering it uses all gray rods on the track! There is also a test video in this update!

IMG_2619.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

I like this shot a lot!

IMG_2625.jpg

IMG_2623.jpg

IMG_2628.jpg

The test video:

Please comment as always!!

Edited by IOAgeek, 24 July 2018 - 01:03 AM.

#16 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:46 AM

My goodness... I love everything about this. The shaping is fantastic, I have no complaints. The supports are rock solid (look at all those track to support connections!) and I actually love the look of the box supports. And the speed through each element is perfect, especially those first two elements. If anything, you've got extra speed through the immelmann.

It must have been refreshing to visit IOA again! I love that park. Every time I go to a park, it gives me more inspiration to build coasters.

#17 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:51 PM

This is pretty amazing. The shaping is perfect, love the choice of elements, as well as the subtleties of the layout like the gradual turn into the immelmann which just adds more to the coaster. I'd love it more if it was tube supported but if the start of this coaster is anything to go by, this will be one of the very best box supported coasters. 

Edited by rgarner42, 30 July 2018 - 12:53 PM.

#18 G Force

G Force

Yea Man

• 1098 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:13 PM

Epic stuff.

#19 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:02 PM

My goodness... I love everything about this. The shaping is fantastic, I have no complaints. The supports are rock solid (look at all those track to support connections!) and I actually love the look of the box supports. And the speed through each element is perfect, especially those first two elements. If anything, you've got extra speed through the immelmann.

It must have been refreshing to visit IOA again! I love that park. Every time I go to a park, it gives me more inspiration to build coasters.

Thank you very much! The elements barely shake which I am very happy about that immelmann side support was tricky to do since it had to be far out enough so the train would not hit it. That new harry potter coaster looks awesome imo and I would love to recreate hulk but it may be a little to hard and Idk if I have enough speed for it tbh. I could fit the layout in that room though.

This is pretty amazing. The shaping is perfect, love the choice of elements, as well as the subtleties of the layout like the gradual turn into the immelmann which just adds more to the coaster. I'd love it more if it was tube supported but if the start of this coaster is anything to go by, this will be one of the very best box supported coasters. 

I was thinking about tube supports, but being this tall kind of a ride, I wanted to conserve some speed so I can make a long and realistic layout, plus my last coaster was tubes so I wanted to mix it up.

Epic stuff.

Haha thanks dude!

Just a quick update, I started back at school so I am not at home to get you guys some updates for the coaster, but I will be back this labor day weekend, so I will get you those updates next week. There is a few more elements done and don't worry they look great! I want to get the final video out by next month as well!

Edited by IOAgeek, 30 August 2018 - 10:03 PM.

#20 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:54 PM

Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of updates. I have been pretty busy with school work and other projects but I want to get the last few updates posted for this coaster before the final video next week! The zero g roll is the next element for the layout and I also completed the station and break run. It was pretty challenging to get the shapping correctly, but it ended up looking great, and having that purple tubing in the middle of the cross ties helped smooth the shapping out for sure. I wanted to build a wavy station roof and I think it turned out pretty good for my first attempt. The catwalks look great and are built wider to resemble ones seen on other wing riders.They do use a lot of gray 3D pieces though. Stay tuned for the final update in a few days for the completion of the layout and the final video shortly after that! Hope you enjoy the pictures and test video. What do you think of Slyph for the name of the coaster, it sounded like a cool name that has not been used?

48127115068_23499490a8_k.jpg

48127094246_3e75e29581_k.jpg

48127125543_087a4133a7_k.jpg

48127094111_df8d4a7d01_k.jpg

48127183387_2f64c6ef79_k.jpg

The Station and Break Run

48127094426_815123c533_k.jpg

48127125868_6a3c07a68d_k.jpg

48127125773_bf00c2dde8_k.jpg

48127125983_54deb51a76_k.jpg

48127125488_ef2d3780ab_k.jpg

The test video:

Please Comment!

Edited by IOAgeek, 29 May 2020 - 08:05 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sylph, wing coaster, ioageek, 2018, immelman, zero g roll