Vulture K'nex Coaster (New Way to the Top Competition)

coaster dynamix hyper coaster

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Poll: Should I make a launch instead or should I make a spiral lift.

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Should I make a launch instead or should I make a spiral lift.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

So ehm... since there is no track, I can't say it's smooth or anything. I can say that your structure is absolutely not color-coded, which I think is a shame.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#22 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

Looks pretty good to me! :)

Thanks!

Not much to comment on right now, but make sure to connect the two side of the hill together on the bottom, example(third pic on my latest Blue Streak recre update where the bottom of the "tunnel" is http://www.sscoaster...html#post377646 )

Ok, I will do that.

So ehm... since there is no track, I can't say it's smooth or anything. I can say that your structure is absolutely not color-coded, which I think is a shame.

I would like to color code it but I don't have that many pieces of the same color.

Updateish. I don't feel like typing so onto the pictures.
Before
Posted Image
After
Posted Image
Closer view
Posted Image
Overviewish picture
Posted Image
Another View with new supports, don't mind Slinky in the background :P
Posted Image
Closer view
Posted Image
AAnndd that's it! Please comment(Be harsh!) and have great day! :) (thumbsup)

Edited by timtimlaz, 24 March 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#23 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

Here's your solution for color coding:

Take one type of piece, for say granites, greens, gray 3Ds, blue 3Ds, and light blue rods, etc. use all those pieces you have then once you run out use the other pieces: yellows, reds, dark blue 3Ds and purple 3Ds
If you have an obscene amount of green rods (like me, their amount compared to granites is like 2:1) then use granites and then keep the greens until you run out and need to use reds.

I actually really like the turn, it looks really good. Try to use a longer train if you can.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#24 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

I think the top of the J-turn needs to have the banking start earlier. I think the top of it would be better if it looked something like this:
Spoiler

I agree with CoasterGeek about using a longer train and color coding, BTW. Great job so far! :)

Edited by SCM, 24 March 2013 - 06:15 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#25 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

^I think he may be going more stengle dive. If you are, it should be banked at around 135 degrees. If not, and you're building an element similar to what SCM posted, then follow his advice. Also, on the topic of color coordination, it does make coasters look much better. It's alright if different elements have different color schemes, but try to have some sort of pattern.

#26 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

I don't feel like typing much so onto pictures.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Video:
SDC10152_zps44502a8b.mp4 Video by timonator1 | Photobucket
So yeah. It does go pretty fast but I kinda like it like that
Comment if you feel like it. I don't really care.

#27 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:03 AM

For the size of the loop that you have, the pull-in and pull out are very tight. I would suggest at least lengthening the valley into the loop to make it not look quite so square. At least you have lots of speed to play about with it. :)

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#28 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

Lengthen your pullin about a gray, as ^ said. Also, mirror your pullout as close as possible to your pullin.

#29 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

For the size of the loop that you have, the pull-in and pull out are very tight. I would suggest at least lengthening the valley into the loop to make it not look quite so square. At least you have lots of speed to play about with it. :)

So just lengthen the pullin?

Lengthen your pullin about a gray, as ^ said. Also, mirror your pullout as close as possible to your pullin.

So are you technically saying just shift it over a gray?

#30 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

Yeah just make it less sharp by making it longer because right now it seems like the rise and the fall of the loop have a larger radius than the pullin and pullout. Apart from that the supporting looks pretty strong.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#31 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

Now I have a big straight spot.
Posted Image
Posted Image
That's all folks!

#32 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Move the loop over a granite rod. Then it'll look better. And PLEASE color code!

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#33 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

The shaping could be improved for the coaster and please color code the pieces like cg987 said can we see a test video too!

Edited by IOAgeek, 08 May 2013 - 08:42 PM.

#34 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

I'm a test video too!

LMAO!!!
Everything looking great overall! Your loop should have a half-circle at the top of it. Then, from where the track is vertical, it should bend slightly, and then go sharper as it goes down. This will make for a better looking loop. :) The pullout closer to the camera in the bottom picture should be pushed up a bit, it's sharp right now. By the way, color coding is entirely up to the builder, but it does look better when color coded, unless the right colors are chosen in the right places. I'm with the others when they say they want you to color code it, but it's entirely up to you.
Edit 2: I'm not saying you NEED to have your coaster color coded. It's up to you, and it looks like you don't want to color code it and that's perfectly fine; it is your coaster after all.

Edited by SCM, 08 May 2013 - 07:01 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#35 poizone

poizone

Small Spaces

• 995 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

Move the loop over a granite rod. Then it'll look better. And PLEASE color code!

Psh, you kids and your color coding. I remember Gump and CC10 doing these huge color schemed rides and they were just levels above everything else. Oasis, Nitro, etc. Now we have you guys coming in and making a scene because some guy doesn't feel like sorting his plastic toys.

Currently compiling a massive list

#36 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

Now I have a big straight spot.

Not to be harsh or hatefull, but you pretty much have a straight loop there. It's an oval with flat sides.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#37 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

Yes I know how badly shaped it is. Just showing where I am currently at. I am not going to color code this so far since I don't really see why it's a big deal. Yes it does make it look overall cleaner and better but I don't feel like it and none of my pieces are sorted. Maybe my next coaster though. And Max I don't really care because I know how badly it's shaped.

#38 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

Yes I know how badly shaped it is. Just showing where I am currently at. I am not going to color code this so far since I don't really see why it's a big deal. Yes it does make it look overall cleaner and better but I don't feel like it and none of my pieces are sorted. Maybe my next coaster though. And Max I don't really care because I know how badly it's shaped.

Don't get put down by this, but Timonator, you've been here for two years now. There have been a ton of models that were built during those years, plenty of examples on everything really. But a comment like:"I don't see why colour coding is a big deal." that's just weird. Of course, it's your model and your build, but if you want to provoke positive reactions you should know how to take on a build by now, you've been here long enough to know what kind of reactions to expect when you show something to the public. You are either not trying or caring for it much. I know you have the potential to build a killer coaster, and you've already shown that in the first part of the thread, expect others to nitpick on such details. When there are a ton of people commenting about the same flaw, yes it can be annoying but it may very well mean that there is indeed a flaw and that you should look into that. For now though, leave it be.

The first version of the loop was a lot better than what you have now, I don't know what you tried to do, but you did something wrong along the build. If you can revert to the old shape, it will only needs a few minor tweaks to make it a lot better.

You wanted harsh, there you go. Nonetheless you have ton of potential, it's you who can make things happen.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#39 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

LMAO!!!
Everything looking great overall! Your loop should have a half-circle at the top of it. Then, from where the track is vertical, it should bend slightly, and then go sharper as it goes down. This will make for a better looking loop. :) The pullout closer to the camera in the bottom picture should be pushed up a bit, it's sharp right now. By the way, color coding is entirely up to the builder, but it does look better when color coded, unless the right colors are chosen in the right places. I'm with the others when they say they want you to color code it, but it's entirely up to you.
Edit 2: I'm not saying you NEED to have your coaster color coded. It's up to you, and it looks like you don't want to color code it and that's perfectly fine; it is your coaster after all.

Sorry stupid spell check and me typing fast don't go together with me, trust me!!!!

#40 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

I think that this is so much better. Still working on the shaping though.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coaster dynamix, hyper coaster