inverted coaster montu recreation tube support

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:01 PM

If you are willing to put some money into this project (maybe a lot) and buy some more sets I believe you can do it. I am building Raptor from Cedar point right now and I can tell you that inverts loose speed more quickly than sitdowns and that the taller it is the more speed loss you will have. Build the supports as strong as you can, if you want to use boxes (more sturdy than tubes) that is cool. Good luck. :)

Posted Image

#22 sdrawkcaBsihTdaeR

sdrawkcaBsihTdaeR

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

If you are willing to put some money into this project (maybe a lot) and buy some more sets I believe you can do it. I am building Raptor from Cedar point right now and I can tell you that inverts loose speed more quickly than sitdowns and that the taller it is the more speed loss you will have. Build the supports as strong as you can, if you want to use boxes (more sturdy than tubes) that is cool. Good luck. :)

Thanks for the advice, I'm planning on buying a 2-in-1 set by tomorrow...luckily. It's almost update time for me though.
Also, enough with the doubting guys! I've heard enough of the concerns (good and bad)

Update Time!

Posted Image
Added a second tube support and angled them to 45* each :)

Posted Image
I think this is almost perfectly shaped....(edit) I fixed some of the bad spots after this post)

I'm about to start the lift hill :)
Here's a test video so far, using my coaster-stay-station system (clicky-clicky)
http://i271.photobuc...zpsxxfdfftu.mp4

ReadThisBackwards

Me is CLK 10...So I Be Building Dem Tube Supports

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

New Coaster! Yay! http://www.sscoaster...-coaster-16747/

#23 ZachCreate

ZachCreate

i am very exciting...

• 343 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

O_o This looks great already! Nice. :D

For everybody else, the test video is not a broken link.

1. Maverick 2. Millennium Force 3.Top Thrill Dragster 4. Bizarro (Six Flags New England) 5. The Beast 6. X2 7. Full Throttle 8. Banshee 9. Xcelerator 10. Medusa (Six Flags Discovery Kingdom)

Posted Image

#24 Killerbunny

Killerbunny

Fear the bunny!

• 554 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

The turn needs a little more banking, and I would try to make it a little more level. This picture may be useful:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Spitfire!

Coaster Count: 73

1. Millenium Force 2. Montu 3. Top Thrill Dragster 4. Raging Bull 5. Maverick

#25 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:05 PM

It's not even shaped correctly.

Do this ride right or don't do it at all. Tubes with such a tall coaster are going to be a disaster.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#26 Killerbunny

Killerbunny

Fear the bunny!

• 554 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:25 PM

Do this ride right or don't do it at all. Tubes with such a tall coaster are going to be a disaster.

That was harsh. Look, this site is for building coasters, he didn't post this to be ridiculed. Remember, constructive criticism.

Posted Image

Thanks Spitfire!

#27 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:33 AM

It was kinda hard to find a pic of Montu's predrop, but I found this one:

Posted Image

By comparison, your predrop is not banked enough. Also, it dips down and comes back up, where yours is a gradual incline. I see you took the ladders out of the track, that makes it look better IMO, and it's sturdier. The pullin to the lift is a tad abrupt as of now, but I figure you'll fix that as you continue. Overall, not bad. However, I'm still going to advocate that you go for a custom. It's nothing against you personally.

Think of it this way, someone wants to build the Dubai tower, however they only have the materials of an average skyscraper, and the space of one. It's not a matter of skill, it's a matter of resources, space, and just general implausibility. It's basic engineering, something inverted is going to have massive speed loss, even more so with tubes. Combine that with one of the longest invert layouts ever, and everything adds up to impossible. I still think you have the potential to build a cool invert, because you have a solid start. Just keep that in mind.

You're kinda being a dick.

#28 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:44 AM

Look, I wasnt in the best of moods last night for some reason and i want to say sorry.

It's not that it's shaped badly, but it doesn't look like the real thing, as DDR posted.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

#29 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

About using tube supports, I would have to agree, I am building Raptor with tube supports and I have found that six foot tubes are not too sturdy, I would consider using boxes in at least some spots, it will give you a better chance of finishing this and I really want to see it finished. :)

Posted Image

#30 sdrawkcaBsihTdaeR

sdrawkcaBsihTdaeR

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

Look, I wasnt in the best of moods last night for some reason and i want to say sorry.

It's not that it's shaped badly, but it doesn't look like the real thing, as DDR posted.

Apology accepted. I knew you aren't normally such an ass when it comes to this stuff...don't let this happen again k? :)

As to your replys guys, I will see what I can do about the turn. to fix this, I might need to elevate the support into the lift hill, and shorten the first tube support. However, I'm not too sure how I plan to bank the turn more.
I have taken note about the speed loss issue. I'm wondering if having a shorter lift hill will decrease speed loss compared to having a taller lift hill (I suppose so). Problem is that Montu is horribly long as it is, maybe I will go custom after the zero G roll. BTW I was thinking that since the whole coaster was elevated to begin with, it may counter the issue of not getting past the batwing (speed-killer even though it will be on ground level), however I highly doubt it.
Piece count issue may come into effect as well. ATM, I have around 15 tube supports laying around inside a box (from previous tube support coaster from 2 years ago). I might have to concentrate on buying blue connectors, long grey rods, crossties, and track, but I have the money saved up; willing to spend $50 or so.
As for space, I now have about 8 more square feet from last update; saving that for the *cough* batwing.

ReadThisBackwards

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#31 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

I agree with Coastergeek, but try to be a bit less blunt???

To be honest, the turn looks nothing like it should, and you are not taking anybody's advice. Believe it or not, the people on here have experience. I woud suggest listening to them.

Here's the best pic I could find of the turn after the station. Hopefully you can see that it is banked, and dips down in the middle.

EDIT: Oops, DDR beat me to it :P
His is better.

Edited by IonZer0, 04 March 2014 - 10:45 AM.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#32 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

I agree with Coastergeek, but try to be a bit less blunt???

To be honest, the turn looks nothing like it should, and you are not taking anybody's advice. Believe it or not, the people on here have experience. I woud suggest listening to them.

Here's the best pic I could find of the turn after the station. Hopefully you can see that it is banked, and dips down in the middle.

EDIT: Oops, DDR beat me to it :P
His is better.

I think you should take your own advice, your comment seems a bit blunt as well. He is taking other peoples advice, he said he would fix the turn and acknowledges most of the things people suggested.

Posted Image

#33 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

To be honest, $50 more dollars will probably buy you about 5 feet of track.

I hate to keep arguing with you, but i don't think you see how difficult this coaster is. I have built Kumba at Busch gardens, and they are literally 10 feet with in each other as far as length. Just thought i would let you know that I ran out of pieces after the cobra roll on Kumba and i have 30,000 pieces...

And most of them being 12 SS and 5 RR...

#34 sdrawkcaBsihTdaeR

sdrawkcaBsihTdaeR

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

I'm working on the turn guys! Thanks for the pictures, they're helpful :)

#35 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

You're right. Sorry. Look, I don't see you backing down anytime soon, and until I can see your building skill, I can't really judge how well you will pull this off. So, all I can really say right now is good luck.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#36 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

I have all six Infinity Stones

• 728 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

Enough. We're all here because we love coasters. I wanna see Montu!!

#37 crazyracer

crazyracer

Architect

• 550 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

I agree the anticipation is killing me.

K`nex always for life ;)

#38 sdrawkcaBsihTdaeR

sdrawkcaBsihTdaeR

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

Update will be coming out tomorrow Guys :) I fixed the turn, lubed my train, and started 1/3 of the lift hill.
Sorry to keep you waiting. I've been very busy with school work lately.

ReadThisBackwards

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#39 sdrawkcaBsihTdaeR

sdrawkcaBsihTdaeR

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

Update Time!
New version of the turn (sadly, I had to use a sort of angled camera shot; a picture from above would expose ugly corsstie angles even though its shaped close to perfect)
Posted Image
The turn actually dips more than what is shown below..dat camera angle :(
Posted Image

Beginning of lift hill and catwalk
Posted Image

Lift Hill so far...I plan to do at least 2 more supports. If I can squeeze the space, then I'll fit 3 supports. Right now the hill is 3ft 9. It will at least go to 4.5 ft with 2 more supports; 5-ish ft with 3 more supports. However, I can move the whole lift to a different part of the room to accommodate 3 more supports. BTW there are 6 supports on the lift hill IRL. Don't worry about the catwalk also.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tell me what you guys think! Also, no more doubtful posts; it's getting irritating by now. If I can't finish the whole thing, I can always go custom! Also I got the two-in-one SSC set coming in the middle of next week :)

ReadThisBackwards

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#40 Killerbunny

Killerbunny

Fear the bunny!

• 554 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

The turn looks great now, the shaping on it looks flawless from that angle. I think the lift is a little too steep, but other than that everything looks fine.

Posted Image

Thanks Spitfire!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inverted coaster, montu recreation, tube support